News Corp. Outlines Its Plans for DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Their doing something which I predicted over a year ago and that was they would upgrade EVERYONE to a PVR.

I also am predicting that they will have a FREE version of its Tivo software and a more feature advanced version with all the Tivo Features many have come to know and love.

It will be interesting to see how Dish fires back.

They need to do better than $500+ for a dual tuner PVR. If the price isn't right on the 522, I will be going to D* soon after. I'm in no rush, but I do want a dual tuner box.

Dual tuners does not mean as much when they do not have two tv outputs.

I have also been thinking this past year that all consumers will have a DVR device (whether built into a tv, satellite receiver, cable box, etc).

This article above states that they would roll out one million DVR receivers per year. Thats not even close to all of DirecTv's customers like I seen mentioned before. I think its more likely that all 210 local DMA's will be launched than all customers to receive a DVR receiver for free. Will it really be free if DirecTV decides to raise everyone's bill $5 to make up for the hardware costs?

I do see that they plan on launching all 210 local DMA markets but I think waiting until 2006-2008 is a bit too long. I know Dish Network can do it before then and probably does not even need to launch as many satellites if any at all to accomplish this.

Also they said that they would be launching these satellites in 2006-2008 for more HD services. Do they plan on not having many HD services until those satellites are up? Too little too late too bad. By that time digital will be mandatory for all tv's and OTA signals and there will probably be more emphasis on locals to be broadcast in HD by that time.

DirecTV cannot wait until 2006-2008 to launch all the locals and have a good increase in HD. The time is now and if they are going to do it, they need to steadily do it over the next few years. If they get to 100 markets by the end of the year then they could add 4-5 markets a month and have all the markets up in a couple years.

Unfortunately, as long as it takes to make a satellite, there may be no other choice other than leasing some satellite space such as 105 in which I seen DirecTv had interest in leasing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts