next 12 hd lil markets?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The next 11 DMA are supposed to be operational by the end of 12/05 and I bet will not even start until after DirecTV gains control of the new satellite to be launched on 11/09/05

Because of the lack of MPEG4 HD boxes the next 11 markets won't be rolled out until the first quarter of 2006. Supply will start kicking up once a few other makers get their supply rolling in which should be shortly after the the holiday season is over.

Also if you look at the current DMA rankings that will tell you what order your market will come. Expect to see the top 30-40 markets up and running close to the end of the first quarter of 2006. We should have the top 50-60 by the summer of 2006 and I expect the top 70 DMA markets to be up by the end of 2006. Once SW2 gets up and D* has control of it I don't expect anymore delays from that point on. Most of the top 50-75 markets have contracts in place today if that gives you any idea of what we are looking at. Now that is just for the big 4 networks. Just keep in mind that D* will get a deal with Viacom that would cover all Viacom owned stations in all markets. The latest Viacom deal includes HD LIL carriage of all the Viacom stations.

LonghornXP said:
...Just keep in mind that D* will get a deal with Viacom that would cover all Viacom owned stations in all markets. The latest Viacom deal includes HD LIL carriage of all the Viacom stations.
How is Direct doing with Sinclair? I know that here in OKC, Cox Cable doesn't carry the FOX-DT channel because of a dispute with Sinclair, and I think that the same is true for a lot of, if not all Sinclair stations.

mdonnelly said:
How is Direct doing with Sinclair? I know that here in OKC, Cox Cable doesn't carry the FOX-DT channel because of a dispute with Sinclair, and I think that the same is true for a lot of, if not all Sinclair stations.

DirecTV made a deal with Sinclair this Spring that allows DirecTV access to to all of Sinclair's HD feeds.

~Alan

LonghornXP said:
Because of the lack of MPEG4 HD boxes the next 11 markets won't be rolled out until the first quarter of 2006.

Is that the 11 markets following the Detroit pilot, or after the top 12 announced earlier this year (markets 13-23)?

You gotta love this quote:
"While DirecTV may have a capacity advantage, cable's strength lies in its ability to offer additional services such as telephone and high-speed Internet access, as well as the possibility of mobile telephone service in the future, especially if the cabler is aligned with a wireless provider, Mr. Bradford said."

OK so admit to all your current and future subscribers that DirecTV has the better television services, but you think you have the edge because you can also offer internet and telephone via bundling.

The piddly amount (about $15) the majority of cable companies offer in bundled savings NEVER out weighs the better TV. I also get better internet, VoIP and cell phone services and selection via my own hand-selected providers and packages.

charper1 said:
You gotta love this quote:
"While DirecTV may have a capacity advantage, cable's strength lies in its ability to offer additional services such as telephone and high-speed Internet access, as well as the possibility of mobile telephone service in the future, especially if the cabler is aligned with a wireless provider, Mr. Bradford said."

OK so admit to all your current and future subscribers that DirecTV has the better television services, but you think you have the edge because you can also offer internet and telephone via bundling.

The piddly amount (about $15) the majority of cable companies offer in bundled savings NEVER out weighs the better TV. I also get better internet, VoIP and cell phone services and selection via my own hand-selected providers and packages.

LOL!!! True, often people can get better deals by hand-selecting their providers and packages, but it is nice when the better deal is the same company...

However, in my case, the local Cable Co., MediaCom (which doesn't serve my home) has a better lineup of HD (at this time) than DirecTV, but not by much... and hopefully that's only temporary...

HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, The Movie Channel HD, Starz-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD Theater, Universal-HD, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD as well as WALB-DT (NBC) and WFXL-DT (FOX).

~Alan

LonghornXP said:
Because of the lack of MPEG4 HD boxes the next 11 markets won't be rolled out until the first quarter of 2006. Supply will start kicking up once a few other makers get their supply rolling in which should be shortly after the the holiday season is over.

Also if you look at the current DMA rankings that will tell you what order your market will come. Expect to see the top 30-40 markets up and running close to the end of the first quarter of 2006. We should have the top 50-60 by the summer of 2006 and I expect the top 70 DMA markets to be up by the end of 2006. Once SW2 gets up and D* has control of it I don't expect anymore delays from that point on. Most of the top 50-75 markets have contracts in place today if that gives you any idea of what we are looking at. Now that is just for the big 4 networks. Just keep in mind that D* will get a deal with Viacom that would cover all Viacom owned stations in all markets. The latest Viacom deal includes HD LIL carriage of all the Viacom stations.

So, any idea when D* will begin converting the SD customers in any given cities? That would free up more space on the main birds and hopefully get us more national HD or RSNs.

Thanks Charper1.......#58....so HD local in my area by end of next year 2006????Does this sound about right to you ???

dturturro said:
So, any idea when D* will begin converting the SD customers in any given cities? That would free up more space on the main birds and hopefully get us more national HD or RSNs.

I dont think that the plan is EVER to switch SD custs to HD. Customers may eventually switch, but if I remember correctly, locals have to go to digital. Now the date to switch is by 4/2009.

On almost the same subject, D* would be able to free up channel #s by swapping customers that have 1st gen receivers with the new D10 and receivers like that w/o commitment. That would free up channels from 880-996. I know the channels just mentioned above are mirrors, however when D* does launch more national HD channels, they are going to have to move channels 70-99 around.

mdonnelly said:

Unlike your cable company DirecTV does indeed have a deal in place with Sinclair to carry all of Sinclairs local stations HD feeds.

How high a priority for LA and NYC

Longhorn, how much of a priority is D* going to place on getting LA and NYC customers up on the new dish/STB for MPEG4? Since they are DMA 1 and 2 you'd assume that they would be next, but since they already have the big four up on MPEG2 for HD will D* put a priority on 3 through 12 and just do LA and NYC eventually?

hey longhorn, so there not going to be doing any other lil hd in any others dmas this year? I'm in philly and was hoping maybe nov. or dec. i would have them :(

my locals are so unstable D* shouldn't even add them.....drop outs and half the time u have to call and tell them to flip the switch....that's why I prefer my DNS...I never have a problem with them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)