Status
Not open for further replies.

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
I don't know who's fault it is, the NHL or ESPN, but I think it was a huge mistake not to have the game live on US TV. Yeah, it's going to be on ESPN Classic a week later but that's not the same. This is such a unique event, not only for it being outdoors but also for having the alumni game where all the great Oilers & Canadiens stars of the past will be there. This would've been the perfect opportunity for casual sports fans in the US to see hockey get back to it's roots.

It is on HDNet also the NHL Mega Stars Game starting at 6PM EST.
:D

for more about it check http://www.hd.net/

With the Heritage Classic being such a smashing success, I say why not expand it even further? There has been talk about having the Classic in other Canadian cities every year, but why stop there? This is a perfect way for the NHL to show off to the world what a great sport hockey is. And what better way than to have the NHL All-Star game played outdoors in a festival celebrating the roots of hockey?

This could be turned into a winter weekend celebration by the host city, having a mini-Olympic festival with the highlight being the All-Star game. Most of the all-star games of every professional league are boring affairs that don't generate too much excitement any more. This is a way for the NHL to showcase its product and in the process attract new fans to the sport.

The Young Stars game and an Alumni game featuring the all-stars of the past could be played the day before outside. Meanwhile, the Skills Competition should still be played in an indoor arena so the weather won't affect the outcome that needs perfect climate conditions to be fair. But the actual 3 games should be played outside as it will be a celebration of the roots of hockey. Back in the late 1800s early 1900s, hockey was a sport played outside, just like football and baseball. That was the glamor of the sport. With hockey desperately hoping to get the big televison money enjoyed by the other major league sports, the NHL has to find creative ways to draw more fans into the game. This could be the answer.

Edmonton showed how much excitement could be generated for an outdoor classic. Over 57,000 braved the zero degree temperatures to watch the old timers game between the Canadiens and Oilers, which was followed by a game by the current two teams.

The NHL could hold the All-Star outdoor classic in huge stadiums in the northern part of the United States, along with a few out west that are have facilities in mountain areas. California could have the game at Squall Valley, where the 1960 Winter Olympics were held. There is also Salt Lake City, which had the last Winter Olympics and Denver.

That was a great afternoon and evening of hockey! (It helped with the Leafs beating the Canucks on the late game!) My uncle lives in Edmonton, and was at the game. He told me he had the best time. The cold wasn't even an issue. Keep in mind, Edmontonians are very used to this weather, sort of like Green Bay fans for football.

John, you have some very good ideas on the All-Star weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts