NHL Network In SD

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Is there any chance Dish will ever have the NHL Network on in SD? I can't afford to go out and buy a HDTV. And Dish told me if I upgrade to a HD receiver but don't have a HDTV the installers won't install it for me. Any thoughts on if it'll EVER be on in SD?

:mad:

And Dish told me if I upgrade to a HD receiver but don't have a HDTV the installers won't install it for me.

Wow - Taking that at face value (that they refuse to install a VIP receiver on a non HDTV) that really puts a different spin on it. You could always purchase one directly and "install" it yourself

Assuming of course that you don't need/already have the dishes pointing at 61.5/129

I e-mailed Matt Kliewer of Dish about this and was told in his reply:

We have gotten a lot of requests regarding this channel and I will forward your email to our programming department.

Hopefully something will come of it. It's total crap that it isn't offered in SD. I have friends with cable and with DirecTV who get it in SD.

Is there any chance Dish will ever have the NHL Network on in SD? I can't afford to go out and buy a HDTV. And Dish told me if I upgrade to a HD receiver but don't have a HDTV the installers won't install it for me. Any thoughts on if it'll EVER be on in SD?

That is really not cost-effective for you. An extra $20/month for HD when you will not get HD. LCD's have gotten very cheap, especially around the holidays and on auction sites (ebay-ubids). Depending on your present tv size, 20-26" are not much more than the money you probably paid for the CRT tv you have now when you originally purchased it. I have seen them in the $300-500 range. This way you can get the HD channels as well as the HD experience!

I think Dish putting it in HD and not SD is one of the dumbest things they've ever done, especially when D* has it in SD. Why would they do such a thing?

especially since NHL Center Ice subs cannot see Edmonton/Vancouver tonight b/c it is on the NHL network only and not in CI. Those with SD only cannot see the game, total crap!

especially since NHL Center Ice subs cannot see Edmonton/Vancouver tonight b/c it is on the NHL network only and not in CI. Those with SD only cannot see the game, total crap!

Yeah every game NHL Network covers, they don't show it on CI. What a bunch of crap! Everybody who wants NHL Network in SD, PLEASE email Dish and tell them your displeasures!

I'm really upset about this. I pay for Center Ice to see all the games and now I don't get to because of this stupidity of only having NHL Network in HD? Crap, crap, crap!

Here's the response I got when asking about NHL Network in SD...

Thank you for your e-mail. Specific information regarding your request for NHL Network in SD is not currently available. We would like to add that channel, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know if or when this will happen. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.
We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.

Same for me. They use a form letter and make a few changes to it. They think that you will not see thru that. The only way you'll find out what is going on is if you know some at Dish that "in the know". Otherwise, we'll just wait. This is the dumbest, hairbrained thing Dish has ever done!!!!!:what

This is not true last Thursday I was upgraded to a VIP211 and I don't have a HD TV yet.
I also can see all the HD channels including the NHL network.
The NHL Network is both included with CI and as a sport package.

You say Dish installed an HD receiver (or DVR) at your house and you only have a SD television? If that's the case, I'll order an HD receiver from them. Please let me know if this is so.

You say Dish installed an HD receiver (or DVR) at your house and you only have a SD television? If that's the case, I'll order an HD receiver from them. Please let me know if this is so.
Your SD tv should be able to receive the signal as there is a RCA output for TV 1 and you can have it modulate TV 1 & 2 on the 722. With that, all of your HD stuff would be downconverted to SD, but you would still get it (if you pay the $20 per month for HD Programming). If not, then a $6 HD enabling fee applies (but this would not allow for the NHL Network, so the $20 would be the amount).

As for the Coax modulation, it can be done on a 722, as I have it done at our house.

Geoff

That is NOT TRUE..Not even close. I have connected HD receivers to SD tv's before many times. The reasons are many. One is the customer was doing the upgrade in stages. Not everyone can afford to run out and buy an HD set. So they get the upgrade and later on, get the tv. No big deal. I cannot believe a representative form Dish would rtell you that Bull crap.

I e-mailed Matt Kliewer of Dish about this and was told in his reply:

Hopefully something will come of it. It's total crap that it isn't offered in SD. I have friends with cable and with DirecTV who get it in SD.
I know people that have cable and they get it in SD..It's horsehit that we SD subs cannot get this channel.

This is really true but as of today I should have a 42" plasma TV.
Should come this afternoon.

The CSR who took my upgrade order told me the same BS about not being able to see the HD channels but I can see them.Not in HD of course but I was watching the Red Wings the other day and the NHL network feed was sharper than the FSN Detroit feed.

Again tonight (11/21) the Devils @ Penguins game is not available on NHLCI because it is on the NHL Network. If you don't have HD on Dish you are out of luck. This thing with Dish and the NHL Network sucks!!!

Does anyone know someone that works for Dish that I could contact (this site, e-mail, phone, whatever) that might have some inside information as to whether Dish EVER plans to add this channel in SD? I'd sure appreciate it. I'm sick of e-mailing Dish from their web site and all I get is some form letter that they send everyone!! I'd appreciate all the help I can get in order to get this channel in SD. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)