News Channel uplinks

joeh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Louisville, KY Aera
I was just woundering, how to the local and national news channels uplink there moblie truck signals up to the satellites in the sky and then back down. Do they each own a bird, or who supplies them?

Although most local only news spots are transmitted from the truck to the station via a microwave link

yeah,

only the big events are worth the money to go via satellite... usually only national broadcasts are done over satellite.

anyone know how far microwave transmissions can reach?

thanks guys for your repsonces. here were i get my locals from, all 3 news stations have trucks, with a dish and a big tower (microwave transmitter) mounted on them. Thanks

I assume either those are fairly directional transmissions, or each local TV station is licensed only to transmit on certain frequencies. That way for example WSOL doesn't accidentally pick up WWTF's remote feed when they cut to their live shot.

Yes they are on specific frequencies, however microwave is also LINE OF SITE, that means if the microwave truck does not have a shot to a microwave link or to the studio then microwave does not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)