Nexstar and White Knight pull locals from Dish.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Nexstar-Operated Mission Broadcasting and White Knight Broadcasting Pull Local Channels from DISH TV Customers

Mission and White Knight demand unreasonable rate increases as their viewership with DISH subscribers continues to decline
Mission and White Knight rejected DISH's extension offers to keep programming accessible to customers while negotiations continue
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 6, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Mission Broadcasting and White Knight Broadcasting local channels, both operated by Nexstar Media Group, were removed from DISH TV today, affecting access in 28 markets nationwide. With this removal, DISH customers no longer have access to the local channels in Mission's markets, such as ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW and MNT, and to White Knight stations in two markets.

DISH logo (PRNewsfoto/DISH)

"Both programming groups rejected DISH's contract extension offers to keep programming available for customers while we continue to negotiate," said Brian Neylon, group president, DISH TV. "We're disappointed Mission and White Knight have chosen this course of action. The demanded fees are unreasonable given that Mission and White Knight's viewership on DISH have significantly declined over the past three years, indicating that many viewers have moved to other channels for programming they prefer."

Mission and White Knight's actions are not unexpected. In the past year, the Nexstar-controlled programmers removed channels from Comcast, DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse and Verizon Fios. Mission is currently in a long-term dispute with DirecTV. It pulled its channels from DirecTV customers in mid-October, forcing more than a million customers to look elsewhere to watch their favorite programming.

"Broadcasters like Mission and White Knight often block customer access as they negotiate for higher rates," added Neylon. "We will continue to fight on behalf of DISH customers to keep prices as low as possible. We hope Mission and White Knight will continue to negotiate with us in good faith so we can minimize the disruption to our customers."

DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.

Stations Affected:

Mission:

(NBC: KRBC) - Abilene, TX
(FOX: WXXA) - Albany, NY
(CW: KWBQ) - Albuquerque, NM
(MNT: KASY) - Albuquerque, NM
(FOX: KCIT) - Amarillo, TX
(MNT: KCPN) - Amarillo, TX
(FOX: KHMT) - Billings, MT
(ABC: WVNY) - Burlington, VT
(FOX: KLJB) - Davenport, IA
(FOX: WFXP) - Erie, PA
(CW: WTVW) - Evansville, IN
(FOX: KFQX) - Grand Junction, CO
(ABC: KODE) - Joplin, MO
(ABC: WLAJ) - Lansing, MI
(FOX: KLRT) - Little Rock, AR
(CW: KASN) - Little Rock, AR
(ABC: KAMC) - Lubbock, TX
(NBC: KTVE) - Monroe, LA
(CW: WPIX) - New York, NY
(FOX: KPEJ) - Odessa, TX
(FOX: WNAC) - Providence, RI
(ABC: WTVO) - Rockford, IL
(NBC: KSAN) - San Angelo, TX
(FOX: KMSS) - Shreveport, LA
(CBS: KOLR) - Springfield, MO
(ABC: WAWV) - Terre Haute, IN
(ABC: WUTR) - Utica, NY
(FOX: KJTL) - Wichita Falls, TX
(MNT: KJBO) - Wichita Falls, TX
(CBS: WYOU) - Wilkes Barre, PA
White Knight:

(NBC: WVLA) - Baton Rouge, LA
(FOX: KFXK) - Tyler-Longview-Lufkin, TX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
when i spoke to the rep today. i told him i wanted an antenna to. his reply was like why do you want once of those things when we offer the locals via sat. i just said to save the 12.00 a month:D. and mainly for times like these!!!

Wasn't Nexstar just off a few years ago?

The government needs to break up these conglomerates. As the issuer of both business licenses and broadcasting licenses, it would be fully within their power to do so by fiat. It shouldn't even be an issue for debate at this point. The government is supposed to be protecting citizens. Corporations aren't citizens because they aren't people.

Wasn't Nexstar just off a few years ago?

The government needs to break up these conglomerates. As the issuer of both business licenses and broadcasting licenses, it would be fully within their power to do so by fiat. It shouldn't even be an issue for debate at this point. The government is supposed to be protecting citizens. Corporations aren't citizens because they aren't people.
i'm willing to bet the goverment is getting there pockets padded to don't think there not...

when i spoke to the rep today. i told him i wanted an antenna to. his reply was like why do you want once of those things when we offer the locals via sat. i just said to save the 12.00 a month:D. and mainly for times like these!!!
And access to the sub-channels as well, potentially better picture quality too.

and to think they want more money when the locals alone brought in almost 14 billion last year!!!
One side of the coin is that conglomeration leads to all sorts of bad things, despite us being told otherwise. The leverage has grown notably. Granted, this does actually apply to both sides of the coin, cable and locals (Sat has been limited forever). Fewer cable companies negotiating with fewer local channel distributors. Odd that Dish, part of a partial monopoly for Sat TV... is actually the best overall provider (as long as you aren't too big into local sports).

Other side is that the DVR and possibly the main networks have changed things. Primetime TV isn't what it used to be. And the DVR has reduced the value of commercials. So the business model for local television has changed.

That said... demanding to be paid (well in excess of the cost of providing the signal) to provide a product you give away seems incredibly dumb.