NFL Network Dispute? -- Resolved

It's going to be almost a month since NFL Network was dropped (as well as the Tribune stations). Even though it has been almost a month, Dish has kept up that blue screen mentioning negotiating a new deal if it was fair to the consumer. Typically when a channel is dropped, such as some of the RSN's like CSNNE, Al Jazeera, or MAV TV, typically the blue screen is left up for 2 weeks then the channel number no longer appears in our guide. To me the fact we still have a blue screen there is a sign Dish is probably bringing the channel back at some point. And unless Dish has some surprising numbers on viewership, I would think a lot of people tune into NFL Network during the season.

I'm sure they'll bring it back before the start of the season but I don't care anymore. Dish's desire to enter into these disputes on a regular basis has become too much for me. I called DTV and setup an install for next week.

We moved recently and setup ATT UVerse, which provides some additional discounts on DTV service plus unlimited data on INET. Dish was a good and often cheaper alternative to DTV for a long time but that's not the case anymore. Even factoring in my ETF I stand to save over $500 in the first two years. After the promos expire I'll still be saving close to $20/month.

Everyone must make their own decisions, but for me this ones on Dish. Going to war with the NFL may ultimately be the best option for them but it caused me to look elsewhere when I likely wouldn't have otherwise. Once that happens you may be surprised what you find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: reddice
... Once that happens you may be surprised what you find.

I agree that these channel outages are a PITA and come far too often but if you're going from a Hopper 3 to a Genie you're gonna be very surprised at what you find, and I don't think it's gonna be a good surprise. :)

I agree that these channel outages are a PITA and come far too often but if you're going from a Hopper 3 to a Genie you're gonna be very surprised at what you find, and I don't think it's gonna be a good surprise. :)

Granted, the H3 is far superior to any of the DTV receivers, but if you don't get the channels you want, does it really matter? I had a Genie before and it was more than sufficient. It's certainly no hopper but it gets the job done.

How the NFL network even remotely allowed a contract to expire in June when NOTHING is going on blows my mind. Dish is quite enjoying not paying them for the 3 month lull....Dish is totally in no hurry to get it back on until Football season.

Reactions: Tampa8
It's going to be almost a month since NFL Network was dropped (as well as the Tribune stations). Even though it has been almost a month, Dish has kept up that blue screen mentioning negotiating a new deal if it was fair to the consumer. Typically when a channel is dropped, such as some of the RSN's like CSNNE, Al Jazeera, or MAV TV, typically the blue screen is left up for 2 weeks then the channel number no longer appears in our guide. To me the fact we still have a blue screen there is a sign Dish is probably bringing the channel back at some point. And unless Dish has some surprising numbers on viewership, I would think a lot of people tune into NFL Network during the season.

Al Jazeera stopped existing so they were not dropped or even a dispute. CSNNE it seems was a mutual agreement, neither wanted to negotiate there were no reports of ongoing negotiations so my guess is they are too far apart. CSNNE has very little to offer. I also think MAV TV was more a DISH decision not to carry but it's been awhile so I can't remember all the details.
Locals are a totally different dispute, neither side is simply going to say we are just not going to do business, even if it takes an intervention of the FCC or an arbitrator. NFL network however, I don't know how much DISH does or does not value it or if they would even entertain having it in more packages.

How the NFL network even remotely allowed a contract to expire in June when NOTHING is going on blows my mind. Dish is quite enjoying not paying them for the 3 month lull....Dish is totally in no hurry to get it back on until Football season.
Out of boredom, I searched for any news about the dispute and discovered both Dish and the NFL are being remarkably quiet. About a month now and not so much as a peep from either party. Don't they at least issue news bits claiming the other side is being unreasonable and not bargaining in good faith, etc.?

Out of boredom, I searched for any news about the dispute and discovered both Dish and the NFL are being remarkably quiet. About a month now and not so much as a peep from either party. Don't they at least issue news bits claiming the other side is being unreasonable and not bargaining in good faith, etc.?
Not when neither side is in a big hurry and likely knows the final outcome.

Reactions: Tampa8
Dish needs to realize how important an issue this is and provide updates to the subscribers on whether or not this is going to get resolved soon. I'm about to switch to FIOS TV and say adios to Dish.

Dish needs to realize how important an issue this is and provide updates to the subscribers on whether or not this is going to get resolved soon. I'm about to switch to FIOS TV and say adios to Dish.

What's to update?

"Oh the channel is still off. Thank you for attending this daily update."

I disagree it's anywhere near an important issue. Not a channel only watched in some households, that has no NFL news that isn't available at any number of other channels or places online. Not a channel that has 8 games a year - a whole year with only 8 games, many of which most NFL fans don't care anything about. In fact as many of us have been thinking I don't think either side thinks it's that important, at least not now. This is the RSN problem in miniature form. Taking a few games, making a channel then start to demand more money or to be carried in more packages etc.. and who knows what else.

Also, if your local team's game is being broadcast on NFL Network, it is usually simulcast on the local channel as well, so that reduces the demand for the channel even more.

WOW some of you guys are really out of touch with reality. With only 16 games in a season every game counts, even Thursday night games. Many who subscribe to satellite do it for sports not sitcoms and movies and have never heard of forums like Satellite Guys so aren't here to express their opinions.
Its RedZone that most are concerned with and yes I'll guarantee many will jump ship if NFL network isn't back on very soon. We are 1 month out from start of preseason and much analyzes including fantasy football prospects (75 million play) are being missed out on because of this ongoing malignancy with Dish network.

Yes, every game counts. I'd get 14 of 16 games broadcast or simulcast locally and the other 2 I'd go to a sports bar if I have to. It isn't going to make me change out my entire system over the inconvenience of a couple games. I care about seeing my team, everything else is moot. That's reality.

Reactions: osu1991 and Tampa8
Yes, every game counts. I'd get 14 of 16 games broadcast or simulcast locally and the other 2 I'd go to a sports bar if I have to. It isn't going to make me change out my entire system over the inconvenience of a couple games. I care about seeing my team, everything else is moot. That's reality.

What he said.

Football fans want NFL network for more reasons than the 8 Thursday night games. I'm not going into it again so the question is does this escalate to changing out a system or provider? That's up to the individuals passion for the game. For me TV is all about sports and news, zero about movies reality TV & game shows.

Reactions: bgee
Football fans want NFL network for more reasons than the 8 Thursday night games. I'm not going into it again so the question is does this escalate to changing out a system or provider? That's up to the individuals passion for the game. For me TV is all about sports and news, zero about movies reality TV & game shows.
News? Dish has news channels?

Reactions: pattykay