News Now On in HD...Channel called "HDNews"...

I wonder if HDnews is going to get highlights of the Super Bowl tomorrow after is over. I see that they have shown only sports hightlights of Knicks and Rangers. They could also show sports highlights of 4x3 SD sports in a small window. How do you guys feel about that?

I see that they are showcasing at least three different HD videos from CES 2004. I wonder what you guys have to say about the PQ of HDnews compare to HDnet on E* or D*. I have E* and can say that the PQ is equal to HDnet. Maybe because I am a little biased I would say that HDnet will be a just a little above but not too far from what we are seeing in HDnews.

I saw highlights of the "PGA TOUR AT&T PEBBLE BEACH NATIONAL PRO-AM GOLF TOURNAMENT" this morning in HDnews. It looks that they are trying very hard to get as much HD highlights as possible.

Hey all,

I actually found this site through google.

I'm a graphic artist for HDNews, I saw this thread and thought it would be a great resource for feedback.

So please, tell me, what do you think of our show? The graphics?

Also, any questions please feel free to ask.

-Evan

Yes I agree, good channel, graphics are great and getting better. They need a little more variety in music clips right now, but all in all a great channel, and I am in LOVE with that blond......mmmmmmmmm, that smile is gonna kill me.

Kudos to Voom for the bravery to even attempt this channel, this is also proof they are in it for the long haul

lookatevan said:
Hey all,

I actually found this site through google.

I'm a graphic artist for HDNews, I saw this thread and thought it would be a great resource for feedback.

So please, tell me, what do you think of our show? The graphics?

Also, any questions please feel free to ask.

-Evan

Welcome to the forum. I like the HDNews. It is the first channel I turn on in the morning to watch the News. Mainly because it is HD. I love the efforts you guys are doing. The only issue with me is the sound drop that I get constantly. The sound drop is very annoying. It was better two days ago but it has going back to the same problem.

The graphics and videos are superb and I know you guys have plans to add more. This is what I think you guys should do. The format of the news is right now like HDnews but can you change the format so that we do not think we are in a constant loop going from Health & Science news to Entertainment news to sports and so on (I do not think this is the order but you get my point). Can you guys get talk show news with a host so that the news varies?

Instead of the weather map with a background voice, can we get an actual meterologist explaning the weather conditions like the weather channel and go into more details. Can we get weather news (like tracking storms and watching actual video)?

I think you guys are doing a great job and the video is excellent!

Evan - thanks for introduciing yourself - although you may regret it!

I like the graphics on HDN just fine, but I've had a problem with them that I've noticed the past few days. I'm getting the top of the graphics cut off the screen (like right now for example the "HD Market Reports" box is cut off. It's really noticable on the weather titles which are very top-justified. Did the position change recently, or it this just overscan (underscan) on my tv that I never noticed before.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,
Tracey

Evan:

HDNews is visually very pleasing. Graphically I could offer a couple of suggestions. There are often statistics put up on the screen for league leaders in various categories. They often are broken up into multiple pages which seems like a waste as with HD I find reading smaller text is not a problem - on SD it would be fuzzy mush if the text were small. Anyway I think font size on all graphics in HD could be smaller. Also, I'd like to see a news ticker at the bottom of the screen. The set is nicely designed, rich with color and depth. The photo montages are a nice break. Nice work all around really.

They had HD video clips from NBA saturday all star festivity and NBA All Star game. It was on HDNews immediately after the game was over. I have also a video Clip of a regular Utah game. I also see a new Anchor. Very nice looking women. One interested thing is that the NBA All Star HD video clip does not show the pixelation I was seeing last night on E* in the fast video motion and the video clip looked very good. The HD video clip was not long to really evaluate the PQ of the entire game.

I am still having problems with the digital sound on this channel. The sound keeps dropping.

To SD or not to SD?

One of the great advantages of being an early adopter and dealing with a young company like VOOM, is that you get to talk to people who are actually making it happen, be it Wilt or Evan. So we can be heard, and can influence the outcome. Isn't this exciting?!!

Evan: HDNews looks great! I love this channel! You guys did a great job with it! And I really admire VOOM's "extremist" approach to showing 100% HD content only! I think this is the way to do it to make HD happen.

However, I fear there will be a moment in time when your management will face a tough decision: to show particular material in SD, or not to show it at all. And it may happen, that the material will be so important, that they will choose to show SD. If this ever happens, I think I have a good idea for you. Please pass it on to your decision-makers:

If you show SD content in a smaller window (next to the commentator), and carefully choose the most appropriate size of the window, it will have the same visual resolution and sharpness as the rest of the screen. So, in fact, it will have HD quality! (If you work in computer graphics, you should understand exactly what I am talking about). I think this could be the way to show SD content in HD quality. Instead of upconverting, you could simply reduce the size of the image and achieve the same pixel resolution. And this obviously only works for a news channel!

Again, I am not advising HDNews to show SD content. I like it the way it is: HD-only. But if you ever need to show SD, this could be the way to do it.

Just give it a thought.

Just saw a HD clip of Alex Rodriguez press conference introduction at Yankee Stadium. Wow this clip looked excellent! I wished to have seen more but it is good that HDNews included this. I also would like the news period to be increased. Right now it runs on a 15 minute cycle. I know HDNews started and it will be the goal to increase the cycle.

Wow! Longer HD video clip of the Yankees News Conference of A-Rod. Jeter, A-Rod, Torres, Harrold Reynolds, from ESPN, Charlie Steiner, reporters and the video looks amazing! Sorry Red Sox Fans but A-Rod looks good in Yanks Uniform...!

This morning saw clips of WS EDT of Yesterday Nascar Race on Fox on HDnews. Ugly! but it's a good sign that HDnews would get HD video clips from fox once it starts delivering HD signal in the fall.

Just saw that highlights of the Boston basketball game on HDnews. They got it courtesy of ESPN-HD. This is good news that they are getting more HD clips from different sources (even ESPN-HD) . Also, anybody noticed the new logo. Big HDN logo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)