Night reboot

As I said above, a 3:30 reboot could really effect people in the Pacfic time zone. If they wanted to watch any program that started at 6:30 in the eastern time zone, that's when the rboot would occur.

I am in Connecticut and the daily update is the same time, 1:30AM. If the update time is 1:30 for all time zones, I think that 3:30 would be a better time for most. (However, as I said previously, it still would be a problem for some; I really can't understand why the engineers can not make the simple change to to allow us to choose the update time).

Do you think Dish is pushing out nitely reboots four different times, one for each time zone? So that way all four zones it happens at 1:30 AM local time, except for those areas that don't change time for day lite savings. Are Mountain and Pacific time zone reboots around 1:30 AM local too? If so, would 3:30 reboots affect Pacific time zone folks watching Eastern time zone programs? If not, maybe 3:30 AM reboots might be better.

Well...charlesrshell is in the CST time zone and I am in the EST time zone and we both have the updates at 1:30AM. This leads me to believe that all zones update at 1:30 by their own time standard. Can someone on the West coast comment on what time your nightly update is?

Since it's 1:30 am no matter where you live, it's programmed into the Hopper itself. So, most probably, it's the receiver phoning home to see what's new. The receiver initiates the process, not Dish. In order for Dish to call the receivers instead and only start a reboot if there is new software, it would take a major rewrite of software and most probably a huge expense to up grad Dish's computer system. I'd rather Dish spend it's resources on other things to make the system better. Like being able to decide when we want the receiver to phone home. These are only my thoughts.

Since it's 1:30 am no matter where you live, it's programmed into the Hopper itself. So, most probably, it's the receiver phoning home to see what's new. The receiver initiates the process, not Dish. In order for Dish to call the receivers instead and only start a reboot if there is new software, it would take a major rewrite of software and most probably a huge expense to up grad Dish's computer system. I'd rather Dish spend it's resources on other things to make the system better. Like being able to decide when we want the receiver to phone home. These are only my thoughts.

Good point, I bet you are correct, the receiver initiates the process. That makes more sense. I wish folks that troll this Forum and know the answers to our questions would post the answers. I swear, we guys.us spend lotsa time trying to figure out things when there is surely someone that knows the answers and won't let us know for some reason.

Remember there has been an improvement or two. The guide update will can take place at almost any time now as long as nothing is scheduled and Hopper has been inactive. Mine tonight was at a little before 1:30 (MDT in my case FWIW) and it reloaded but I have seen lots of other times and even during the day IIRC. Then it wanted to check the EHDs and said 110 minutes for the 3 plugged in. So far as I know it never really fixes anything, so I canceled that and it started another round of guide update and reload. I've had it do that 3 or more times in a night. The important point is that they may have decoupled guide updating from rebooting to get "clean" memory. The other point is that the (un-EHD) update has been shorted. Probably largely due to the faster processor, especially in the HwS. Why don't they not only let us set a preferred time but also initiate it by command. The manual reset in "Yellow>Diagnostics>Reset Receiver" is close to that.
-Ken

I'm honored that Peggy mentioned me on here. As far as the "fix" goes. It requires something that isn't scheduled by design to be "fixed". This is not a big, but it is something that is done intentionally. With the former recievers, people were not letting it update. Then mad because the guide was not up to date. Dish took this ability away with the hopper. My point is, if not satisfied with the product, do not use the product. But this is how dish has designed this specific peice of equipment. It may change in the future. I have heard through the grapevine that it is likely to change in the near future, however, as it stands currently, the 2-5 minute update isn't enough for me to hate the equipment. And yes, 130 is a primary time I'm watching tv. I get the frustration, but that just makes it time to do something else. My viewing experience does not hinge on this feature, and it only updates once per day. I am not someone that gets mad when something goes against dish, I just think there are better things to really discuss, such as the dish anywhere user experience. The codec is just fine with the hopper.

:rolleyes:

Based on your reply, I would guess that you have spent no time managing systems or networks. I have about 25+ years of relevant experience to the topic.

:rolleyes:

Based on your reply, I would guess that you have spent no time managing systems or networks. I have about 25+ years of relevant experience to the topic.

Your points may be valid, but they won't accomplish anything.
This is the way Dish wants to do their updates and we can love it or leave it (of course, they'll be quick to point out if you have an ETF.)
And the blunt truth is they really don't care how much any of us may be an expert concerning a particular subject.
I'm not trashing you, because believe me, they're are other things they do that make me say WTF.

Your points may be valid, but they won't accomplish anything.
This is the way Dish wants to do their updates and we can love it or leave it (of course, they'll be quick to point out if you have an ETF.)
And the blunt truth is they really don't care how much any of us may be an expert concerning a particular subject.
I'm not trashing you, because believe me, they're are other things they do that make me say WTF.

I don't have an ETF anymore.

Can you imagine what would happen if all the other Dish dvr boxes were forced to update at 1:30 as well? Just don't understand why I can no longer set a recording from 1:30-3:30 & have the update/reboot happen when I'm not watching. It worked fine that way for the past year, updates still got done, no problem for anyone.

As concluded before, the update won't happen if a recording is going. It waits until nothing is recording. What has changed is instead of waiting until a recording was no longer active and then asking to update, it now goes ahead and asks no matter what. If you're recording, all you accomplish from allowing it to update is shutting yourself out from watching any further live TV. The good part is if you tell it 'Yes', you're guaranteed an update but this won't happen until your recordings are finished. The bad part is in the meantime, you get a screensaver over your live TV. What I've been doing lately is allowing the update when it pops up no matter if I'm recording or not. It usually is a situation where I only had 2 more minutes left on my recording anyway. My receiver then goes into standby mode, so I go to the living room HWS to view the other HWS to check on what recordings I have going. I also can remotely access the now powered down Hopper to stop any other recordings I have. I have plotted in advance what I have recording for their time frames so I can predict when my recordings will be finished (since I'm effectively shut out from viewing the actual receiver unless I want to disrupt the update). Normally if all goes well the Hopper will power down the instant my recording stops and I can check on its progress via the other HWS. All this hassle for a process which takes only a few minutes. It's inconvenient.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is that for the past year I've been able to avoid the 1:30 update message by setting a timer, & the update would happen afterwards - the last software update changed that & it pops up the message no matter what, but still doesn't update/reboot till the recording is completed. Why have the message, it's not doing anything if there's a recording. The system should be smart enough to know it has a recording in progress & not show a message till it's finished, which is the way it was working before 342.

What I don't understand is that for the past year I've been able to avoid the 1:30 update message by setting a timer, & the update would happen afterwards - the last software update changed that & it pops up the message no matter what, but still doesn't update/reboot till the recording is completed. Why have the message, it's not doing anything if there's a recording. The system should be smart enough to know it has a recording in progress & not show a message till it's finished, which is the way it was working before 342.
That's exactly right. It's stupid to ask to update since it's not going to update until the recording is finished anyway. I'm not saying that I wish it would reset, and break my recording either -- I don't want that. The problem is that they should go back to where it won't pop up the update message until recordings are finished. I have no official confirmation on this but I suspect this is an attempt to try to make sure everyone gets the nightly updates and is mainly a method to counteract those who purposely have been setting recording timers specifically from 1-6 a.m. so that no updates could get through. If people want to do that, then that's on them. If Dish wants to try to intervene they need to find a better way so that those of us who do watch and record TV for awhile in the early a.m. hours don't have to suffer.

Last edited:
The updates did get through, just not at 1:30, so what's the harm? Other than some audio issues, it's the only real frustration I've had with the system, & overall my Hoppers have worked better than a lot of others. Would do a lot of good toward some positive public relations if Dish would just go back to the previous way of letting those of us who want to temporarily avoid the time setting for the update. As it is, their lack of response (or logical explanation) makes it impossible to recommend their service to anyone I value as a friend.

Also depending on whom you end up speaking to if you do call to provide some feedback concerning the nightly update changes, they almost seem as if they try to make you feel bad for wanting to watch and record TV in the early a.m. hours. I'm not doing it intentionally to interfere with the update, it just so happens that is when there are shows I want to watch and that is the times they are on. Certain shows are only aired once in the early morning hours as well as some movies. It gets to where I get discouraged if something I really want to see falls during the update hours. Every weekday, it always seems I'm watching or recording something on Disney XD at 1 a.m. and then Clubland on MTV from 2-3 a.m. (when it's on), followed by the half-hour of programming from 3-3:30 on Adult Swim. Then factor in whatever movies I record. The update has a better chance during weekends even though I often watch WWE Raw and WWE Smackdown rebroadcast on Universal HD into the early a.m. as well as assorted shows on Toonami, I'm not recording it and I don't mind allowing an update to power down if I'll be back online within minutes. Despite this, I know a good time I could set a daily timer if we had the option to do so. I upgraded to HWS from having a ViP 722K receiver, so losing control of updates is a big deal to me. It's only made worse by how the updates behave. The update doesn't always ask at the same time consistently so you can plan for it. Also what's frustrating is, unless I'm present to witness it reset, the fact that the HWS goes to standby mode and is downloading the Guide doesn't necessarily mean it updated. There's no confirmation to let me know it happened. I've let it idle on standby many times for over an hour to several hours, only to have it ask to update when I decide to start watching TV again. I recommend that a message be added to the screensaver along with Guide updated to 100% along the lines of "Update completed" or something similar as well as some acknowledgement provided in the DVR itself which can be checked later, a great place would be in the Daily Schedule.

Last edited:
You & I are definitely on the same page regarding this - the reason so many have been so upset is that they upgraded from 722's & had no idea they would not be able to adjust the update time (same for the font size on screen) - both features customers have been asking for, over & over for over 2 years. Just give us a good reason why older dvr's can & Hoppers can't.

Costs to much money when stupid customers call in because they didn't let their reciever update. Beleive it or not, it is cheaper to let the people who get mad over this leave, than have the people who can't figure it out call in. You should have seen how many people called in for their 625 or 722 not updating, you go in, and the time had been changed, and they just didn't allow it to update. I think dish is controlling this for a very specific reason, and are considering the amount of money saved, which is significant. Over $100k per month. When they took the capability for the advanced tech department to call you back, that also saved them $150k per month. So you can get mad at it. But until they see the trend affecting bottom dollar, it will not change.

Chad, you just don't get it - NO ONE is asking for the update to go away, it's obvious Dish thinks there's some reason to have it. We just want to have it make sense.

If it's not going to update/reboot until AFTER I finish my recording or live tv watching, why irritate me with a useless message every hour? Wait until I'm done & then update/reboot, everyone can live with that & there will be no more upset customers. It won't affect customer service calls, it won't affect the bottom dollar. But if Dish would rather have me leave when my contract is up, so be it.

Pretty stupid way of running a business, IMHO, especially when positive public relations (word of mouth referrals) seems to be what they strive for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts