NFL Team for LA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Everyone is missing the big point here. LA is a terrible sports city... always has been. I hate the excuse of "there so much to do". NYC has tons to do as well, but all the sports teams there do very well. Giants, Jets, Yankees, Rangers, and Knicks all sell out regularly.

If LA doesnt support a team then it's obvious they dont want one. Let's stop trying to make it work... besides California already has 3 teams. How many teams does it need?

It's not my idea, just an idea I liked. How does that screw up the playoffs? Also, the 17th game doesnt mean the last game of the season.

I also love the idea of re-seeding the playoffs... ie the 8-8 Charges would not be hosting the 12-4 Colts. Teams clinch their normal ways, but at the conclusion of the season are re-seeded. Here is the current seeding for the AFC:

1. Titans 12-4 (bye)
2. Steelers 12-4 (bye)
3. Dolphins 11-5 (vs Ravens)
4. Chargers 8-8 (vs Colts)
5. Colts 12-4 (@ Chargers)
6. Ravens 11-5 (@ Dolphins

If at the end of the season, teams records mattered even though they've clinched their playoff spots, there would be far fewer meaningless games. If they were re-seeded by record, we'd see this:

1. Titans 12-4 (bye)
2. Steelers 12-4 (bye)
3. Colts 12-4 (vs Chargers)
4. Dolphins 11-5 (vs Ravens)
5. Ravens 11-5 (@ Dolphins)
6. Chargers 8-8 (@ Colts)

Now, not a lot changed cause im not going to go play with tiebreakers, but in this situation you could potentially have the Colts take even the number 1 seed depending on head to head and all the other fun tiebreaker rules.

....or.... Tennessee would have actually tried to win on Sunday, and be 13-3 and truly clinch #1 and ensure games against the lowest seeded opponents throughout the playoffs.

Tennessee did finish 13-3. Indy would have had tiebreaker over Pittsburgh due to head-to-head. Baltimore would have had tiebreaker over Miami due to head-to-head. So it would have looked like this under your scenario:

1. Tennessee (13-3)
2. Indianapolis (12-4)
3. Pittsburgh (12-4) (vs. San Diego)
4. Baltimore (11-5) (vs. Miami)
5. Miami (11-5) (@Baltimore)
6. San Diego (8-8) (@Pittsburgh)

Here is what the NFC would have looked like
1. N.Y. Giants (12-4)
2. Carolina (12-4)
3. Atlanta(11-5) (vs. Arizona)
4. Minnesota(10-6) (vs. Philadelphia)
5. Philadelphia(9-6-1) (@Minnesota)
6. Arizona(9-7) (@Atlanta)

Seems to me that the lack of a top grade stadium has been the reason for no NFL team in LA. That would be cured, if Ed Roski actually builds his proposed stadium. Will that happen?? There are a number of teams in old stadiums that could be tempted by the LA market, if he goes ahead with his plan.

L.A. missed it's GOLDEN opportunity when Peter O' Malley (then owner of the Dodgers) wanted the city to go in with him on a new football stadium in Chavez Ravine next to Dodger Stadium in the mid 90's. PERFECT LOCATION! Well the then-mayor would not buy into it and O' Malley soon after sold the team and end of all good-things Dodgers came crashing down.

And when I keep hearing these alleged know-it-alls from PoDunk, USA waxing philisophically about the poor quality of the L.A. sports fan I could really vent badly enough to get myself banned from here. 99% of these bums have never set foot on California soil to even experience a sports season out here. Generalizing from 4,000 miles away and going by stats and stories really, truly offends those of us who are die-hards to our professional sport(s) out here...and there are many of us:mad:!

Last edited:
Thanks Mets and best wishes to you. If there was really a need for the NFL to return to L.A. it would have come when Houston got their team. Having no L.A. or Anaheim NFL team has done wonders for the NFL in San Diego. Plus now with the Chargers making playoffs of late, the NFL is satisfied for now with what's going on. Maybe...maybe down the road. They've waited this long...why rush it?

And, what has helped immensley is that USC football has the city on it's ear for years now. If both USC and UCLA were terrible NCAA football regimes it would be a different story. But the city is locked down on Saturday afternoons when Pete's boys are playing at home!

Plus now with the Chargers making playoffs of late, the NFL is satisfied for now with what's going on. Maybe...maybe down the road. They've waited this long...why rush it?

And, what has helped immensley is that USC football has the city on it's ear for years now. If both USC and UCLA were terrible NCAA football regimes it would be a different story. But the city is locked down on Saturday afternoons when Pete's boys are playing at home!

Plus now with the Chargers making playoffs of late, the NFL is satisfied for now with what's going on. Maybe...maybe down the road. They've waited this long...why rush it?

Thanks Mets and best wishes to you. If there was really a need for the NFL to return to L.A. it would have come when Houston got their team. Having no L.A. or Anaheim NFL team has done wonders for the NFL in San Diego. Plus now with the Chargers making playoffs of late, the NFL is satisfied for now with what's going on. Maybe...maybe down the road. They've waited this long...why rush it?

Or, as we are fond of saying out here, "Who needs the NFL? we have USC Football!!!!":D:D:D Fills the Collesium every home game for how many years now?:cool:

L.A. missed it's GOLDEN opportunity when Peter O' Malley (then owner of the Dodgers) wanted the city to go in with him on a new football stadium in Chavez Ravine next to Dodger Stadium in the mid 90's. PERFECT LOCATION! Well the then-mayor would not buy into it and O' Malley soon after sold the team and end of all good-things Dodgers came crashing down.

And when I keep hearing these alleged know-it-alls from PoDunk, USA waxing philisophically about the poor quality of the L.A. sports fan I could really vent badly enough to get myself banned from here. 99% of these bums have never set foot on California soil to even experience a sports season out here. Generalizing from 4,000 miles away and going by stats and stories really, truly offends those of us who are die-hards to our professional sport(s) out here...and there are many of us:mad:!

KCK Halo, I'm a little confused. Based on your posts on this topic do you want a team in LA or do you think the time has passed? Your talking about how people are saying that the LA sports fan is terrible but before your talking about how UCLA and USC play on Sat. and how USC fills the Coliseum. So, wouldn't you be agreeing that the LA sports fan is bad. I'm not nor would I ever try to attack you or be sarcastic, I'm just a little confused.

KCK Halo, I'm a little confused. Based on your posts on this topic do you want a team in LA or do you think the time has passed?

Actually, not being an NFL fan I only look at it from an economic standpoint. It would only mean good things for the city to regain NFL stature. So, yes I would be in favor of another NFL team coming here.

Your talking about how people are saying that the LA sports fan is terrible but before your talking about how UCLA and USC play on Sat. and how USC fills the Coliseum. So, wouldn't you be agreeing that the LA sports fan is bad.

I don't understand where it is confusing and I apologize if it is. How can filling the Coliseum on several autumn afternoons mean the L.A. fan is bad? I am sure that UCLA has great attendance, too but I am not aware of the numbers.

I'm not nor would I ever try to attack you or be sarcastic, I'm just a little confused.

I know you wouldn't knock me without good reason. I enjoy reading your posts. Again, sorry if I confused you but I just get irritated when outsiders knock our love of local sports teams.

As far as baseball, I am right up there with you and others here with passion for the game and my team. I am a huge Ducks fan and love watching hockey but I have quite a bit of catching up to have the passion of Sabres and some others here. But that doesn't make me a poor fan. I love the game and support it all I can. I love USC football (am ducking for cover now!!!!:eek:) and am also a Lakers supporter. I say supporter because I am not an NBA fan but will do all I can to support the team that is truly L.A.'s crown jewel of professional sports.

Hope this clears things up and I wish you and all here a happy and prosperous 2009!

Last edited:
I think LA has great sports fans, the Angels and Dodgers have been near the top regarding attendance, good luck finding an open seat at a Lakers game (we won't get into the Clippers) and yes the Coliseum is filled on Saturday afternoons. But when it comes to pro football, I like getting having an extra NFL game on TV living in LA. The only way I would root for an NFL team is if we got an expansion team. I don't think LA fans would be passionate about having sloppy seconds from another city.

KCK Halo, I'm a little confused. Based on your posts on this topic do you want a team in LA or do you think the time has passed?

Actually, not being an NFL fan I only look at it from an economic standpoint. It would only mean good things for the city to regain NFL stature. So, yes I would be in favor of another NFL team coming here.

Your talking about how people are saying that the LA sports fan is terrible but before your talking about how UCLA and USC play on Sat. and how USC fills the Coliseum. So, wouldn't you be agreeing that the LA sports fan is bad.

I don't understand where it is confusing and I apologize if it is. How can filling the Coliseum on several autumn afternoons mean the L.A. fan is bad? I am sure that UCLA has great attendance, too but I am not aware of the numbers.

I'm not nor would I ever try to attack you or be sarcastic, I'm just a little confused.

I know you wouldn't knock me without good reason. I enjoy reading your posts. Again, sorry if I confused you but I just get irritated when outsiders knock our love of local sports teams.

As far as baseball, I am right up there with you and others here with passion for the game and my team. I am a huge Ducks fan and love watching hockey but I have quite a bit of catching up to have the passion of Sabres and some others here. But that doesn't make me a poor fan. I love the game and support it all I can. I love USC football (am ducking for cover now!!!!:eek:) and am also a Lakers supporter. I say supporter because I am not an NBA fan but will do all I can to support the team that is truly L.A.'s crown jewel of professional sports.

Hope this clears things up and I wish you and all here a happy and prosperous 2009!

KCK Halo, you cleared everything up. I understand where your coming from now. Happy New Year and stay safe!!! (Although I'm sure it's a lot nicer in Cal. than here in Connecticut where we got 7 inches of snow today!!! Wind chill minus 3 is what I think the weather is along with its 21 degree temperature!!!)

IMO, I think for the good of the league, there should be a team in L.A., but I also feel before they get a team, they should agree to build a new stadium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)