NFL Red Zone Channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Trevor, If you don't mind asking..What number did you call that let you say retention on the voice activated menu? Just wondering since it won't work on the number I called..

I called 1 800 directv, the voice prompts asked if I was a current customer and then asked what I was calling about. I said retention and it asked if I wanted help adding equipment or wanted to cancel. I said cancel and after a few moments retention was on the line.

I ended up in another dept at first but asked if I could be transferred to rentention, the CSR quickly did. When I finally arrived in the dept it wasn't called "Rentention" she described herself as a "Jack of All Trades." I never once asked for RZC for free, I was just asking about getting it added to my account(s) I was put on hold for about 5-10 mins and the CSR came back and said no problem she had added it to my account(s) and it should show up in the next 10 mins, which it did and it showed no cost. It seems the keys are you need to be with DirecTV for at least a year, hopefully have other sports packages (previous ST, NBA, Sports Pack etc), and be in a market where Xfinity/Comcast are or mention Dish Network. I think the key is being nice and not demanding anything. Sadly the other DirecTV depts don't know about the offer and when you ask them they tell you that you're wrong and must have DirecTV confused wtih Dish Network...this is bad becuase it really offends customers.

I ended up in another dept at first but asked if I could be transferred to rentention, the CSR quickly did. When I finally arrived in the dept it wasn't called "Rentention" she described herself as a "Jack of All Trades." I never once asked for RZC for free, I was just asking about getting it added to my account(s) I was put on hold for about 5-10 mins and the CSR came back and said no problem she had added it to my account(s) and it should show up in the next 10 mins, which it did and it showed no cost. It seems the keys are you need to be with DirecTV for at least a year, hopefully have other sports packages (previous ST, NBA, Sports Pack etc), and be in a market where Xfinity/Comcast are or mention Dish Network. I think the key is being nice and not demanding anything. Sadly the other DirecTV depts don't know about the offer and when you ask them they tell you that you're wrong and must have DirecTV confused wtih Dish Network...this is bad becuase it really offends customers.

There are reasons why not all agents know aobut it Retentions has it own referenc data base. Also agents are not allowed to mention rentention offers, if there not retention agents.

There are reasons why not all agents know aobut it Retentions has it own referenc data base. Also agents are not allowed to mention rentention offers, if there not retention agents.

I have no problem with them not knowing about the offers, but when they tell customers they're wrong and must have DirecTV confused with other providers that's where it gets frustrating for customers. I don't blame the CSRs, just a flaw in the system. I still feel that RZC should be an offered channel that someone could subscribe to as an extra or added to the Sports Pack, would save all the confusion and frustration.

This is the same issue I had with the sunday ticket offers. I was told repeatedly that there were no such offers, even though there is ample evidence on the internet that such offers do exist. On one call the CSR implied that what I read on the internet was false and I should 'go fill out their form or follow their link to get the deal' if I read that somewhere.

I guess if directv wants to pretend that the internet doesnt exist, they can get away with this sort of partitioning. But perhaps they might want to train the CSR's to hand the customer off to the people who might be able to make the offer rather than say it doesnt exist or imply that the customer is making it up.

Or even better, offer the damn channel for $xx a month to everyone like every other cable and satellite company does and quit creating customer confusion and a lot of work for their CSR's.

People like us who get all of this information via the internet are a tiny fraction of their total customer base. We hear about things that the average CSR does not. To them it's just a job, they don't come here. Giving RedZone to a few subs who call in isn't going to hurt their bottom line while selling it to everyone just might. That being said, I think they will make it available for a price next year.

People like us who get all of this information via the internet are a tiny fraction of their total customer base. We hear about things that the average CSR does not. To them it's just a job, they don't come here. Giving RedZone to a few subs who call in isn't going to hurt their bottom line while selling it to everyone just might. That being said, I think they will make it available for a price next year.

Good call Joe :up

I'm sure a lot of folks in directv management agree with your line of thinking. Sadly, protectionism really never works.

The CSR's shouldnt have to come to the internet to find out what their company is offering to their customers. The system ought to cough that out to them and tell them that the customer isnt eligible and why. Then the CSR can explain to the customer why they dont qualify. Or there could be a number to transfer the customer to where a more qualified person can make the call.

Simply saying "oh, that doesnt exist!" or "I dont think thats true" because they dont see it doesnt seem to be the best solution. Especially when the customer already knows better.

As far as a sanctioned offering, every other cable and satellite provider that I'm aware of provides the RZC as a separate offering or in an inexpensive sports package. Directv is obviously offering this as well as a tool to avoid customer defection. The problem with that is that the customer has to pretty much already have decided to change providers to get what they want, since directv isnt offering it unless you buy a $300 football package. The last minute diving save is certainly heroic, but perhaps it'd be more beneficial to the relationship to simply offer what the customer wants at a fair price instead of trying to jack them into something more expensive.

I understand that many people call them knowing they can get the RZC thrown in as a retention tool, but the great unwashed non-internet using masses you speak of get to retentions when they really intend to quit and go elsewhere. Many studies have determined that when someone decides to stop doing business with someone else, break up with someone or change jobs that its possible to get them to change their mind with offers and changes, but that the vast majority of the time they're already emotionally committed to make the change and it happens in time anyhow.

So secret last minute retention deals that only a small number of CSR's know about and can use that are employed only at the last minute when a customer is going to leave because they didnt want to be baited into the expensive offering probably is probably not the best approach.

In a service market like this, you have to offer everything your competitors do and offer it cheaper, faster, better or easier. Holding onto a high priced, high content offering when the competitors have a substantially cheaper option that many consider to be a lot of bang for the buck is a tenuous position. You're trying to sell a $20 super gourmet cheeseburger against the other guys $5 cheeseburgers, while keeping your own $5 burger hiding in the kitchen and only the manager knows about it.

The situation for D* with regards to Red Zone is different. E* is going to offer RZC cheaply in order to persuade some of their customers to not switch to D* to get ST. They know they can't attract avid NFL fans with just RZC, but it is an inexpensive way to keep some of them.

D* has to be careful in their offering of RZC in that they have to protect the ST revenue stream. They do not want their own subs to drop ST in favor of RZC. I'm sure they'd like to protect their customer base that might switch to E* in part due to the availability of RZC, but I suspect the data shows that this isn't a large number.

They have to be data driven on these types of decisions. If they have evidence that indicates they will gain $2M in revenue from increased general subscriptions due to offering a cheap path to Red Zone, but that they will in turn lose $4M in ST revenue, then there isn't much reason for them to do that, even if it does irritate some of their customers. And if they feel they can placate some of those irritated customers with a secret deal, then that may well be their most logical decision.

However if general demand for the RZC grows to the point of where it does begin to drive more customers to their competitors and the overall impact on the bottom line from that exceeds the estimated loss in ST revenue, then they would likely reconsider their strategy.

I don't know how good their market research is, or how shrewd they are in making these decisions. But I can understand why they would choose to not offer RZC right now in a way that is competitive to what E* is doing.

The situation for D* with regards to Red Zone is different. E* is going to offer RZC cheaply in order to persuade some of their customers to not switch to D* to get ST. They know they can't attract avid NFL fans with just RZC, but it is an inexpensive way to keep some of them.

D* has to be careful in their offering of RZC in that they have to protect the ST revenue stream. They do not want their own subs to drop ST in favor of RZC. I'm sure they'd like to protect their customer base that might switch to E* in part due to the availability of RZC, but I suspect the data shows that this isn't a large number.

They have to be data driven on these types of decisions. If they have evidence that indicates they will gain $2M in revenue from increased general subscriptions due to offering a cheap path to Red Zone, but that they will in turn lose $4M in ST revenue, then there isn't much reason for them to do that, even if it does irritate some of their customers. And if they feel they can placate some of those irritated customers with a secret deal, then that may well be their most logical decision.

However if general demand for the RZC grows to the point of where it does begin to drive more customers to their competitors and the overall impact on the bottom line from that exceeds the estimated loss in ST revenue, then they would likely reconsider their strategy.

I don't know how good their market research is, or how shrewd they are in making these decisions. But I can understand why they would choose to not offer RZC right now in a way that is competitive to what E* is doing.

Chances are they will offer it next year.
The BIG push for the other providers having it, is it's the FIRST time they've had any NFL available to them ... to me the RZC is a pacifier for those that can't get the real thing (or afford it).

Chances are they will offer it next year.

The BIG push for the other providers having it, is it's the FIRST time they've had any NFL available to them

I dont know how u can conclude that.

The other providers already had RZ last year but directv still isnt making it officially available even this year....dont know why next year would be any different.

I dont know how u can conclude that.

The other providers already had RZ last year but directv still isnt making it officially available even this year....dont know why next year would be any different.

Well they pretty much just gave everyone that was interested in it FREE HD (quoting for 24 months), they gave you all (me included) FREE Super Fan as well.

Right there is $340 for anyone with ST and HD that was interested.

Now you want RZC too.

I think it will be different only if D*'s market research indicates that the estimated loss from losing subscribers to providers with RZ exceeds their estimate for losing subscriptions to Sunday Ticket.

I would be surprised if they make it really easy to get RZ, unless it becomes a major customer issue. They might feel they have to make it available to non-ST subs in some form, so they could offer it as a premium channel for $5-$10/month, just to say they have it.

Given that is now available from so many providers, they will be under pressure to offer it. Although their most rabid NFL fans will already have it via ST.

Well they pretty much just gave everyone that was interested in it FREE HD (quoting for 24 months), they gave you all (me included) FREE Super Fan as well.

Right there is $340 for anyone with ST and HD that was interested.

Now you want RZC too.

No....youre saying directv will probably make RZ available to everyone next year.

Im saying i think they wont.

Ticket to go has to be available for non ticket subs starting next year. The RZ is included in the agreement (from what I have read)

This adds to the fire, that next year you will see RZ offered on probably a "sports tier"

I think it will be different only if D*'s market research indicates that the estimated loss from losing subscribers to providers with RZ exceeds their estimate for losing subscriptions to Sunday Ticket.

Its not entirely that simple. Theres no way to do market research on how much collective annoyance you're loading on a customer that ends with the customer changing providers. Its hardly ever just one thing.

Right now I have a pitifully slow DVR, I cant get the RZC without jumping through customer service hoops and threatening to cancel, I couldnt get sunday ticket at the discount rate without 3 phone calls and threatening to cancel, yada yada yada.

In any case, lack of the RZC is a big impediment on gaining new customers. Sign up with Dish or Comcast, you can get the RZC. New customers cant get it from directv as a standalone even if they ask for it, because they're new and cant cancel. If you're a light-medium football fan and dont want to shell out $300 for ST, then you're not going to sign up with directv. Unless of course they give you a ton of crap for free, like the 5 month premier/free sunday ticket deal. So sub the lost income from the freebies to sign up the newbies from the potential ST revenue losses.

I'll say it again: protectionism never works. At best it just annoys the customer.. Ask Chrysler.

Just got redzone free by saying cancel service at the prompt and speaking with retentions. First time attempt and success. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)