Nexstar looking to purchase the CW Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My area used to have one to three subchannels per channel, but that has recently mushroomed to one to seven subchannels...
There used to be 15-20 channels in my area, but now there's 25-30...

I came up with a better idea for a more realistic scenario:
* WCWF 14 switches to MyNetworkTV, airing progams from a secondary This TV or getTV affiliate during the times MyNetworkTV syndicated programming isn't airing, which is most of the day.
Since WCWF is an affiliate of CW (not CW+) why wouldn't they keep their syndicated programming/news as is and just add more news or syndicated programming for those 2 hours? Also in your idea, Sinclair wouldn't add a new sub. They could just use on of their existing subs they own (Charge, Comet, TBD) in place if they did that. But I see the former happening, not the latter.

* In response to the aforementioned switch, WFRV-TV 5 adds a new 24-hour CW+ subchannel...
Green Bay can't do a CW+. CW+ is for markets 100+. Green Bay is around 68. So they would have to "program" the other 22 hours...which as example they could by doing a Bounce/CW affiliation.

It is not yet known how significant this change in ownership for The CW, a network born of two other struggling TV networks, The WB and UPN, will be beyond what is known at this time, but I guarantee that the Nexstar majority ownership of The CW won't be nearly as big as when Rupert Murdoch's Fox Broadcasting Company outbid CBS for the NFL's NFC division in the "analog age" of the 1990s, starting a musical chairs game from coast to coast, along with other major deals, where Fox made the move from their UHF positions to VHF positions in most of those NFL markets with some of those markets having their ABC, NBC and CBS affiliations move to the UHF stations (some of which used to be home to the Fox affiliate), which were the hardest stations to get at the time, since the picture usual came in fuzzy, and with lots of static in the sound, especially for people who couldn't afford or choose not to get cable TV. These days, it does not seem to matter as much how far a station is away from VHF channel 2 or 3 on the dial with improvements in TV viewing technology, with most TV stations identifying themselves virtually by their former VHF or UHF number, while choosing a different VHF or UHF number for their RF channel number, like how in my area, WBAY-TV, virtual channel 2, the local ABC affiliate, operates on RF channel 23.

Since WJMN-TV 3 is still technically a semi-satellite of WFRV-TV 5, I could see The CW's schedule end up buried under WJMN-TV 3.2's Ion Mystery subchannel TV schedule, but only if Marks Radio Group is willing to part with The CW on WBUP 10.2/WBKP 5.1 in favor of a possible new Fox affiliation, and if Gray Television is willing to part with their Fox affiliation on WLUC-TV 6.2 in favor of an affiliation with a classic TV channel, like Decades or getTV...This would turn out to be quite musical chairs game if it did happen, and if it did, all three of the TV station owners would have to agree to switch...

It is not yet known how significant this change in ownership for The CW, a network born of two other struggling TV networks, The WB and UPN, will be beyond what is known at this time, but I guarantee that the Nexstar majority ownership of The CW won't be nearly as big as when Rupert Murdoch's Fox Broadcasting Company outbid CBS for the NFL's NFC division in the "analog age" of the 1990s, starting a musical chairs game from coast to coast, along with other major deals, where Fox made the move from their UHF positions to VHF positions in most of those NFL markets with some of those markets having their ABC, NBC and CBS affiliations move to the UHF stations (some of which used to be home to the Fox affiliate), which were the hardest stations to get at the time, since the picture usual came in fuzzy, and with lots of static in the sound, especially for people who couldn't afford or choose not to get cable TV. These days, it does not seem to matter as much how far a station is away from VHF channel 2 or 3 on the dial with improvements in TV viewing technology, with most TV stations identifying themselves virtually by their former VHF or UHF number, while choosing a different VHF or UHF number for their RF channel number, like how in my area, WBAY-TV, virtual channel 2, the local ABC affiliate, operates on RF channel 23.
In the current landscape in which ATSC 1.0 is still dominant, I would say that VHF or UHF broadcasting does make a difference. I don't know if 3.0 will overcome the noise factor, but you need good gain on VHF to overcome the noise factor and get a viewable channel, especially on VHF Low from 2 to 6. Something as simple as an LED bulb, an electric motor, or a dirty powerline can obliterate any chance of reception at those low frequencies. Not to mention the fact that most people need a huge antenna for reliable reception at those frequencies.

The chances of Gray losing a Fox affiliation to WBUP are effectively zero.

- Trip
I guess the only option for WBUP 10.2 and WBKP 5.1 would be to replace The CW with Decades or This TV if WJMN-TV wants to add a primary affiliate of The CW to their 3.2 subchannel, Ion Mystery, but only if Nexstar Media wants to align their affiliates with The CW...

I don't know if 3.0 will overcome the noise factor, but you need good gain on VHF to overcome the noise factor and get a viewable channel, especially on VHF Low from 2 to 6. Something as simple as an LED bulb, an electric motor, or a dirty powerline can obliterate any chance of reception at those low frequencies.
I expect that ATSC 3.0 will work better than 1.0 on VHF. There are two reasons for this, 1. The characteristics of thousands of narrowband carriers if OFDM at low data rates will outperform 8 VSB on both impulse noise and coherent interference sources. 2. ATSC 3.0 includes time division multiplexing, which is missing from 1.0, so interference from impulse noise will be less problematic with NextGen.

Since WJMN-TV 3 is still technically a semi-satellite of WFRV-TV 5, I could see The CW's schedule end up buried under WJMN-TV 3.2's Ion Mystery subchannel TV schedule,
or they could just put it on their main station from 8-10 like I mentioned in post 15. If WJMN wants to keep MNTV they can bury it overnight just like a fair amount of affiliates do (even an O&O like Minneapolis WFTC which buries it from 11-midnight and 12:30-1:30am)

but only if Marks Radio Group is willing to part with The CW on WBUP 10.2/WBKP 5.1 in favor of a possible new Fox affiliation, and if Gray Television is willing to part with their Fox affiliation on WLUC-TV 6.2 in favor of an affiliation with a classic TV channel, like Decades or getTV...This would turn out to be quite musical chairs game if it did happen, and if it did, all three of the TV station owners would have to agree to switch...
Why would Gray give up a cash cow like FOX? You are overthinking this waaaaaaaaay too much. Again we are dealing with 2 hours a night of programming.
As been mentioned before, Nexstar can just say they don't want to renew the affiliation with someone when the contract comes due and instead taking it in house. So lets just say they did. Marks group could turn WBKP back into a satellite of ABC/WBUP (like they did years ago). Marks doesn't associate with diginets in the markets they own (reckon they only own stations in 3 markets...2 in Michigan and Glendive, MT).

But again this is all speculation.

In the current landscape in which ATSC 1.0 is still dominant, I would say that VHF or UHF broadcasting does make a difference. I don't know if 3.0 will overcome the noise factor, but you need good gain on VHF to overcome the noise factor and get a viewable channel, especially on VHF Low from 2 to 6. Something as simple as an LED bulb, an electric motor, or a dirty powerline can obliterate any chance of reception at those low frequencies. Not to mention the fact that most people need a huge antenna for reliable reception at those frequencies.
I forgot to mention that part. I've been watching many Antenna Man videos, but forgot to mention that part about bad signals on low VHF...

or they could just put it on their main station from 8-10 like I mentioned in post 15. If WJMN wants to keep MNTV they can bury it overnight just like a fair amount of affiliates do (even an O&O like Minneapolis WFTC which buries it from 11-midnight and 12:30-1:30am)

Why would Gray give up a cash cow like FOX? You are overthinking this waaaaaaaaay too much. Again we are dealing with 2 hours a night of programming.
As been mentioned before, Nexstar can just say they don't want to renew the affiliation with someone when the contract comes due and instead taking it in house. So lets just say they did. Marks group could turn WBKP back into a satellite of ABC/WBUP (like they did years ago). Marks doesn't associate with diginets in the markets they own (reckon they only own stations in 3 markets...2 in Michigan and Glendive, MT).

But again this is all speculation.
I like the idea of moving The CW to WJMN-TV 3's primary affiliation. That would mean WBUP 10 would have to decommission their CW-branded subchannel on 10.2 and move ABC back to WBKP 5.1.

I agree with you about WLUC-TV 6.2 "Fox UP," now that I think about it, because it is one of the top performing networks in the Marquette, Michigan media market...I see why Gray TV would want to keep this one...

I like the idea of moving The CW to WJMN-TV 3's primary affiliation. That would mean WBUP 10 would have to decommission their CW-branded subchannel on 10.2 and move ABC back to WBKP 5.1.
Is there an echo in here? I wrote "As been mentioned before, Nexstar can just say they don't want to renew the affiliation with someone when the contract comes due and instead taking it in house. So lets just say they did. Marks group could turn WBKP back into a satellite of ABC/WBUP (like they did years ago). "

I agree with you about WLUC-TV 6.2 "Fox UP," now that I think about it, because it is one of the top performing networks in the Marquette, Michigan media market...I see why Gray TV would want to keep this one...
I'm sure FOX wants to stay with Gray (a major owner) versus going with a small time owner (especially when retrans time comes around). Gray has more power to keep the stations on cable/satellite.

The ownership of The CW has changed with Nexstar acquiring a majority stake in the network, while Paramount and Warner/Discovery maintain minority interest, while at the same time, MyNetworkTV, the channel created by Fox Television Stations in response to the merger of UPN and The WB into The CW, is currently losing the network battle, which was started in 2006, during which they demoted themselves from a full network to a PTEN-style programming service. Many MyNetworkTV stations are dropping the affiliate, most of which, have become independent stations, including WMYD-TV 20 of Detroit, Michigan and WACY-TV 32 of Green Bay, Wisconsin, while the largest stations to disaffiliate with MyNetworkTV recently are the Paramount-owned WSBK-TV 38 in Boston, Massachusetts and WBFS-TV 33 in Miami, Florida...

In Portland OR, the local Scripps station has 7 channels, but has not made room for Court TV, Mystery, or Grit. So those channels are on other Portland stations. Laff & Bounce are on the Scripps station though.

Our local MyNetworkTV staion has NEVER had anything on it I'd be willing to watch. It's an absolute waste of bandwidth.
I have a feeling MyNetworkTV will be a distant memory in the not-too-distant future, as more stations revert those affiliates to independent status, or FoxCorp creates a companion network to Fox that would take its place (possible names to replace MyNetworkTV would include "Fox+," "Fox Xtra" or "XOF TV," if they wanted to relaunch the station, but if they did so they should do better with their programming lineup than MyNetworkTV did back in their inaugural year (2006), when they aired a block of English-language telenovelas on their network...

For a lot of the former MyNetworkTV and CW affiliates that returned to independence, they gained a little more freedom, where programming for their stations was concerned, by adding more local programming, infomercials and syndicated shows in timeslots formerly taken by those networks...

I never cared as much about MyNetworkTV. While MyNetworkTV's lineup of programs wore thin, The CW's program lineup stabilized, with programming that appeals to fans of Batman, Superman, The Flash and other DC Comics superheroes...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts