NHL Center Ice - auto-renewal or not?

AdamGott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
I did an online Dish tech support chat thing today to get rid of NHL Center Ice (just in case I decide not to get it this year) and I was told that it is not auto-renewing and that I don't have to worry about it? Is this true?

It is auto renewal. I would watch your bill closely. It took me over 3 months last year to finally get it cancelled properly.

I did an online Dish tech support chat thing today to get rid of NHL Center Ice (just in case I decide not to get it this year) and I was told that it is not auto-renewing and that I don't have to worry about it? Is this true?

Well if it is not auto-renewing then how come I got a letter telling me it has been auto-renewed?

Same here, the letter said we had until Oct to cancel. I don't remember the actual date.

I don't think that I got a letter. It is possible that I already called and cancelled after the season last year. I know that I thought about doing that but I don't think that I did...

It's not that I am not going to renew, I probably will, but I want to choose to do it in lieu of being forced to do it.

A big reason for me not to renew would be that if I move my service address back to where I actually live I would lose my home team's games (avalanche) because I am on HD Absolute with no RSN. There were almost enough out of market games on the NHL network (especially considering the fact that they have Hockey Night In Canada in HD now) for me. I will miss a lot, I know, but for now I am trying to decide if it is worth $160 to see those games. I did watch every playoff game last year (except for four - my damn DVR screwed up a couple of times!).

I haver aletter right here that states returning CI customers would be billed monthly for the service starting 60 days before the first regular seaon games are played. This is Oct 1st.. Of course we are in that 60 day window..
Now, I called Dish to pay for the service up front and was told I could not. I finally, after getting pissed off about the vague answers I was getting, that Dish has not yet signed a contract with the NHL. Same as last year, an 11th hour decsion will be made.
Stay tuned..I will be an unhappy individual if Dish drops the ball on this.
There always on line viewing via NHL.com

I didn't get a letter but I paid in full on a separate credit card last year, so I wonder if that's why I didn't get anything about auto-renew? I see neither Dish or Directv has any information about NHL Center Ice yet for this season. Usually it's up by now, isn't it?

I haver aletter right here that states returning CI customers would be billed monthly for the service starting 60 days before the first regular seaon games are played. This is Oct 1st.. Of course we are in that 60 day window..
Now, I called Dish to pay for the service up front and was told I could not. I finally, after getting pissed off about the vague answers I was getting, that Dish has not yet signed a contract with the NHL. Same as last year, an 11th hour decsion will be made.
Stay tuned..I will be an unhappy individual if Dish drops the ball on this.
There always on line viewing via NHL.com

I wouldn't be too concerned over the contract status. It's my understanding that Center Ice is a yearly negotiation for ALL carriers (cable, satellite, etc.). I just noticed today that all the Center Ice channels (starting on channel 625 and going through 639) are now showing up on the channel list.

Face it, the NHL cannot let a major carrier walk due to a negotiation squabble. They need as much exposure as possible and at this juncture I can't imagine them signing any kind of exclusive broadcast package (ie. D* NFL Sunday ticket). I mean if a crappy company like Charter Cable can have a squabble with the NHL (two years ago) and come out with the package then Chuck at Dish shouldn't have a problem at all, right?:angel:

Okay, so the NHL Center Ice package is finally listed on the Dish site (for 163.80 or 4 installments of $40.95). In years past, I have payed for this package in full on a separate credit card and not through my Dish bill. I used to have to go online before the next season started and stop the auto-renew on this package every year.

Well I went online and the customer service rep said that NHL Center Ice wasn't on auto-renew anymore? I know a few of you said you got letters saying that you were. My question is, has any of you got charged for it yet? I want to order it separate anyway but want to make sure I'm not double ordering the package. I'm sure that would be a pain in the you know what to cancel one of those if I did! :confused:

Okay, so the NHL Center Ice package is finally listed on the Dish site (for 163.80 or 4 installments of $40.95). In years past, I have payed for this package in full on a separate credit card and not through my Dish bill. I used to have to go online before the next season started and stop the auto-renew on this package every year.

Well I went online and the customer service rep said that NHL Center Ice wasn't on auto-renew anymore? I know a few of you said you got letters saying that you were. My question is, has any of you got charged for it yet? I want to order it separate anyway but want to make sure I'm not double ordering the package. I'm sure that would be a pain in the you know what to cancel one of those if I did! :confused:

Crimp, it certainly IS still on auto-renew. Sounds like you might need to spin the customer service wheel one more time. :D

My account was charged (one time, full fee) on 8/25. So yes, it is showing up on bills.

Crimp, it certainly IS still on auto-renew. Sounds like you might need to spin the customer service wheel one more time. :D

My account was charged (one time, full fee) on 8/25. So yes, it is showing up on bills.

I checked my bill and the first installment showed up.

08/25 08/25 NHL CENTER ICE 09-10 01 OF 04 02:00 A.M $40.95

Center Ice didn't show up on my bill from last month so maybe they, for once, knew what they were talking about when I did the online chat. I will still watch closely to make sure that they don't charge me unless I decide to keep CI.

I got the auto charge, $163. What happened to the days of the early bird $139 price?

I hope they get MSG HD already, I am sick of never watching those east coast games because the SD MSG feed is always so terrible.

I also hope more games are in HD this year. They have the RSN contracts in place, so if the game is in HD on the RSN, it should be in HD on Center ICE.

I have been a NHL Center Ice subscriber for the past 3 years. Until this year, I always received a letter in August from Dish informing me that my subscription would automatically renew unless I cancelled the service. This year I have not heard or received anything from Dish. My bill has not been charged for the service so I would guess that I am not signed up? I am very very reluctant to re-sign because I know if I do I would probably be charged twice for the same service.

HD MSG is not made available to Dish or Direct TV by Cablevision. HD MSG is only available on Cablevision.

Hey. I'm a hockey fan, but yeah. Read the fine print. It's auto renew.
B.jpg

Check your bills right now if you don't want auto renew. I was not billed when everyone else was (about a month ago) and I called TWICE to cancel - once after the season and once a month ago when I started this thread. Both times I was assured that it was not going to auto-renew. Today I find an extra $43 charge on my bill and it did auto renew. I did an online chat and had it removed.

Or at least they told me that it was removed. I was actually thinking about resubscribing but because of this bs I probably won't. I am also worried that if I 'move' back to my billing address I will lose the team that I want to watch via blackouts (I am on the old Absolute HD package with no RSN).

HD MSG is not made available to Dish or Direct TV by Cablevision. HD MSG is only available on Cablevision.

Not true. It is available to subs of TWC and Directv, whom fall into the Buffalo, Rochester, and Upstate NY DMAs. I was forced to switch to TWC after six years with E*, inorder to get MSG-B HD (Buffalo Sabres) and YES-HD. I also receive the regular MSG and MSG+ in HD. Unfortunately I doubt Dish will ever carry any of them.

In retrospect, it is a tradeoff. TWC does not offer NFL Network or the NFL Redzone Channel, plus their DVR is a Chevy when comparing it to the Cadillac of Dishnetwork's. TWC's VOD and their startover feature are great though. It ends up being a matter of wants. I have chosen to have 8 months of my Hockey Team, and my Baseball Team in HD, over 16 weeks of the Redzone Channel. I will just have to suffer and watch the CBS, FOX, NBC and ESPN coverage of the NFL. BTW, I will get to see every Buffafo Bills game in HD anyways.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)