NHL Preseason blackouts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rangers4me

Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Rangers play the Senators tomorrow night. I am outside of the NY market, but subscribe to the multi-sport pack and will buy center ice once the season starts.

I tried to set the game on my DVR but it says that the game is blacked out in my market. Why is this? When I had DirecTV in the past, I was always able to get all the out of market preseason hockey games.

If I subscribe to center ice, will I get the game?

The game should be blacked out if you are not in the NY dma. The NHL did allow many of the preseason games viewed out of market after the strike a couple of years ago, but I don't think that they were available last year, you might want to check the replay. If it is blacked out on the MultiSports pack you should get it with the NHL CI, plus there is usually a discount if ordered in the preseason.

A couple of season ago Dish showed all the preseason games, but went back to blacking them out...Darren, is this game isn't blacked-out on Directv is it?

Hard to say to be honest. In the past Direct has not blacked out anything except live regular season and playoff games. I wont be able to tell because with D I have moved to NYC as their locals are Conus for DNS. To be truthful I am very excited about tomorrow's Rangers preseason game. This will be the first time I get to see the Rangers coveged by MSG in HD... the primary reason I switched to Direct.

previously i was with directv - i'm a ranger fan in chicago - the previous seasons it seemed as though the first preseason game was blacked out on msg- i would call directv complain and eventually it'd be on. Last year same problem, but this time they also blacked out the Ranger season preview show - i was livid - i emailed everyone - NHL, MSG, the Rangers and of course directv. I got a call from a gentleman at the NHL offices - and he told me they shouldn't be blacked out. then i was able to get the preseason games and the preview show. However, in october i switched to dish because i wanted both home/away feeds on CI (tho i believe directv showed both feeds last year!)

so this year, i wasn't about to wait till the preseason started. I already have been corresponding with my nhl contact. the nhl first response was that these games should be on. i later received dish's response and they said they only black out what the nhl tells them. as of now, i'm waiting to hear back from the nhl once again on these blacked out preseason games. hopefully they'll be showed.

it's like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. obviously i'll post when i hear something more...

FYI for ranger fans - received this, in part from Dish too ...At this time we are aware that there are currently five preseason games scheduled on NHL Network: 9/23, 9/27, 9/30, 10/1 and 10/5. Some of these games are Ranger games.

Keep us updated on what you hear eddieras..I emailed everybody I knew a few years ago when Dish was blacking-out preseason games and all of a sudden they lifted them..Last year I was going to do the same thing but I signed up for the free preview of NHL Center Ice online for the preseason games and didn't worry about it..This year I don't see any info on NHL Center Ice online and I really want to watch some preseason hockey!! These games should NOT be blacked-out!! :mad:

The game should be blacked out if you are not in the NY dma. The NHL did allow many of the preseason games viewed out of market after the strike a couple of years ago, but I don't think that they were available last year, you might want to check the replay. If it is blacked out on the MultiSports pack you should get it with the NHL CI, plus there is usually a discount if ordered in the preseason.

I was at my son's house last night whom has D*, and the Rangers game was there on both feeds, sd and hd. The hd pq was quite good, and sd pq reminded me of the crap E* gave us last year for the sabres games. I guess it is time to draw a line in the sand for E* to have the msg's channels, otherwise I will be at D* at the first of the month, before their free hd-dvr package expires.

I was at my son's house last night whom has D*, and the Rangers game was there on both feeds, sd and hd. The hd pq was quite good, and sd pq reminded me of the crap E* gave us last year for the sabres games. I guess it is time to draw a line in the sand for E* to have the msg's channels, otherwise I will be at D* at the first of the month, before their free hd-dvr package expires.

your son is in the Ranger DMA? the game was blacked out here in chicago - tho rangers in 60 was on.

also when you guys refer to MSG HD on Directv- is that available nationwide and as a CI subscriber would you then get the rangers game in HD?

the killer is i switched to dish last season just to get home/away feeds- i love Sam and can't stand some other teams broadcasters. then of course directv starts carrying both feeds-right when i switch to dish! now if they also have the rangers games in HD i'll really start kicking myself!

btw- i was told by the NHL last week that these games should NOT be blacked out. Also, they were showed last year on Directv.
we'll see what i hear back given last nites blackout... and i'll let you all know.

your son is in the Ranger DMA? the game was blacked out here in chicago - tho rangers in 60 was on.

also when you guys refer to MSG HD on Directv- is that available nationwide and as a CI subscriber would you then get the rangers game in HD?

the killer is i switched to dish last season just to get home/away feeds- i love Sam and can't stand some other teams broadcasters. then of course directv starts carrying both feeds-right when i switch to dish! now if they also have the rangers games in HD i'll really start kicking myself!

btw- i was told by the NHL last week that these games should NOT be blacked out. Also, they were showed last year on Directv.
we'll see what i hear back given last nites blackout... and i'll let you all know.

My son lives in buffalo, and the rangers are in our dma and not blacked out as long as buffalo isn't playing. However I have dish and it was supposedly blacked on dish, but not D*

Rangers4Me: You used to be able to "move" to NYC to get all the games without center ice. This is what I did to get the games. Unfortunately NYC locals are now spotbeam on E.

The Rangers do not have any games on "local" channels. They are all on MSG, which is not spotbeamed.

i was going to 'move' too- but do i understand correctly that the actual local networks for NYC are spotbeamed? and of course the means i wouldn't get them in chicago?

I went round and round and round and round with DISH & the NHL last year. Dish told me to contact the NHL, which told me what eddieras was told, that they shouldn't be blacking them out. I got back with Dish, ended up talking to an "event services" supervisor and he told me that Dish actually gets a list from the RSN's that tell them to black out all out of market gams, except for _______. I contacted FSN-NY (now MSG+) and they told me that their blackout list just listed "all live NHL games." They told me they could submit a new blackout list, but it would take 7-10 business days. So I just left it as is, since it didn't matter too much to me, my beloved Kings never show preseason games. Just a little FYI... YMMV.http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=85679

I have Dish and my dad has Directv. He gets the Pre-Season games, and I don't. How does that work? Also, he lives 5 blocks away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts