NFL - Bills Head Coach just Fired

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
Just saw that the Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills has been fired.

One of the Assistant Coaches has been named as the temporary coach.

They're waiting to put someone in a position to fire him, according to Mr talks too much aka Jim Brown, Holmgren is being interviewed for it today... but a minority candidate has not been interviewed so he can't be hired yet. Rooney rule is stupid.

They're waiting to put someone in a position to fire him, according to Mr talks too much aka Jim Brown, Holmgren is being interviewed for it today... but a minority candidate has not been interviewed so he can't be hired yet. Rooney rule is stupid.
What is stupid is that is the only time teams will look at minority coaches!:rant:

When there are coaches like Shanahan, Holmgren, Gruden, and Cowher up for positions, no, they shouldn't bring in a random minority to interview to satisfy a rule.

Browns fans tell me, you want an experienced franchise builder, or risk years of mediocrity or worse wondering if minority canidate with less experience than Mangini is going to pan out? You want Al Davis to interview some guy at another Bed and Breakfeast, like his attitude, and hire him as head coach for 1/10th what he'd have to give someone like Cowher (assuming anyone we've heard of will take a job with the Raiders)?

Sure, the Tomlin story is sexy, and he's got a good team and attitude (and is cheap thanks for his inexperience), but with sure bets available, the Rooney rule is stupid... and this past offseason it was extended to positions like VPs and Football Czars so for what Lerner is hiring for it applies. The question is if it applies for an interim and then has to be applied again for a permanent hire.

Isn't this rule kind of a slap in the face to the minority candidates?

If I were walking into an interview just because an employer was required to have me there, and I knew Joe Best Guy Available had the job already, Sure wouldn't see my butt there.

If you know one of the big names is rumored for a position, then yeah it's a slap in the face if you know you're there for quota reasons.

In fact when you put it that way, it sounds like a step back, rather than a step forward for minorities.

Last edited:
If you know one of the big names is rumored for a position, then yeah it's a slap in the face if you know you're there for quote reasons.

In fact when you put it that way, it sounds like a step back, rather than a step forward for minorities.
Ah yea i guess you did not understand my post. Who is to say any of the coaches you named wants to go to Cleveland and why did you bring up the Raiders?

Because they're another team that is going to be looking for a coach and they came to mind because they hired a guy who's most recent job was running a bed and breakfeast as their offensive coordinator.

The problem being discussed isn't if the guys want to go there, it's if they are the desired target for a position, and yet you have to interview candidates that have no chance assuming they can land the guy they want.

He tried his best, but it wasn't enough.

Guy had it tough- he didn't exactly inherit a powerhouse team- he had to do the best he could with what he had.

These are NOT the Bills I grew up watching when I lived in Buffalo.

Strong word out of Cleveland that is indeed 100% accurate. :up

I don't know where you are getting your info; but we haven't heard anything like that here in WNY.

I generally tend to post things before they hit the bigger news outlets because my homepage is a tabbed iGoogle, with one of the tabs being sports.

On that tab is the RSS feeds for:

- Yardbarker
- Profootballtalk
- Nationalfootballpost

And generally 'reportedly' type stories are posted there before enough confirmed sources are available for a local news or even ESPN to carry it.

The other big names are on that page too, but in comparison it's kinda like reading yesterday's news.

For example here's what ESPN's top NFL stories are via RSS:

Miami Dolphins put RB Ronnie Brown on IR, ending season
Sources: Buffalo Bills contact Mike Shanahan about coaching opening
Philadelphia Eagles' Brian Westbrook improving but out this week

Compared to PFTs, they're rather stale:

Winslow: Vilma couldn't guard me
Housh revisits choosing Seahawks over Vikings
Breaking down the Revis-Moss film from Week Two
Ralph Wilson: Don't call me cheap
Lerner not talking about talking to Holmgren
Dungy will lead new Player Advisory Forum
NFL admits Browns got fourth timeout
Pereira "shocked" by Triplette's replay mistake
Thursday morning one-liners

Just relaying news from these sites is probably why I've got over 500 posts in the NFL thread. Some discussion in there too, but I like spreading the news around :)

I generally tend to post things before they hit the bigger news outlets because my homepage is a tabbed iGoogle, with one of the tabs being sports.

On that tab is the RSS feeds for:

- Yardbarker
- Profootballtalk
- Nationalfootballpost

And generally 'reportedly' type stories are posted there before enough confirmed sources are available for a local news or even ESPN to carry it.

The other big names are on that page too, but in comparison it's kinda like reading yesterday's news.

For example here's what ESPN's top NFL stories are via RSS:

Miami Dolphins put RB Ronnie Brown on IR, ending season
Sources: Buffalo Bills contact Mike Shanahan about coaching opening
Philadelphia Eagles' Brian Westbrook improving but out this week

Compared to PFTs, they're rather stale:

Winslow: Vilma couldn't guard me
Housh revisits choosing Seahawks over Vikings
Breaking down the Revis-Moss film from Week Two
Ralph Wilson: Don't call me cheap
Lerner not talking about talking to Holmgren
Dungy will lead new Player Advisory Forum
NFL admits Browns got fourth timeout
Pereira "shocked" by Triplette's replay mistake
Thursday morning one-liners

Just relaying news from these sites is probably why I've got over 500 posts in the NFL thread. Some discussion in there too, but I like spreading the news around :)

I stand corrected "most likely":) You got to undestand something though; this is the Buffalo Bills and Ralph Wilson. You are talking about a Owner whom fired one of the Best GM in Profootball (Bill Polian), after he took the Bills to three Superbowls. I will believe he brings in Shanahan when I see him get off the plane at Buffalo International Airport.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts