Nexstar/Mission/White Knight dispute with DIRECTV

Seeing occasional flashes on Paramount+ saying something like NFL programming not available watching a Nextstar owned station. Perhaps they are planning on blacking out NFL next week?
That makes no sense, how would Paramount+ even know if you have DirecTV, Dish, YTTV , the local Cable Company, OTA., etc.

Getting your locals on Paramount+ has nothing to do with your provider, especially since, now, over 60 Million Households do not have a Live TV service.

If it was the CBS app that you have to sign in with a provider’s login, that is different.

That makes no sense, how would Paramount+ even know if you have DirecTV, Dish, YTTV , the local Cable Company, OTA., etc.
It would be a matter of Nexstar affiliates categorically not participating in the Paramount+ Live TV program during NFL broadcasts. It would be an extreme example of blocking out everyone to support their DIRECTV negotiations.

It would be a matter of Nexstar affiliates categorically not participating in the Paramount+ Live TV program during NFL broadcasts. It would be an extreme example of blocking out everyone to support their DIRECTV negotiations.
I really doubt that would happen.

DirecTV ( including Streaming and Uverse) is only 12.5 million households out of 130 Million Households, doing something like that for the small minority would be idiotic.

I really doubt that would happen.
I have to say that I was more than a little surprised that Nexstar came in with a 100% price increase so I'm less willing to discount the idea that they might do something so nasty.

I don't think it will happen either but if dfergie says there are notices being posted, I'm not going to call BS.

It would be a matter of Nexstar affiliates categorically not participating in the Paramount+ Live TV program during NFL broadcasts.
Doesn’t CBS have a deal with every station owner to put their affiliates on Paramount+? If so wouldn’t CBS consider that a breach of their deal with, in this case, Nexstar?

Doesn’t CBS have a deal with every station owner to put their affiliates on Paramount+? If so wouldn’t CBS consider that a breach of their deal with, in this case, Nexstar?
Yes, that is why I find it unlikely.

DirecTV is now small potatoes in the total of households out there.

Also, Paramount+ has 61 million subs, about 50 million in the United States, almost 40 million more then DirecTV, who does not have that much power anymore like they did when they had 22 million subscribers, right before AT&T bought them.

• Sad
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
I doubt it is reasonable to assume that the station owner contracts are all the same. I would expect that Nexstar has more than one "most favored nation" special deal. This doesn't seem like something they would have planned for but at the rate they're going, Nexstar is likely to be in dispute with someone pretty much all the time.

If their service provider uses their existing cable, how many cable subscribers do you think are willing and able to install an independent cable. We're not talking about self-installing satellite or FTA users here.
Again, what difference does it make who their provider is? The process to install an ota antenna is the same regardless.

The process to install an ota antenna is the same regardless.
The process to install an outdoor OTA antenna is considerably simpler if all you need to do is run a cable from the antenna to the cable entrance outside the home. Fishing a cable around inside the house is arguably the most difficult part from a cabling perspective and I'm pretty sure you know that.

• Love
The process to install an outdoor OTA antenna is considerably simpler if all you need to do is run a cable from the antenna to the cable entrance outside the home. Fishing a cable around inside the house is arguably the most difficult part from a cabling perspective and I'm pretty sure you know that.
And how is that different for customers of different providers?

Reactions: "MysteryMan"
And how is that different for customers of different providers?
Other providers may not require the use of in-place coaxial cable with a preference for Ethernet and Wi-fi.

Since conventional cable TV only accounts for 29% of the market, a majority of the population doesn't necessarily need to use their coax for something else.

Perhaps not obviously, cable MoCA frequencies don't overlap with OTA frequencies (as DIRECTV's does) so coax sharing is possible where cable MoCA is employed.

Other providers may not require the use of in-place coaxial cable with a preference for Ethernet and Wi-fi.

Since conventional cable TV only accounts for 29% of the market, a majority of the population doesn't necessarily need to use their coax for something else.

Perhaps not obviously, cable MoCA frequencies don't overlap with OTA frequencies (as DIRECTV's does) so coax sharing is possible where cable MoCA is employed.
And how many people know that and would take advantage of it? You are getting out over your skis.

And how many people know that and would take advantage of it?
Most of the people I know are taking advantage of alternatives to MoCA but the option is there for those who haven't. Remember that the goal is to avoid running another cable because running a cable inside is usually pretty hard.
You are getting out over your skis.
It is perhaps better to be over your skis than on your heels.

Most of the people I know are taking advantage of alternatives to MoCA but the option is there for those who haven't. Remember that the goal is to avoid running another cable because running a cable inside is usually pretty hard.

It is perhaps better to be over your skis than on your heels.
You have been warned previously about this type of posting. Consider this your last warning.

• Haha
Fox40, in my area has been out now for over 2 months while Directv bickers about fees and such. After speaking with Directv it appears there is no resolution in sight.

Directv actually recommended I get an antenna since local station are free.

My issue is my Panasonic Display has no tuners, but it does have extra HDMI slots, and my Denon AVR has plenty of HDMI slots.

After hours on the internet I could not get what I thought was a simple answer to my question.

I need to a set top box tuner, HDMI, 1080p, HD, etc. with an antenna so I can connect the set top box to the HDMI on the plasma or AVR and get those channels.

Lots of antennas, lots of set top boxes, but no clear direction what I really need.

How do you get local channels if my viewing display, my Panasonic Profession Plasma Display TH-65PF12UK, has no tuners!

What is my best, cost effective solution to watch local channels, Fox 40, on my Display so I can watch my local sport teams.

I have been a Directv customer for about 25 years or so, and have never seen them do this for so long.

Customers are really annoyed.

Ideas, help, comments appreciated.

If all you want to do is watch KTXL/FOX in HD, any cheap ATSC set-top box with HDMI outputs will work like the iView 3300STB.

KTXL is on UHF 22, if your location is in the deep greens on the map you should be able to get away with a simple indoor antenna, but areas in the yellow or orange likely need an outdoor antenna for reliable reception. Please post a link to a RabbitEars report if you want an antenna recommendation for your area.

BTW, you're not going to get 1080p with OTA as Fox only broadcasts in 720p.

Fox40, in my area has been out now for over 2 months while Directv bickers about fees and such. After speaking with Directv it appears there is no resolution in sight.

Directv actually recommended I get an antenna since local station are free.

My issue is my Panasonic Display has no tuners, but it does have extra HDMI slots, and my Denon AVR has plenty of HDMI slots.

After hours on the internet I could not get what I thought was a simple answer to my question.

I need to a set top box tuner, HDMI, 1080p, HD, etc. with an antenna so I can connect the set top box to the HDMI on the plasma or AVR and get those channels.

Lots of antennas, lots of set top boxes, but no clear direction what I really need.

How do you get local channels if my viewing display, my Panasonic Profession Plasma Display TH-65PF12UK, has no tuners!

What is my best, cost effective solution to watch local channels, Fox 40, on my Display so I can watch my local sport teams.

I have been a Directv customer for about 25 years or so, and have never seen them do this for so long.

Customers are really annoyed.

Ideas, help, comments appreciated.
Check the station's website. You may be able to stream it.