NHL lack of

molo316

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
I live in canton Ohio and wanted to catch a peek of game 7 tonight. I turn on vs and its blacked out@! Pittsburgh is 95 miles away! who's fault is this??

What media market are you in? If you are not in the Pittsburgh DMA then it will be blocked out. Sorry, but that's not Dish's fault; blame the FCC.

I live in canton Ohio and wanted to catch a peek of game 7 tonight. I turn on vs and its blacked out@! Pittsburgh is 95 miles away! who's fault is this??
the home team determines it's "home "territory.
I gather you do not receive Fox Pittsburgh as an RSN.
That sucks.
The way I see it is if a team claims a territory then the games should be available on tv.
For example your situation. Because the Penguins claim your zip code as part of it's territory, then they should offer their tv outlet in your area.
At the end of the day I believe sports blackouts to be idiotic.
These things should be banned.
The bottom line is I am willing to pay for it , I should be able to watch it.

shouldn't be blacked out at all. Versus has exclusive coverage and the game was a sellout in Washington D.C.
here's how it works. VS has the national deal. However the local RSN for that team has the rights within the boundarties of each team's territory.
Therefore the national feed is blacked out. Fams within the territory of each team get the game via their local RSN. IN the OP"s case I am assuming the Pittsburgh RSN is not offered as a local RSN in his zip code.
Ohio is a weird place for this. There are many fans of Pittsburgh teams living in Eastern Ohio but typically the people living in those areas are offered Ohio based RSN's. The OP probably gets Fox OH as well as Sports Time Ohio.

I checked the 400's and I had nothing. My rsn is 425 fso, and 431 sto. So if it happens again, I will call dish up. I am not a hockey fan, just wanted to at least see the game, since it was game 7.

According to E* website you are eligible for Cleveland Locals and your RSN's are STO, FSO and Big Ten Network. You should have watched the game on channel 151 Versus.

Tonights games will be on Versus and the NHL Network, unless you have access to CBC like I do and will watch the Detroit game on Hockey NIght in Canada.

Sorry you missed a good one. RSNs are on alternates, too. In my area there was one instance with HD coverage of NHL, NBA and MLB at the same time.

Looking forward to tonights games. Go Detroit! Go Carolina! Would like to see a redo of last year's Cup.

DishComm nails this. Looking at this link of blackout rules for Center Ice on cable (not E*):
http://www.tsq.com/alerts\NHL Center Ice Blackouts 2006 2007.pdf

On the next to last page Massillon, OH which is just west of Canton is listed as a "Sphere" blackout zone for the Penguins. The NHL hides most of this stuff from self service on their website, so this is from a vendor that provides a programming service to cable systems.

Sucks that the OP's region gets claimed by the Pens to the NHL but is not offered Fox Sports Pittsburgh as an RSN. Seems like that's out of whack.

NHL blackout policies don't care that you can't get the RSN channel. Just that it's on the Pen's RSN feed as available to fans and the Pens claim the region, so he's hosed.

If you the OP had the Sports Pack, the game was replayed on FSP at 11pm ET last night and he could have watched it then as the blackout would only apply to the original broadcast window. It wasn't that great a game as far as game 7s go compared to the tension and drama of the first 6. Both teams are great, but this one was decided early on.

As the Pens go forward, it won't matter as the RSN's only cover the first 2 rounds. So Versus will not be blacked out for the Eastern Conference Finals or Cup Finals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)