Nexstar dispute looming...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I’m fortunate in a couple ways with this one. One is they don’t have any stations in my DMA and two is I get all my locals via antenna just fine.

Other stories about this say it is a huge increase they are asking for and making Dish carry the low rated WGN.

Today, Dish uplinked a bunch of separate OTA guide data streams, and removed the OTA mapdowns from the satellite-delivered feeds of the Nexstar-owned stations:

So by now, we all know what this means: Dish is preparing for yet another local channel dispute.
In time having locals via any satellite/cable service will not be worth it. If the dispute goes in Portland both CBS (KOIN) and CW (KRCW) are affected. Glad I get mine OTA. Since the advent of 3.0 in Portland, the Portland stations stacked and out OUR offerings went from 16 to 26. Giving us Antenna TV and COZI. I am glad Dish has added some diginets, so those are not affected.

Yes, I noticed that on the list, also. So, we just went through one superstation dispute with WPIX (Scripps) and now there may soon be a dispute involving KTLA and KWGN. If so, then that would mean all of the former Tribune-owned superstations would have been taken down again due to a dispute over a relatively short time-frame, even though they now have different owners. Let's not forget that we actually did lose all three of those at the same time once before, during the Tribune dispute in 2016.
Add to that, a friend called yesterday that has Direct, and it looks like they may have a dispute with Sinclair that has ABC KATU. In time the satellite/cable services will not be able to afford to carry locals. Many streaming services do not now. The TV station owners are pricing themselves out of the market. I guess Dish still has the dispute going on with Apollo that owns KIRO in Seattle. If the dispute happens with Nexstar hits, then good bye KOIN/KRCW Portland for Dish viewers. I am happy I get them OTA for free.

Our NBC affiliate (owned by Tegna) was running a crawl this morning saying their agreement with D* expires at 6 PM on November 30th

So when does this all go down Nov 30th? We have lost WSOC ABC and WAXN IND 64 has been off since mid july and now we are gong to add Fox 46 and WMYT IND 55 to it.. That will be a loss of 4 local channels.

Just got a message from Dish not the local CBS station to go to channel 37 about this. All they are talking about is Nexstar and not any other disputes. :mad:
Guess who's televising the Super Bowl this year? CBS. I'm screwed!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Only if this dispute lasts as long as the Tribune dispute did last time.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Our NBC affiliate (owned by Tegna) was running a crawl this morning saying their agreement with D* expires at 6 PM on November 30th
Yes, I saw that crawl many times on my local NBC affiliate from Cleveland, while I was watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade earlier today. I was thinking, "Man am I glad that I don't have Directv!" Then I checked the uplink reports today and saw that the sh*t just hit the fan with preparations for the Nexstar dispute, which would take away my local Fox affiliate. Unfortunately, those two stations (NBC and Fox) are the channels that my sister watches for local news most of the time. So, she would be screwed either way. :(

Directv vs. Tegna is Nov. 30th at 8 PM Eastern.
Dish vs. Nexstar is Dec. 2
:facepalm:mad:
dish-tegna.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish and Tegna was 2018. That was a short-lived dispute, thankfully. (Although they did have a longer dispute a few years before that one.) Look for Dish and Tegna to have another dispute next year. (See, I am giving you a one-year heads-up on this one. So don't say I didn't warn you!)
By that time my contract will be up. Thank you for the heads up.:D

Reactions: pattykay
WCMH Columbus just started their warning banner today.

I saw the crawl on NBC WCMH channel 4 announcing that Dish would lose the channel on Wednesday December 2 at 7 PM.

Dish also added a message on the bottom of the Guide telling me to tune to channel 37 for an Important Message About Your NBC.
They also mapped that channel to 005-00.

I am probably ok since I can receive the channel using the OTA adapters on both of my Hopper3 receivers. I will need to add timers for channel 04-01 since I normally just use PTAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I wonder when carriers will find it impossible to carry locals? With Nexstar wanting a Billion dollars in fees, aren't we getting to that point? Dish refuses to pay that and I support it, but if the viewer cannot get their local network station, something needs to change. Maybe the viewers need to flood the phones to the FCC demanding if there is a dispute, temporarily offer an out of market station until the dispute is over. How long will it be when the carriers refuse to carry locals? Used to be all we got were East/West Networks. Maybe we need to go back to those days? Carrying locals is getting waaaaay to expensive. There is no reason why the fees should be expensive, as they offer the channels OTA for free. Most can get them from an antenna. I do feel for the ones who can't. Also most of the network programs do stream now, so if you have high speed, that is also an option. Also most main TV station do stream their local news.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)