NHL Center Ice Renewal...

yes, i talked to a Dish CSR. But that written response doesn't sound promising, eh? I won't wait until the last second. Direct is looking better by the minute.

It's one thing that Dish is making us mad not giving us answers about if they're going to cover CI or not, but what would make my blood boil is that Charlie would have lied to us if they don't strike a deal..:mad:

If Dish is negotiating with the NHL it wouldn't make sense to them to tell its customers that it will be offered for sure since that only puts them in a weak negotiating position. The NHL would simply wait them out since it's been promised. However, it looks like Charlie has done just that. But other reps are telling customers that there is some uncertainty involved. In any case, I've gotten sick of all this and switched to DirecTV on Friday. I do believe that Dish will cut a deal but the sports customer (ie, me, being a subscriber of both CI and EI) is better off with DirecTV, especially considering the eminent rollout of their new HD content.

If Dish is negotiating with the NHL it wouldn't make sense to them to tell its customers that it will be offered for sure since that only puts them in a weak negotiating position. The NHL would simply wait them out since it's been promised. However, it looks like Charlie has done just that. But other reps are telling customers that there is some uncertainty involved. In any case, I've gotten sick of all this and switched to DirecTV on Friday. I do believe that Dish will cut a deal but the sports customer (ie, me, being a subscriber of both CI and EI) is better off with DirecTV, especially considering the eminent rollout of their new HD content.

Stuckingoo,

I hope you enjoy DirecTV service, just remember that many of the promised NEW HD channels on DirecTV do not exist AT ALL YET. Scifi HD, as well as most of the channels that Dish currently does not have are NOT available in HD.

If DirecTV starts offering an HD channel with signal of all of these promised HD additions that are currently not available they will be Stretch-o-Vision upconverted SD material.

DirecTV don't bother, it will only piss people off, especially if you are going to charge more for these aaaahem "HD" channels.

John

I was just told by a CSR that C.I. negotiations have been concluded and that prices and schedule will be up next week.

I take this with a grain of salt, as he also insisted there was no such thing as Fox Sports Network Bay Area in HD. When pressed, he said Comcast and DirecTV were carrying a 720p upconversion, which is not actually HD. Dish, he explained, only carries true HD.

Uh-huh.

Well, I was on my way to Direct. But maybe I'll hold off until beginning of next week. Is C.I. carrying those Kings-Ducks games from England on Sept. 29, 30?

The London games will be carried on Versus and will NOT be on CI.
Here are the first few of the games on Versus;

Sept. 30 12:00 pm Anaheim vs Los Angeles (London)
Oct. 3* 7:00 pm Anaheim at Detroit
Oct. 3* 9:30 pm Dallas at Colorado
Sept. 30 12:00 pm Anaheim vs Los Angeles (London)
Oct. 3* 7:00 pm Anaheim at Detroit
Oct. 3* 9:30 pm Dallas at Colorado

Last edited:
It's one thing that Dish is making us mad not giving us answers about if they're going to cover CI or not, but what would make my blood boil is that Charlie would have lied to us if they don't strike a deal..:mad:

I agree totally. Charlie should have kept his mouth shut about CI unless a deal was in place. It would not look good if E* doesnt get CI after what was said on the Charlie Chat. Of course now that i read the excerpt below it doesnt sound like it is a done deal yet. If it were a done deal I am sure that first installment would have shown up on my bill by now.
________

Question Paul(aka stone phillips 420):
Jim , Charlie good evening, first of all I would like to give out a shout out to SatelliteGuys.US Pils, Scott G. Dishstore.net and jstarjay . I sure would like to see hockey on that big 108" er
Answer: You'r gonna get it, we expect to launch the NHL Center Ice in HD this season and all out of market games plus we have RSN's
2nd Question: NHL HD is that coming anytime soon?
Answer: NHL network will include center ice.
Eric Sahl: we are wrapping up negotiations for NHL HD it will have out of market games (center ice) expected launch Oct 1st,
we will have most of the center ice games in HD

This is such a tough call on what to do. For the most part I like Dish Network and the service I get. Its only this CI thing that is really starting to push me away.

I think if by Oct 1 they don't have it, but there is signs of them trying to work it out, i'll deal with it and just catch the games on NHL radio. But if it goes more than 30 days, i'll probably have no choice but to look into other providers.

This is such a tough call on what to do. For the most part I like Dish Network and the service I get. Its only this CI thing that is really starting to push me away.

I think if by Oct 1 they don't have it, but there is signs of them trying to work it out, i'll deal with it and just catch the games on NHL radio. But if it goes more than 30 days, i'll probably have no choice but to look into other providers.

this is so tough, you're correct - except i'm in the opposite boat- i'm with d*, 9+ years with CI - but i love the fact that Dish has shown both feeds of out of market games- this alone would make me switch.
i know that once the season starts with d* there are no refunds or credits on canceling CI - is it the same with dish??

this is so tough, you're correct - except i'm in the opposite boat- i'm with d*, 9+ years with CI - but i love the fact that Dish has shown both feeds of out of market games- this alone would make me switch.
i know that once the season starts with d* there are no refunds or credits on canceling CI - is it the same with dish??

Yes, I believe it is the same deal with dish. But I wonder if you choose the payment plan instead of paying it all up front, you can bail out after the 1st payment. I think Dish/DTV both offer this option.

Something to think about and look into.

And I agree about the multiple feeds last year. It was real nice having the option of listening to my home announcers. It actually really didn't sink in until one time I could only get the away feed. The announcers were so bad, I used the detroit radio feed from NHL.com and synced the video with the radio feed so there was no delay.

I am keeping my hopes up that a deal will get done before the season starts. I also enjoy getting both home and away feeds of the games. I just checked my upcoming bill online and there is no charge for CI on it yet so that not a good sign for us CI subs.

Stuckingoo,

I hope you enjoy DirecTV service, just remember that many of the promised NEW HD channels on DirecTV do not exist AT ALL YET. Scifi HD, as well as most of the channels that Dish currently does not have are NOT available in HD.

If DirecTV starts offering an HD channel with signal of all of these promised HD additions that are currently not available they will be Stretch-o-Vision upconverted SD material.

DirecTV don't bother, it will only piss people off, especially if you are going to charge more for these aaaahem "HD" channels.

John

If you were to compare the HD offerings of Dish to those that are scheduled for rollout by DirecTV in the next two months, you would find that DirecTV will offer practically everthing that Dish does.....except the Voom channels. Which, IMHO, are a waste of money. I believe Voom is an obsolete concept.....meant to showcase HD but HD is now so prevelent it doesn't need showcasing.

Gallery HD, Monsters HD, Kung Fu HD, Ultra HD, Treasure HD, World Sport HD etc......I subscribed to this for a year, even put many of these channels on my favorites list on my universal remote. Hardly ever watched these channels. As you know, Voom has come under a good bit of critisism for its content. Personally, I'd rather watch the previous nite's Conan show on HD that I record every nite than most of the Voom offerings.

On the other hand, I look at the DirecTV stuff and it is practically all watchable. In any case, it's all there for people to research and decide upon. Each has something to offer and DirecTV is the best fit for me.

New Dish customer here.

I just dropped Directv...but dealt with sports subscriptions there for years. There , if the package STARTS (meaning you receive 1 day of games) you pay the entire price. I dropped the NFL package 3 days before the season started so got off the hook. If I had waited until the following Monday...I would owe them the entire amount...payment plan or not.

I didn't expect there to be a problem getting CI on Dish....nor was aware of the EI deal either. Oh well. Too late now.

I called Dish today trying to get a commitment waiver in case it didn't offer Center Ice and three layers of reps refused to give it to me. The third one I talked to said that they definitely would have it, they just hadn't announced the price structure. I'm still skeptical until I actually can order it.

I was told that if I canceled, it would cost me $71.

I'm outta here in March for sure because I doubt that Dish is going to offer Extra Innings next season. It's just a heck of a lot easier than going through mlb.tv.

I too, have Dish Network and ever since i called Dish Network customer service, I have been absolutely frustrated with this thought and I cry myself to sleep every night (jk). But i watched the Charlie chat and he said they were going to get it but i understand that Dish Network has not yet posted it on their website yet. Im so confused. I was reading this forum and somewhere along the line i seen that Gary Bettman is going to explain more details tommorow wit Nhl center ice and Dish. Is this true and if it is can someone tell me where i can watch it live?

Always nice with the D* subs start coming around here talking about they great channels they are going to be getting. Yea, sure thing. That and a $1 will get you cup of coffee. Quotes like this "On the other hand, I look at the DirecTV stuff and it is practically all watchable." are laughable. Watchable where? In your mind on your magic TV?

Anyway, back on topic. I too am a huge NHL fan as some around here know. I still think everything is going to be fine and have not seen or heard anything that makes me think otherwise. Yes, it sucks they have not put up the info earlier. But if everything works out, E*'s coverage of the NHL will be superior to the D*'s in every way. Home and Away feeds. And the launch of the NHLHD channels that have been uplinked but not lit. Throw in what should be consistent Vs HD coverage and E* will come out the winner easily.

If Charlie plays hardball and the deal isn't done until a month, a week or even a day after the first telecast, he better offer an appropriate discount from the full CI season price. If I'm going to miss part of the season and still have to pay full price, it won't be to Dish.

I'm still bummed about the Versus fiasco -- missed several NHL games because Versus was pulled even though we still paid for the channel on our billing -- no credit was ever issued...

Pittsburgh HD locals breaking up

dishonline

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)