Night reboot

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
United States
I know in the past if you were recording something the nightly reboot would wait until the recording ended but last night it asked twice to reboot during recordings. ..

Has this happened to anyone else and if so were the recordings messed up ???

Yes, it happens to me all the time. I really wish Dish would let us set the time for updates like they did on the 622/722 series receivers. There have been other threads on this issue, but I don't think that fixing it is a priority for Dish.

Yes, it happens to me all the time. I really wish Dish would let us set the time for updates like they did on the 622/722 series receivers. There have been other threads on this issue, but I don't think that fixing it is a priority for Dish.

Maybe the software guys dont think it is broken. Maybe?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If they don't think that needing a daily reboot is fundamentally broken, there's no hope for them.

Question, do you see it break recordings if you do not answer the reboot question?

If not, then no foul.

My problems are mostly with the EHD. (Because I'm trying to reorganize and it hangs up on many transfers.)

Yes and how 'cum my Mac needs a reboot only when there is a major system software update.
(I know, proper memory allocation and protection.)

-Ken

Ever since the S342 update this has been frustrating me because it used to wait until you weren't recording before asking. I haven't had it reboot on me and ruin a recording so far if I wasn't around to tell it 'No' but I have caught both Hoppers on standby mode many times in the early a.m. hours when they had recordings going. What is inconsiderate about the changed update procedure is if you're watching television while recording. Telling it 'Yes' to allow an update won't disrupt the recording but it instantly puts the receiver into standby mode which throws a screensaver over your picture. Now how are you supposed to watch TV? The only way to return is to press Select. From what I've observed, it still waits until nothing is recording before it updates. (The Guide also won't update if there is an active recording). Therefore, requesting an update during a recording is pointless. If you tell it 'No' the message will go away only to return and pester you every hour and half hour up until the last opportunity. It's difficult to plan any openings for an update because the intervals do not come at even times: It could ask at 1:15 a.m. and then next reappear at 1:45. For a few weeks mine used to always ask at 1:15 but now it hasn't even began to ask until much later. I purposely try to have windows of an hour to a half hour between shows, which is more than enough time but then it never asks when it's convenient. It wants to update when I don't want it to and when I want it to, it doesn't want to.

Last edited:
Exactly the same experience (& frustration) on my HWS. Why the update message if the hopper isn't going to reboot, isn't that a requirement of the nightly update? Seems like a useless message.

Exactly the same experience (& frustration) on my HWS. Why the update message if the hopper isn't going to reboot, isn't that a requirement of the nightly update? Seems like a useless message.
Exactly. If you comply to its demands and allow the update, if you have a recording active you're just wasting your time. All you've accomplished is prevented yourself from watching TV. It won't update until recordings are done. You could have been still watching TV. If you press Select to watch TV, you have effectively cancelled the process. The message will reappear to bother you later. It's pathetic that a process that usually only takes minutes therefore can proceed to annoy you for hours. If you happen to get the update message, and you're not recording anything, and you tell it 'Yes', it resets itself and you will hear a series of electronic noises. It comes back quickly on standby mode and then it may download the Guide. What I wish would happen at this stage is a new message confirming that the nightly update was successful would appear. There's nothing unique in standby mode since this can be done manually at all hours of the day. Even if it would just appear as an additional status in the Daily Schedule would be fine. Even when I have observed that it has done the update, it doesn't seem to act as if it has done anything. I have been missing artwork for several shows and movies all of this week on mine, whereas the living room has everything current.

Is it only hws that say they will update but they don't? Is Hopper doing the same? Are they rebooting for anyone? I woke up in the early hours this morning and both of the boxes in this room powered on and sounded like they were rebooting.

If the guide is now updating at all times in the background, why does the Hopper need to reboot every night anyway.

There still shouldn't be anything going on that requires a reboot every day.

What part of this aren't people understanding?

My guess is that there are a couple of reasons. Like a computer, which it is, it clears out the memory. Also it is easier to have the receiver check for software updates than have Dish tell the receiver it needs to reboot for a software update. Maybe DIRT can get the answer from engineering.

Well it's not checking for updates at the 1:30 nightly - none of the last few updates on either of my HWS were downloaded at that time, both were closer to 11 pm & midnight, interrupting my normal tv watching. Turned on tv & system was in process (for 20 minutes or more) on the 342 one.

Got a negative response from someone on the Dish forum about "still complaining", as he said the nightly reboots are the way Dish wants it & it will never change, it really doesn't cause anyone a problem ("it's only for two minutes!"). Can't believe anyone in their right mind doesn't see that as an issue. Having your paid tv interrupted everynight, every hour, while you are trying to watch is a definite problem for those of us who stay up late. Especially when there's no need for it to be at 1:30.

If they don't think that needing a daily reboot is fundamentally broken, there's no hope for them.

I have been saying that for a while, but just kept my mouth shut because I got tired of people defending the practice of nightly reboots.

They need to treat hopper like the server it is and not reboot nightly. That is a forced outage for all clients... If I had forced outages for server reboots daily I wouldn't be allowed to manage what I do for long and I wouldn't be employed.

I agree with you completely but I have been quiet about it for a long time.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Maybe the software guys dont think it is broken. Maybe?

Maybe the software guys need to be locked in a room watching a show and having their joey viewing disrupted because nobody said no to the reboot in the hopper they are linked to. I figure a couple of days of that being their full time job might get the message across. If not, they aren't the right people.

Question, do you see it break recordings if you do not answer the reboot question?

If not, then no foul.

I see you still act as an apologist for bad engineering practices.

Watch from a joey and have it drop the show you are watching because the linked hopper rebooted even though there's no software update to be applied.

The mechanisms for checking this are so rudimentary a *nix scripting beginner could handle the code in an afternoon.

Its a client/server model and all attached clients go down when the hopper does.

My problems are mostly with the EHD. (Because I'm trying to reorganize and it hangs up on many transfers.)

There are issues such as requiring double transfers to move between externals as well.

Yes and how 'cum my Mac needs a reboot only when there is a major system software update.
(I know, proper memory allocation and protection.)

Because they don't need to reboot for every update. Only when a kernel extension (kext) that can't be reloaded on the fly, or the kernel itself changes or (maybe) a service with too many dependencies is modified is a reboot mandated.

In short, its a member of the *nix family and the treat it like the robust operating system it is.

They also don't do major updates daily. Neither does dish. Hmmmm.

-Ken[/QUOTE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts