Why can't you have locals that have HD, when your's don't?

OK, so they are on the same sattelite as mine....just say I am moving to a summer rental and my friend is going to set it up for me?

OK, so they are on the same sattelite as mine....just say I am moving to a summer rental and my friend is going to set it up for me?

Easier than that... use TheList link in my signature. On 110 and 129 there are also viewable spotbeam maps for coverage areas. Make sure you can get a signal off of that transponder on your point dish screen. Find a valid residential address. Add 1 number to it, make sure the address qualifies using the DishNetwork.com local channels page.

Pull up the online chat, tell them you moved temporarily for a job, and need to change your service address to get your local channels. Tell them to leave the billing address as is. Tell them you already have the receiver hooked up to the dish and you are watching it as you type and everything is working 100% except for the local channels. In a few minutes you'll be done.

I'm not sure why the Satellite companies charge for HD on locals when you can get them free with an antenna. When will the day come that they do NOT charge for what you can get for free?

Dish, in many cases, does not get the right to retransmit your locals "for free." The better question is this: when will Congress and FCC prohibit local stations from charging cable, sat, et al. for what the broadcasters got "for free"?: the public airwaves (broadcast channels) still owned by the American taxpayer. They should be auctioned off, then broadcasters would have the moral ground to charge for retransmission and the U.S. Government gets out of the role of censor.

hd locals are not part of a turbo hd package or an hd-add on. its simple. you pay 5 dollars for your local channels. your local channels consist of sd and the hd where avail. for instance, if one lives in new york city, he gets his nyc locals in sd and hd for 5.00 more. if someone lives in an area where dish does not have their lcoals in hd, they too pay 5.00 a month for locals. dish was charging 5.00 a month for locals before they offered hd locals. so there for, you are not paying for something your not getting. in fact, those who get hd locals are getting something for no extra cost. and since dish waived the hd enabling fee, this even proves the point more.

So I may be receiving some locals in HD? If I am I didn't even notice. Is there anyway to tell for sure? I live in Green Bay, WI

Dish, in many cases, does not get the right to retransmit your locals "for free." The better question is this: when will Congress and FCC prohibit local stations from charging cable, sat, et al. for what the broadcasters got "for free"?: the public airwaves (broadcast channels) still owned by the American taxpayer. They should be auctioned off, then broadcasters would have the moral ground to charge for retransmission and the U.S. Government gets out of the role of censor.

Off subject, but you know what I think is funny? The NAB won't allow sat cos to sell you out of market locals, and forces the same sat cos to pay for rebroadcast of in market locals, but they're soooooo pi$$ed off now about the record cos wanting to charge a performance tax to the radio stations for playing their music that the NAB has set up a website to fight it... seems a little hippocritical to me????

The NAB will take all the $$ they can get for what's already free, but doesn't want to pay any $$ out...... [/rant] :)

OK, back to topic :)

So I may be receiving some locals in HD? If I am I didn't even notice. Is there anyway to tell for sure? I live in Green Bay, WI
ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX Green Bay HD locals are on the 61.5 satellite, transponder 13, channels 5160-5163. You must have an MPEG-4 receiver and a dish pointed at 61.5 to get your HD locals.

ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX Green Bay HD locals are on the 61.5 satellite, transponder 13, channels 5160-5163. You must have an MPEG-4 receiver and a dish pointed at 61.5 to get your HD locals.

Thank you. I was not able to find 5160-5163 but did find locals on channels 9330-9336. Are those HD channels?

I must not have an HD receiver. I suppose they should have given me one when I signed up last year. Now I need to sign another two year agreement if I want my locals in HD.

even if you do have an mpeg4 receiver, you must have a dish pointed at the correct satellite to see the channels. the hd locals work like the regular hd channels. you will see two virtual channels right next to each other on the mapdown, one labled hd, one not. then you will see the actual channels in the 6000-8000 range.

i think the NAB is a mafia of broadcasters. i do not see how they can protect imports of channels to an area that their broadcasters fail to even reach. if they want to protect their turf so much, then they need to have their signal reaching the turf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)