Next Google Nexus Phone

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Nexus One, Nexus S... What's next?

While not of any commercial significance for Google bottom line, Nexus phones played an important role in Android development and introduction to the smartphone market.

With the next version of Android announced to be available in Q3 (and do away with the discrepancy between the tablet and smartphone versions), the rumors started about what the next Nexus will be about
Coming Nexus phone’s details surface

To summarize:
- 4G LTE
- full 720p screen
- bigger than 4.3"
- dual-core 1.2 (or 1.5) GHz CPU (28nm tech)
- 1080p recording and playback
- 1mpx/5mpx cameras
- "super-thin", running Ice Cream

Nothing earth shattering.
Will probably include BT3/4, NFC, all WiFi, etc.

It will be really interesting...

Diogen.

EDIT: Available around Thanksgiving...

Last edited:
...and only on TMobile like the rest? Kinda glad, means I won't have to wait for it. I am probably finally going to make the jump from my original Droid 1 to the Galaxy S II if reviews and stuff pan out and there isn't any more concrete iphone5/4s news by then.

I think Google's next phone and/or tablet will be announced shortly after Apple's announcement.
Samsung would be the prime suspect as the manufacturer for the first IceCreamSandwich gadgets.
But considering their recent legal troubles with Apple, an Amazon tablet would be just as good.
Maybe even manufactured by Samsung...:)

I believe the next Nexus will try to beat the next iPhone in specs while announced at about the same time.
Maybe even with a hypervisor. OS allegiance is personal...

Diogen.

Foxconn will probably build the amazon tablet. It's amazing how much they manufacture there.

Was tearing apart a Sun T2000 last week and saw foxconn on a number of components.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I'm not waiting until October, unless there's enough information out to make the iphone 5/whatever sound like it's worth waiting for I'll be getting a Bionic or S II pending reviews of the final domestic versions.

It's just 2 months...

The S II US launch is 10 days away.
In another 10 Apple is rumored to announce the next iPhone with shipping date one month later.

And I believe Nexus Prime will be right on the heels of that. Very busy two months ahead...

Whether it is worth to wait is personal. I think the hardware itself makes it so...

Diogen.

I've got an original Droid, everything has been 'just 2 months' away for a year. Next it will be 'but wait, quad core tegra 3 phone in January, it's just 2 months!'

I don't think you'll have to wait two months for details of the iPhone 5. But that is always the case, just a few months... :)

Next it will be 'but wait, quad core tegra 3 phone in January, it's just 2 months!'
If the Nexus Prime rumors are right (1.5GHz, dual core), I really don't see any need for anything more. At least with the current software.

I can imagine need for this kind of power on a tablet, but not on a phone...

Diogen.

EDIT:
There is this risk that Apple might interfere with the Nexus Prime plans if made by Samsung.
They try really hard to ban sales of literally all high end phones/tablets made by them...
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...will-give-samsung-major-eu-wide-smackdown.ars

Last edited:
So is it Nexus Prime or Verizon-exclusive Droid Prime?
Verizon Wireless exclusively launching Samsung DROID Prime in October

Whatever the answer, it seems like those are names of the same device, made by Samsung,
the first running IceCreamSandwich, expected around the time next iPhone is released...
And explains why Galaxy S II is not coming to Verizon.

Diogen.

EDIT:
While on Friday Samsung reportedly confirmed the existence of Nexus Prime
http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/26/samsung-reportedly-confirms-nexus-prime/

The best part, it looks like IceCream is in the wild...:)

Last edited:
So is it Nexus Prime or Verizon-exclusive Droid Prime?
It's both
Rumor: Samsung to make Droid Prime for Verizon

As the article states, nothing but rumors. But they make sense...

Interesting note: Verizon is skipping on Galaxy S II and waiting for the Prime because
...Verizon did not feel that the Galaxy S II would be able to compete with the iPhone 5, which is why they would not be carrying it.

While the (just updated) SII has almost the same specs as the Prime with the exception of the screen: 720p vs. 480p.

Diogen.

Whether it will be any of the Primes (Nexus or Droid) or a new handset like Galaxy S III altogether, the
GT-i9220/50 (as a reference point: GT-i9100 is the Galaxy S II from O2 in UK) is going to be a heck of a phone
Samsung GT-i9220 confirmed as smartphone with dual-band WiFi, specs remain in rumorville - Engadget
Samsung GT-I9220 and GT-I9250 could BOTH be Nexus Prime? | News | TechRadar UK
GT-I9250 Nexus Prime Support Page Found › AndroidGuys

Regardless how impressive its specs look today, by the end of the year we can expect to have a selection of phones with
at least 4.3" screen, at least QHD (960x540), at least 1.4GHz dual core CPU, etc. Here for example is HTC's
HTC working on Sensation special edition with Beats and 1.5GHz dual-core CPU? - Engadget

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)