Newcomer to Dish and scared (sorta)

Recon42

Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
My mom ordered Dish Network for all 4 rooms of the house and I was a little confused on what STB I'll be getting. I am the only one in the household that have an HDTV (I'm the tech junkie in the family my parents can't even work a computer lol) and all 3 bedrooms are next to each (South,East,West) other. So I have an Olevia 527v 27inch LCD 1080i capable hdtv and I only have 1 hdmi input, 1 composite, and 1 s-video input. The problem is that I have a coaxial connector, but it's only able to receive OTA transmissions. So I'm guessing that the tech will use one of my inputs and here's where my issue lies. I wish to see my OTA channels in their native 1080i (specifically CBS), yet I think I won't get the HDTV box since my mom signed up for the America's Top 100 and not the Zoom subscription. So will the tech lease us the HDTV STB since I have an hdtv and want to view my OTA channels and view certain event/shows on regular channels in "HD" or will he just stick me with the ol' composite regular def stb and look at 480i (which is the worst thing to ever view on a lcd)?

You should be able to verify the order (don't know if you can change it until installation). Most receivers can output via rf, composite and s-video so you can change the hookup after tech leaves. Also an HD receiver can be purchased and added after installation is complete New HD receiver can use HDMI and also has digital tuner so you can split your OTA and input through an HD receiver and also hook directly to the tv and have them in both places.

Well I know that as I explained before the problem is that I don't want to have to hook it up to s-video/composite cause 480i is just not appealing to me and in my eyes will make my t.v. experience unpleasant/unwatchable. So I was wondering if Dishnetwork will give us a HDtv tuner despite us not having the HD subscription, but only based on the fact that I have an HDTV and I'm sure they know any resolution below 720p/i is not pleasing (especially 480i) and I STILL WANT my HD shows like Conan O'Brian and The Office on my OTA channel(s).

Well I know that as I explained before the problem is that I don't want to have to hook it up to s-video/composite cause 480i is just not appealing to me and in my eyes will make my t.v. experience unpleasant/unwatchable. So I was wondering if Dishnetwork will give us a HDtv tuner despite us not having the HD subscription, but only based on the fact that I have an HDTV and I'm sure they know any resolution below 720p/i is not pleasing (especially 480i) and I STILL WANT my HD shows like Conan O'Brian and The Office on my OTA channel(s).

There isn't going to be any real improvent in SD PQ via an HD receiver. In other words, your won't get a SD picture that looks like 720p or 1080i just because you have the box. There is an extra $6 fee for having an HD receiver w/o the package but you can get one.

I'm running a 622 and a 211 in my house, and I have the 211 hooked directly to an Vizio 32" LCD in the bedroom via HDMI, and I have combined the signal from both my OTA antenna in the attic and the TV2 RF output on the 622 and connected that to the coax input. By simply changing inputs, I could watch OTA HD using either the 211 or through the tuner built into the television.

As I understand your dilemma, here's what I'd be looking for. With a 4 room setup, I'm guessing that Dish will install 2 twin tuner receivers. For the easiest solution, just get one of the receivers installed in your room to be connected directly to the tv via component or svideo, and you still have your coax open for OTA.

As for picture quality, even SD through the dish looks very good on my 32" LCD, so I wouldn't be freaking out and saying that SD will be totally unwatchable.

I just wanted it for viewing my native HD OTA channels like CBS HD which shows native 1080i or upscaled HD resolutions and I heard other channels like ABC and Fox air HD programming for select shows/events like a MLG game or 24. I wanted to get the Zoom programming, offering my mom 60 dollars for when the deal of HD programming for new customers expired, but she was rather stubborn and thought it wasn't necessary for me to get HD programming for my HDTV (lol doesn't make sense but hey its her service not mine can't complain there)..

Edit*
I guess I can live with standard def, I was just hoping to see some South American natives documentary or whatever in high def.. I guess my dreams will have to wait until Microsoft releases their IPTV service for the 360 and I'll see if I can subscribe to that hehe. Thanks for the help.

I have another question to ask of you guys/gals if you don't mind. When we moved in the previous owners already had Dish 500 satellite dishes installed (2 to be exact) and the whole house is wired and I was wondering what will the Dish network tech do with them? Will it be compatible with my Dish 100 package? Will they take it down and keep it saying its Dish network property (I'm not that dumb had to ask though)? Will they just uninstall it and I have to keep in the garage?

Thnx in advanced

If you don't get an HD box, you have to use rf, composite or s-video as they do not have component or HDMI. If you get an HD box, you can use the HDMI and have your OTA hooked up to the HD box and directly into your tv (you may want this if you get a dvr). You sd may be ok via the HDMI or may look better via s-video or composite. You will have to experiment with it to see what looks best to you (as a tech junkie, thought you would enjoy testing this stuff out). The four room hookups can be changed after initial install. Sounds like you are kinda freakin out before even knowing what you have. Let us know what happens and we can walk you through your options when you know better what they may be.

I'm running a 622 and a 211 in my house, and I have the 211 hooked directly to an Vizio 32" LCD in the bedroom via HDMI, and I have combined the signal from both my OTA antenna in the attic and the TV2 RF output on the 622 and connected that to the coax input. By simply changing inputs, I could watch OTA HD using either the 211 or through the tuner built into the television.

As I understand your dilemma, here's what I'd be looking for. With a 4 room setup, I'm guessing that Dish will install 2 twin tuner receivers. For the easiest solution, just get one of the receivers installed in your room to be connected directly to the tv via component or svideo, and you still have your coax open for OTA.

As for picture quality, even SD through the dish looks very good on my 32" LCD, so I wouldn't be freaking out and saying that SD will be totally unwatchable.

Only HD receivers have component (blue, green and red), HD and non HD both have composite (red, white and yellow).

I just wanted it for viewing my native HD OTA channels like CBS HD which shows native 1080i or upscaled HD resolutions and I heard other channels like ABC and Fox air HD programming for select shows/events like a MLG game or 24. I wanted to get the Zoom programming, offering my mom 60 dollars for when the deal of HD programming for new customers expired, but she was rather stubborn and thought it wasn't necessary for me to get HD programming for my HDTV (lol doesn't make sense but hey its her service not mine can't complain there)..

Edit*
I guess I can live with standard def, I was just hoping to see some South American natives documentary or whatever in high def.. I guess my dreams will have to wait until Microsoft releases their IPTV service for the 360 and I'll see if I can subscribe to that hehe. Thanks for the help.

I have another question to ask of you guys/gals if you don't mind. When we moved in the previous owners already had Dish 500 satellite dishes installed (2 to be exact) and the whole house is wired and I was wondering what will the Dish network tech do with them? Will it be compatible with my Dish 100 package? Will they take it down and keep it saying its Dish network property (I'm not that dumb had to ask though)? Will they just uninstall it and I have to keep in the garage?

Thnx in advanced

They won't let you get just the Voom package anymore. The $20/month HD package is the only choice.

They will most likely use one of the D500's. That will get you the 110/119 birds for sd. If you somehow talk mom into HD they can use the second 500 for HD or change it all out to a 1000 depending on your location.

If you don't get an HD box, you have to use rf, composite or s-video as they do not have component or HDMI. If you get an HD box, you can use the HDMI and have your OTA hooked up to the HD box and directly into your tv (you may want this if you get a dvr). You sd may be ok via the HDMI or may look better via s-video or composite. You will have to experiment with it to see what looks best to you (as a tech junkie, thought you would enjoy testing this stuff out). The four room hookups can be changed after initial install. Sounds like you are kinda freakin out before even knowing what you have. Let us know what happens and we can walk you through your options when you know better what they may be.

Hehe thanks I know I'll have fun with this new satellite. I'm afraid that I'm gonna really p!$$ off the tech person cause I'll ask them so many questions lol and ask to help with pretty much everything. Lol when we moved in our new home (last summer exactly 1 week from now) I literally removed the whole wiring throughout the house (thnx dry wall lol) and replaced them with extra shielded coaxial cables and shorter length cords due to the 9 feet of excess cord within the walls (which we all know can result in quality loss).

They won't let you get just the Voom package anymore. The $20/month HD package is the only choice.

They will most likely use one of the D500's. That will get you the 110/119 birds for sd. If you somehow talk mom into HD they can use the second 500 for HD or change it all out to a 1000 depending on your location.

My mistake when I spoke of the Voom package I meant the whole HD package. Also that plan won't fly with her (pun unintended) cause I think she's a lil jealous of HDTV just for the sake of being mad at me :D . I think it was cause she was rather sleepy when we ordered the dish service and I told her to cancel the HD programming if it made her nervous, so it was ultimately my own doing. Thats what I get for having a conscious...

Hey I went on the Dish network site and configured a mock online order and it showed that I automatically get the HD tuner despite the fact that my mom didn't order the HD program. So that's a plus and the billing matched the billing my mom is willing to pay. Now my next question for you guys to tackle is whether or not the Dish Network tech will give me a "free" HDMI plug to use? I normally would buy my own, but it would be a lesser issue to tackle if he/she would kindly give me one out of the van or something.

I know those things run at around 10-20 bucks (newegg.com is around 10 bucks).

Hey I went on the Dish network site and configured a mock online order and it showed that I automatically get the HD tuner despite the fact that my mom didn't order the HD program. So that's a plus and the billing matched the billing my mom is willing to pay. Now my next question for you guys to tackle is whether or not the Dish Network tech will give me a "free" HDMI plug to use? I normally would buy my own, but it would be a lesser issue to tackle if he/she would kindly give me one out of the van or something.

I know those things run at around 10-20 bucks (newegg.com is around 10 bucks).

If you don't order HD you won't get an HD receiver unless specifically requested. At least I've never seen a new SD only order get one.

You are not going to get an HD receiver if you didn't order the HD package. Trust me. If you did a 4 room SD only setup you'll likely get two 322 receivers.

Exactly, why don't you chip in the $20 a month for the HD package, now is the time with your 1st order as equipment is free... Getting a dual tuner HD receiver and feeding one of the SD TV's off the 2nd tuner which is output in SD...

Exactly, why don't you chip in the $20 a month for the HD package, now is the time with your 1st order as equipment is free... Getting a dual tuner HD receiver and feeding one of the SD TV's off the 2nd tuner which is output in SD...

Once again guys my mom is always one to deny logic, especially if I am willing to pay for the rest of the 8 months in cash and I have 3 months in cash to give, but she says I should save my cash for something worthwhile (school clothes lol) or give to her to put in my savings account (typical old fashion mom). It doesn't help that she doesn't understand todays technology... Maybe I can convince her some how...

*EDIT*
Well since (almost) all hope is gone of getting HD programming (which is why I got the HD t.v. in the 2nd place hehe 360/pc first) would you think the tech would feel sympathy for me if I didn't have any available inputs? Like what if I plugged in my PS2 (composite) and plug in a old dvd player (s-video) and have nothing but HDMI? Do you think he/she would say, "Well I guess I gotta give you the HD tuner then" or will he/she say, "Well kid you're screwed unless you remove that ps2/dvd player"?

I know what I'm proposing if indeed evil, but hey I'm at straws here and I want to atleast win one war against "Big D" :cool:

Last edited:
He will probably connect your tv to the worst possible option, RG6 or coax from the tuner which he will locate in another room, giving you the worst possible picture possible........lol

Well he's gonna have a hard time trying to do that since my t.v. doesn't accept signals from anything but an antenna so he's gonna have to put it in my room. Also when he/she see my room , I think we all know which room the stb will go in ;) :

Well the picture below shows (I hope) proof that I should and any NEW customer will be getting the HDTV box despite not having the HD package. Also my mom says she has to pay the extra 6 bucks for equipment for something. So that something could be the HD tuner. I guess I'm a but anxious since its been almost 2 years since I have had cable/sat service. If I watch another episode of One Tree Hill, I'm gonna flip.. :mad:

And in the fine print in really really small leters it says, " * To see what local channels are available in your area please click here. Local channels may vary by market. Only channels denoted by 'HD' are in high definition. Those without this notation are only available in standard definition". So does this confirm my previous comments and if the tech guy doesn't want to give me the stb or trys to treat me like an average customer and says the basic will provide HD or some other b/s can I show him the statement above and hold him to what I'm entitled to?

^ Why are you always trying to bring me down?? I WILL SUCCEED I WILL BEAT BIG D I WILL!!! Well unless you show me some valid or attempt of information like I did and such then you can go suck a lemon..

My question still stands and if anyone with and HDtv but with SD programming who's a RECENT new customer could back up my info then please do the right thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)