NFL Films Presents

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Do any of you guys watch this weekly half hour show? If not, you should. NFL Films does an amazing job giving you perspective on the league, and the players. It's well worth a half hour of your time each week.

It's on ESPN 2 late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning, I think, and Wednesday afternoon. I record the Wednesday afternoon version, and watch it at night. I think it's repeated a few times on NFL Network as well.

This week's episode was fantastic. First was a look at Josh McDaniels. They showed footage of a 1995 game between McDaniels's high school, McKinley in Canton Ohio, and their big rival of 100 years, Massillon. 30,000 people at a regular season game. Game goes into OT, besides being QB McDaniels is also the kicker, and he pulls a wide right on the PAT after an OT touchdown. Massillon scores a TD, converts the PAT, and McKinley loses. They show McDaniels absolutely devastated on the field, with his father, the head coach, consoling him.

The two teams meet again in the playoffs, with even more in attendance, and this time McKinley wins. Jubilation, very touching between Josh, his dad, and his younger brother (probably 12 at the time) who was a ball boy on the sidelines.

But the story doesn't end there, they fast forward through his assistant coaching years with Belicheck, showing the two of them together on the sidelines during Patriot games. Then they show the Broncos win over the Patriots this year, tutor beating mentor, and after the game they show McDaniels jumping into the arms of a defensive end, Kenny Peterson...who just happened to also be on the McKinley high school team the year they lost to, then beat, Massillon. They showed footage of the two together in the high school games, then the two hugging after the win over the Patriots.

Wow. I will never look at McDaniels the same again. The entire segment took less than ten minutes, but every minute was riveting.

In the same episode they also did an outstanding feature on Will Graves, a high school star in Mississippi who was paralyzed in a traffic accident last winter. Two weeks before his accident he wrote an amazing poem about the playing field at the stadium that had everybody crying when they read it aloud...before the accident. The story about how everyone (the entire state, and some prominent NFLers) has rallied around this kid was terrific.

This season they also had great features on the evolution of the stiff arm in the NFL, the relationship between Adrian Peterson and his position coach, Eric Bienemy, the strength coach of the Bengals, a little guy who always finds his way into camera shots of Marvin Lewis (hysterial...now I look for him, and find him, in game highlights all the time), Roger Goodell and Jim Mora climbing Mount Rainier in the Spring, Davone Bess, wide receiver of the Miami Dolphins who rose from poverty and crime to get to where he is today, and many others.

You should watch.

Sandra

Do any of you guys watch this weekly half hour show? If not, you should. NFL Films does an amazing job giving you perspective on the league, and the players. It's well worth a half hour of your time each week.

It's on ESPN 2 late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning, I think, and Wednesday afternoon. I record the Wednesday afternoon version, and watch it at night. I think it's repeated a few times on NFL Network as well.

This week's episode was fantastic. First was a look at Josh McDaniels. They showed footage of a 1995 game between McDaniels's high school, McKinley in Canton Ohio, and their big rival of 100 years, Massillon. 30,000 people at a regular season game. Game goes into OT, besides being QB McDaniels is also the kicker, and he pulls a wide right on the PAT after an OT touchdown. Massillon scores a TD, converts the PAT, and McKinley loses. They show McDaniels absolutely devastated on the field, with his father, the head coach, consoling him.

The two teams meet again in the playoffs, with even more in attendance, and this time McKinley wins. Jubilation, very touching between Josh, his dad, and his younger brother (probably 12 at the time) who was a ball boy on the sidelines.

But the story doesn't end there, they fast forward through his assistant coaching years with Belicheck, showing the two of them together on the sidelines during Patriot games. Then they show the Broncos win over the Patriots this year, tutor beating mentor, and after the game they show McDaniels jumping into the arms of a defensive end, Kenny Peterson...who just happened to also be on the McKinley high school team the year they lost to, then beat, Massillon. They showed footage of the two together in the high school games, then the two hugging after the win over the Patriots.

Wow. I will never look at McDaniels the same again. The entire segment took less than ten minutes, but every minute was riveting.

In the same episode they also did an outstanding feature on Will Graves, a high school star in Mississippi who was paralyzed in a traffic accident last winter. Two weeks before his accident he wrote an amazing poem about the playing field at the stadium that had everybody crying when they read it aloud...before the accident. The story about how everyone (the entire state, and some prominent NFLers) has rallied around this kid was terrific.

This season they also had great features on the evolution of the stiff arm in the NFL, the relationship between Adrian Peterson and his position coach, Eric Bienemy, the strength coach of the Bengals, a little guy who always finds his way into camera shots of Marvin Lewis (hysterial...now I look for him, and find him, in game highlights all the time), Roger Goodell and Jim Mora climbing Mount Rainier in the Spring, Davone Bess, wide receiver of the Miami Dolphins who rose from poverty and crime to get to where he is today, and many others.

You should watch.

Sandra

Even further media recommendations, I urge you to go rent "Go Tigers". It's a documentary of the Massillon Tigers football team. It'll shed some light on just how big High School football is in pockets of the country. Massillon, Ohio kind of reminds me of Dillon, Texas. :)

I LOVE all the old NFL Films, especially the ones narrated by either John Facenda or Harry Kalas! :up

I used to watch Kalas' "NFL Game of the Week", produced by NFL Films, faithfully when I was a kid.

You should watch.

Sandra

Agree wholheartedly.

The Sabols both Ed and Steve should be enshrined in the NFL HoF.

Their contributions to the league have been immense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)