Why can't you have locals that have HD, when your's don't?

york4311

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
USA
Does anyone know why it is that local channels are based solely on your zip code? My locals, OTA are in HD, but with Dish they are not offered in HD as of yet.

To avoid having to string yet another antenna on my house, I am paying Dish $5 a month for locals.

I recently called them and asked if I could switch my locals to another local package that is still close, but is offered in HD, and then switch back later, when my true locals are offered in HD. Dish of course said, NOPE! Can't do it, it's based on your zip code.

Seems silly to me as to what local package I get. Why can't you pick and choose something at least close that offers HD feeds, especially when you are a Turbo HD package subscriber...obviously you want HD feeds or you wouldn't go with Turbo HD, right???

Maybe you should consider "moving." There are many threads in this forum on this topic. Just be careful to "move" to a market in a spotbeam that covers your physical location.

Legally, E* cannot offer out of market locals to anyone. "Moving" or an OTA antenna are your two choices until E* puts your locals up in HD.

It's protectionism.

And as much as I hate people who say "just put up an antenna" because I CAN'T where I live...if I could, I would. Actually, I just took down my 10 foot long antenna, because the only station I could get (which wasn't even in HD) went off the air.

Does anyone know why it is that local channels are based solely on your zip code? My locals, OTA are in HD, but with Dish they are not offered in HD as of yet.

To avoid having to string yet another antenna on my house, I am paying Dish $5 a month for locals.

I recently called them and asked if I could switch my locals to another local package that is still close, but is offered in HD, and then switch back later, when my true locals are offered in HD. Dish of course said, NOPE! Can't do it, it's based on your zip code.

Seems silly to me as to what local package I get. Why can't you pick and choose something at least close that offers HD feeds, especially when you are a Turbo HD package subscriber...obviously you want HD feeds or you wouldn't go with Turbo HD, right???

I'm not sure why the Satellite companies charge for HD on locals when you can get them free with an antenna. When will the day come that they do NOT charge for what you can get for free?

I'm not sure why the Satellite companies charge for HD on locals when you can get them free with an antenna. When will the day come that they do NOT charge for what you can get for free?
You can get SD analog channels with an antenna too (for another month or so). What's your point? Actually, Dish doesn't charge for local HD channels. They charge for local SD channels, and will throw in the HD channels for free if they're available. Cox Cable does the same here in OKC, and probably around the country.

If you don't watch any SD, then effectively you're paying Dish for the EPG data so you can set your HD DVR.

You can get SD analog channels with an antenna too (for another month or so). What's your point? Actually, Dish doesn't charge for local HD channels. They charge for local SD channels, and will throw in the HD channels for free if they're available. Cox Cable does the same here in OKC, and probably around the country.

If you don't watch any SD, then effectively you're paying Dish for the EPG data so you can set your HD DVR.

So I can get my locals in HD for free from Dish?

NO, if available, you can get a Locals package that includes SD channels - and depending on the market - HD channels in that package, but it is not free. You have to subscribe to the package.

So they are charging a fee for what I can pickup for free with my antenna.

Will there always be a fee for HD channels? Or will someone eventually decide to offer them for free. Does is cost the satellite companies or cable providers more money to distribute HD channels compared to SD channels?

So they are charging a fee for what I can pickup for free with my antenna.

Will there always be a fee for HD channels? Or will someone eventually decide to offer them for free. Does is cost the satellite companies or cable providers more money to distribute HD channels compared to SD channels?
Again, they aren't charging you for (just) the HD channels. They're charging for all the local channels they offer.

Why are you surprised? Cable companies have been doing this for decades. People pay for the privilege of removing their rooftop antennas and still having a clear picture.

And to an extent, it does cost the satellite and cable companies more to carry the digital channels. Those costs are negotiated between the carriers and the station owners.

Again, they aren't charging you for (just) the HD channels. They're charging for all the local channels they offer.

And to an extent, it does cost the satellite and cable companies more to carry the digital channels. Those costs are negotiated between the carriers and the station owners.

I am confused. I do not have any HD packages because I am under the impression they cost significantly more. I am paying $5 to get local channels(ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX along with 2 other channels here in GB, WI). I believe I am getting them in SD, not HD. Therefore, I am paying money to get a lower quality picture.

So when you say they are charging for all the local channels they offer those are the channels you mean, correct?

How much extra does it cost to get those channels in HD?

And they have to recoup a little bit of the cost of picking up the local channels in your area, sending them via fiber to the uplink and up to the satellite. I bet in some areas they don't even break even on locals.

hd locals are not part of a turbo hd package or an hd-add on. its simple. you pay 5 dollars for your local channels. your local channels consist of sd and the hd where avail. for instance, if one lives in new york city, he gets his nyc locals in sd and hd for 5.00 more. if someone lives in an area where dish does not have their lcoals in hd, they too pay 5.00 a month for locals. dish was charging 5.00 a month for locals before they offered hd locals. so there for, you are not paying for something your not getting. in fact, those who get hd locals are getting something for no extra cost. and since dish waived the hd enabling fee, this even proves the point more.

I am confused. I do not have any HD packages because I am under the impression they cost significantly more. I am paying $5 to get local channels(ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX along with 2 other channels here in GB, WI). I believe I am getting them in SD, not HD. Therefore, I am paying money to get a lower quality picture.

So when you say they are charging for all the local channels they offer those are the channels you mean, correct?

How much extra does it cost to get those channels in HD?

Follow along F.R.E.E

Could you direct me to some threads about "moving"? HD locals are available 30 miles up the road in the next town but not at my physical address...very interested in "moving".

It is not just DISH. Sarasota, FL ABC station is only allowed to produce a 10 degree wide spot beam due west from their antennae. You can not receive a signal OTA from a location 2 miles south of the antennae.

Could you direct me to some threads about "moving"? HD locals are available 30 miles up the road in the next town but not at my physical address...very interested in "moving".
"Moving" refers to changing your service address but keeping your billing address. You should check to make sure that you receive the TP or spotbeam that the "new" local channels are on first BEFORE changing your service address. Go to TheList for sat and TP lists for the channels in question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)