NFL's "Red Zone" Channel (any chance)

dmendenjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
The keystone state
I missed this when direct re-upped the sunday ticket

The one piece of the NFL Sunday Ticket that will be available to cable TV and Dish Network customers is the “Red Zone” channel. The Red Zone channel jumps from game to game, generally when one team is in the red zone and about to score. No word yet on what the Red Zone channel will cost for new subscribers.
(source)

I just heard about it today as a quip in the NFL/Comcast settlement. Comcast is adding it to their sports pack.

Any rumor (chance) that this could possible be coming to e*?

Also added to the Comcast Package would be extra NFL Video on Demand material. Hopefully Dish can get a reasonable solution to the VOD issue, because I see that as the only thing that the cable companies have it over Dish / Direct TV. I'm not sure how D* handles / implements VOD, but Dish's effort is weak at best.

When we cut Comcast and went with Dish, the loss of VOD material was the only thing that made me wince.

Also this: Does anyone have any thoughts about what this negotiation between the NFL and Comcast means to Dish? I know nothing about the issues or negotiations between the NFL and anyone, but didn't the NFL get basically what it wanted here? Something like:

1. Comcast would include the NFL Network on a lower tier (All Digital Cable subscribers will now get it), and...
2. $00.75 / subscriber paid by Comcast to the NFL.

Do I have that right?

So anyway, whenever the NFL comes a-knockin', how will the Comcast negotiation affect Dish?

Last edited:
I think Dish extended/resigned their agreement with NFL Network a month or two ago, didn't they?

Last edited:
Also this: Does anyone have any thoughts about what this negotiation between the NFL and Comcast means to Dish? I know nothing about the issues or negotiations between the NFL and anyone, but didn't the NFL get basically what it wanted here? Something like:

1. Comcast would include the NFL Network on a lower tier (All Digital Cable subscribers will now get it), and...
2. $00.75 / subscriber paid by Comcast to the NFL.

Do I have that right?

So anyway, whenever the NFL comes a-knockin', how will the Comcast negotiation affect Dish?
:D It means (when the contract is next up for renegotiation) that dish will probably loose NFL net until they get a better deal that the highly public rate that comcast worked out for the channel.

Since we didn't hear anything about this when the E*/NFL deal was ironed out I'm guess we won't see it (but I wouldn't mind having it)

If I had to guess I would say Dish will have this. Dish was very eager to get NFL Network after they lost out on the Sunday Ticket bid years ago. Since Dish lost out again on Sunday Ticket I would hope they would add this as a band-aid.

I think Dish extended/resigned their agreement with NFL Network a month or two ago, didn't they?

I was thinking that they settled a lawsuite at about that time, ensuring that the NFLN would not be interrupted or taken off during its current contractual period, but I don't remember for sure. Maybe it was a contract signing. :eek:

If I had to guess I would say Dish will have this. Dish was very eager to get NFL Network after they lost out on the Sunday Ticket bid years ago. Since Dish lost out again on Sunday Ticket I would hope they would add this as a band-aid.

I'm certain that Dish will want it, and I will want to view the Red Zone channel. But that's plainly where the catch is. "Oh, you'd like to add Red Zone Channel to your Line Up Mr. Ergen? Very well! It's available for a nominal fee and, of course, we'll need to renegotiate the terms of the NFL Network Channel for Dish. We'll just start everything off with a brand new contract." :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts