Nexstar, DISH Network reach multi-year agreement

I got my NBC local back but not FOX local. The FOX local is also operated by Nexstar and the two stations are shown as sister stations. I don't understand why I got one and not the other.

• Wow
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Since it's been several years since the last locals price increase should we assume there have been no retrans fee increases since then according to your logic?
This deal covered hundreds of locals...I remember $5 locals..now $13... the last nexstar deal was quite awhile ago

Reactions: Howard Simmons
This deal covered hundreds of locals...I remember $5 locals..now $13... the last nexstar deal was quite awhile ago
Locals are currently $12, and it's been several years since the jump from $10. In any event, any future increases will still not tell us what the Nexstar settlement was since there will be a number of other contract settlements in between. The station owners and Dish, DTV, etc., never disclose the settlement terms.

Locals are currently $12, and it's been several years since the jump from $10. In any event, any future increases will still not tell us what the Nexstar settlement was since there will be a number of other contract settlements in between. The station owners and Dish, DTV, etc., never disclose the settlement terms.
What do yiu think the $12 or $13 pays for?... it pays the local carriage fees...so when a large number of locals increases..the fee will increase...LA and NY have more locals than most areas and pay the same price...but when a huge contract is settled the price HAS to increase...i prefer the old days..$5 locals and $5 distants..must have been before your time

The question was how much was the Nexstar settlement for, to which you said the next locals increase would tell us. It will not... The next increase, whenever it is, will simply tell us that the total of all locals settlements since the last increase reached a level where Dish saw a need to increase the subscriber fee to the next increment. Of course I'd prefer that Dish went back to the old $5 rate, but as a realist I know that's just wishful thinking.

Oh, and Nexstar only owns or controls 196 of the more than 1,700 commercial and educational TV stations. Not counting the 1,800+ low power stations.

In the dispute message video, Brian Neylon claimed that Dish loses money every time a subscriber purchases the locals package. So, if Dish ever did actually make money at the old rate, it has already reached the point where Dish is taking a loss, to offset any money that they made previously. It is then no wonder that Dish keeps having disputes with larger and larger station groups, for longer amounts of time. The money Dish saves by not paying all of those locals for that long of a time is what allows Dish to continue to be able to afford to charge the same price. The price Dish charges us does not go down (automatically anyway, you have to call or chat to complain) whenever some local channels get dropped. So, Dish continues to collect the money from us in the meantime, to be able to afford to pay the increased rate later.

Furthermore, Dish had already announced their upcoming price increases long before this dispute was settled. So, Dish already knew how much of an increase they would be willing to accept. The rest of this dispute after that point was just showboating. I think Dish delayed the dispute resolution until Christmas on purpose. That way, we would be so grateful, remembering that we got the locals back as a "Christmas present," that we would not mind the immediate increase on our monthly bills next month.

Reactions: fmj77
In the dispute message video, Brian Neylon claimed that Dish loses money every time a subscriber purchases the locals package. So, if Dish ever did actually make money at the old rate, it has already reached the point where Dish is taking a loss, to offset any money that they made previously. It is then no wonder that Dish keeps having disputes with larger and larger station groups, for longer amounts of time. The money Dish saves by not paying all of those locals for that long of a time is what allows Dish to continue to be able to afford to charge the same price. The price Dish charges us does not go down (automatically anyway, you have to call or chat to complain) whenever some local channels get dropped. So, Dish continues to collect the money from us in the meantime, to be able to afford to pay the increased rate later.

Furthermore, Dish had already announced their upcoming price increases long before this dispute was settled. So, Dish already knew how much of an increase they would be willing to accept. The rest of this dispute after that point was just showboating. I think Dish delayed the dispute resolution until Christmas on purpose. That way, we would be so grateful, remembering that we got the locals back as a "Christmas present," that we would not mind the immediate increase on our monthly bills next month.
What dish didn't say is how many customers they gained by carrying locals..they always seem to forget about that part of the equation

Reactions: MrDRC
Oh, and Nexstar only owns or controls 196 of the more than 1,700 commercial and educational TV stations. Not counting the 1,800+ low power stations.
They dropped alot more than 196...nexstar also controls mission broadcasting amongst other shell companies...you can argue all day long in you if you want but at the end of the day the price of locals will increase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)