Nexstar dispute looming...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I can deal with this since I have good OTA and a OTA Adapter. Hopefully we will retain the guide data. What I can't deal with is the constant bombardment crawl on the screen which is just plain distracting. Usually we get one from the station talking about how bad Dish is for this and then Dish runs another one right behind it talking about how bad the Station is for removing it..

Reactions: pattykay
My Fox local has been in dispute for six months and now it looks like my NBC local will also no longer be available. I have the local package because I live too far out from some station towers to receive an ota signal. I would need a deep fringe antenna with booster and router atop a 50' tower to pull in some of the local stations. When I lost Fox (which carries most of the Cowboy games and the only reason I watch it) I called Dish because they were sending out free ota antennas. They told me I was not eligible to receive one because I would not be able to pick up all the locals with it.

If in fact I lose NBC next week, it looks like Youtube tv is in my future, as I am pretty sure they carry all my locals.

I wonder when carriers will find it impossible to carry locals? With Nexstar wanting a Billion dollars in fees, aren't we getting to that point? ...
I think we have pretty much gotten to that point now. Dish has already said recently that the dropped Apollo stations are likely never coming back, since subscribers have other ways to access the programming on them. Also, for at least a couple of years now, Dish's Zanesville local package has been Zanesville-in-name-only, since Dish refuses to come to an agreement with WHIZ, Zanesville's NBC affiliate which is the only station actually in their market. All the rest of the networks are fill-in "distants" from Columbus. It really makes me wonder why Zanesville still needs to have its own separate market at all. Just merge the Zanesville DMA into the Columbus DMA, and be done with it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The local affiliates are trying to make up for the lost revenue caused by cord cutters by gouging those that are left. They should be required to put up enough repeaters in their DMA to cover the entire area and allow out of market affiliates to stream or be offered by service providers.

I have an antenna and refuse to pay retrans fees. If I don't get their channel by antenna, I don't watch it.

The local affiliates are trying to make up for the lost revenue caused by cord cutters by gouging those that are left. They should be required to put up enough repeaters in their DMA to cover the entire area and allow out of market affiliates to stream or be offered by service providers.

I have an antenna and refuse to pay retrans fees. If I don't get their channel by antenna, I don't watch it.
Time to look into a OTA DVR setup. Some are quite nice and have Roku apps to interface them. I've gone to YouTube TV and don't have to worry about it. Yet. But I'm not under the delusion they are immune to any of this. I have no faith this is the last stop in my journey.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Hey crodrules, How about you and Scott combine your threads on Nexstar. Unless you two want to compete with each other. :D
I don't mind competing. My thread was here first! :p However, Scott started the "official" thread about the dispute with the press release, as he always does every time one of these comes up. This is not the first time that there has been more than one ongoing thread about the same dispute, and it is likely far from the last time, either.

I've been trying to follow both of the threads about this but don't recall seeing when the contract expires and we lose the channels.
Anybody know when this will happen?

They should be required to put up enough repeaters in their DMA to cover the entire area
I've literally been saying that since day 1 of the digital transition.

Unfortunately the FCC doesn't care about the public and hasn't for a LONG time. Ever looked at the tolerances for interference generation for consumer equipment vs. industrial equipment? For industrial equipment, there might as well not be any limit. Not that people don't use radios to communicate in a factory, it's all about making sure broadcasters can get their ad dollars for playing the same 10 songs all day long.

I think we have pretty much gotten to that point now. Dish has already said recently that the dropped Apollo stations are likely never coming back, since subscribers have other ways to access the programming on them. Also, for at least a couple of years now, Dish's Zanesville local package has been Zanesville-in-name-only, since Dish refuses to come to an agreement with WHIZ, Zanesville's NBC affiliate which is the only station actually in their market. All the rest of the networks are fill-in "distants" from Columbus. It really makes me wonder why Zanesville still needs to have its own separate market at all. Just merge the Zanesville DMA into the Columbus DMA, and be done with it.
The station owners are just charging too much. I wonder if Dish could sell locals separately with the "going rate" cost per market. For instance, if market A has resonable rates to Dish, the cost would be lower.. and Market "B" wants more money, the local fee would be more. Each market price would be adjusted accordingly. That way, if Apollo, Nexstar, who ever wants big increases, the people in the market will have to pay more. Is that possible? That way, no more disputes, and the viewers can have all of their locals. If Apollo isn't coming back, that means anyone who has Dish in the Seattle DMA will never get KIRO again, unless they change providers. That is a BIG CBS affiliate in the NW and Seattle has very few translators. Portland has a ton of them. Unless viewers in the Seattle/Tacoma market can get their locals OTA, I don't see too many Dish subscribers in Western Washington.

Reactions: pattykay

I totally agree. If your DMA has a station, they should be forced to operate either a free streaming service or translator.

Time to look into a OTA DVR setup. Some are quite nice and have Roku apps to interface them. I've gone to YouTube TV and don't have to worry about it. Yet. But I'm not under the delusion they are immune to any of this. I have no faith this is the last stop in my journey.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I got tired of the Dish OTA guides not working with accurate information, so I have to use a generic timer to record stuff. I have bought a ReCast DVR (dual tuner), so I can record OTA that way with a built in 500GB HDD. I can add up to 3tb extra if I want. But still for the viewers who cannot receive their OTA stations, it is tough, as you never know when the next dispute will be. It seems, as far as Spectrum goes, they have few disputes. They just raise their price, so for some, cable may be their best bet, if they cannot get their locals OTA.

Reactions: peggy97850
I've literally been saying that since day 1 of the digital transition.

Unfortunately the FCC doesn't care about the public and hasn't for a LONG time. Ever looked at the tolerances for interference generation for consumer equipment vs. industrial equipment? For industrial equipment, there might as well not be any limit. Not that people don't use radios to communicate in a factory, it's all about making sure broadcasters can get their ad dollars for playing the same 10 songs all day long.
We sometimes forget, that the TV stations owners also lose out. Since Dish will not be carrying many many local channels, those viewers will also not see their ads. CBS All Access is one one way to get your CBS programming. But how many will go to the trouble to watch their local TV streaming news, if available. If the viewer count goes down, then the station may not be able to sell their ads. Since Nexstrar is such a HUGE operation, the viewers may really put the screws to Nexstar. Even though sometimes we feel helpless, the masses can still change things, if they do it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05