NFL Network worst NFL coverage ever?

ronjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I am watching the Dallas/Atlanta game. The video is in HD. It looks clear, but the angles and graphics look horrible. The picture is cloudy in a dome game and I don't understand why. The commentators are by far the worst I have heard in an NFL game.

This is the first game I have watched on the NFL network. Is this typical?

Gumble is horrible, he sucks at commentating. Gets terms wrong, the first game he was very very bad saying things like 'well from here we can't quite tell if he got the first' when someone ran like 15 yards on 1st and 10.

The announcers do suck. I would assume the NFL Net is providing the graphics, but I do not pay any attention to them; just the game.

The angles are determined by the camera perches at each stadium; stadium provided.

The "cloudiness" is all thanks to STUPID indoor pyrotechnics. They last a while and usually happen pre-game and at halftime. Some idiots actually try to do small ones each home score.

My HD and SD displays look great; I am having no picture issues

My picture is pretty da*n good.
Very crisp and sharp.
As for the cloudyness, well I missed the 1st Quarter and the beginning of the 2nd half, but I don't see any problems with cloudy picture, if they did fieworks show at half, that explains that.... Yes, I have NO idea why they allow that type of stuff to be done, at ANY stadium, and definatly not for an indoor stadium.

Jimbo

The audio was not 5.1 either. Gumble is terrible...I thought Deon Sanders saved it tonight. Dick Vermeil was killing me.

Gumble is horrible, he sucks at commentating. Gets terms wrong, the first game he was very very bad saying things like 'well from here we can't quite tell if he got the first' when someone ran like 15 yards on 1st and 10.

The announcers do suck, when I watched the Pittsburgh Cleveland game they were so bad I turned on the radio and listen to them even with a 5 second delay.

Did you hear him you hear GUMBEL say that the "SHOT CLOCK" almost ran out on ROMO early in the game???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID ANYONE ELSE CATCH THAT?

OR when dallas had 1st and 10 and ran the ball for 6 yards to make it 2nd and 4 and Gumbel proceeds to say that the play didnt go for much? and criticize the running game?

Gesus Later in the game, I was hoping Sanders and Faulk would shove him out of the booth and lock the door!!!!!!!! Imagine that actually prefferring Deion Sanders. This was the first time my 17 yr old son ever watched the NFL network and after about 3 plays he said out of the blue that gumbel was annoying. who was that he asked? My response was he was lucky collinsworth wasnt there or it would be twice as bad. Collinsworth has always annoyed the piss out of me.

Last edited:
I saw a couple of those where the ball carriers entire body was over the yellow line and he said he couldnt tell. :rolleyes:

So is the NFL Network auditioning for commentator during the games ?
That makes about 4-5 different people in the booth and Collinsworth was not there. Will Gumbel be the one to get the boot.
Where was Collinsworth ??
Was he the 1st to get voted off the NFL pressbox Island ?

When Anderson kicked a field goal in the 2nd half, he almost hit the upright on the right, but it would have been good from another 10-15 yards.

Gumbel said : IF it LONG enough, it's good
There was never a problem with distance, but Doinking it off the upright might have been a problem.

Jimbo

Did you hear him you hear GUMBEL say that the "SHOT CLOCK" almost ran out on ROMO early in the game???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID ANYONE ELSE CATCH THAT?

Yeah, I did hear that and said out loud "This is not basketball!!"

Quite a fall Mr.Gumble has taken since his Today show days.

The angles are determined by the camera perches at each stadium; stadium provided.

The "cloudiness" is all thanks to STUPID indoor pyrotechnics. They last a while and usually happen pre-game and at halftime. Some idiots actually try to do small ones each home score.

My HD and SD displays look great; I am having no picture issues

I saw during a half-time review of the game that they did have fireworks when the Falcons were coming onto the field. I agree with others that they shouldn't do that. However I haven't seen that much cloudiness in Fox covered Atlanta games.

I realize that the stationary cameras are in set places in the stadium and are the same for anyone that carries the game. The game Saturday night however, the camera on the sideline view was zoomed out a lot further than other networks(CBS, Fox, NBC). It looked more like a CFL game on HDNet than NFL.

I did say in my original post that the clarity of the picture was very good. I didn't see motion artifacts as much as on the local Fox channel LILHD.

I am watching the Dallas/Atlanta game. The video is in HD. It looks clear, but the angles and graphics look horrible. The picture is cloudy in a dome game and I don't understand why. The commentators are by far the worst I have heard in an NFL game.

This is the first game I have watched on the NFL network. Is this typical?

this was my first game watching on nfl network as well. i agree with you about the commentators, they just blew.

can't comment on the video as i was watching it from someone's slingbox.

NFL Network worst coverage ever ?

The NFL network has only been doing LIVE games for about a month, so, although I agree they have been unimpressive, they are very new at this.
Although they should be able to find experienced announcers...

Jimbo

Collinsworth isn't bad, but not great either. I don't think he could be play-by-play but he does pretty good color. Gumble sucks bad, real bad. They better not keep him.

Words that need to be removed from Gumballs vocabulary...

Near,
Close,
About,
Not Quite,
Almost,
If,
Maybe,

I realize Play by Play spotting is not rocket science, and the Superimposed line is not official but jeez, Take a chance and call it a first down when he's 2 yards beyond it.

I liked Deion and Marshall in the booth, Greg Who?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)