Night reboot

both features customers have been asking for, over & over for over 2 years. Just give us a good reason why older dvr's can & Hoppers can't.
Scott has already said that it would take a while to rework it since that nightly update is connected to more than one thing. This was over a year ago. It shouldn't be any surprise that there was going to be a long wait.

As to the user interface suggestions. We posted dozens if not hundreds of suggestions early on and I suspect that they've taken a backseat to Dish's endless new software features. Vivek did come out recently and say they are doing some work on the user interface, so there's some hope. It could still be a long wait.

I'm sure it will eventually change, it's just not cost effective right now. That's why you haven't seen a change in 2 years. And people can rant till their face turns blue, but it's not changing until dish is ready for it to.

I'm sure it will eventually change, it's just not cost effective right now. That's why you haven't seen a change in 2 years. And people can rant till their face turns blue, but it's not changing until dish is ready for it to.
I've also been told that they will eventually change it so users can set the update timer, but at the same time, there wasn't any need to change how it already worked. I would greatly appreciate if it would return to how it used to act before this latest software version update, where it waited until recordings are finished before asking for the nightly update. If they don't want to change that, then at least make it not require a screensaver when you allow it to update. It won't update until recording is finished, so I should be able to still watch TV up until then.

Last edited:
Maybe when the user hits the power button to turn the receiver off for the night it can prompt a message saying update will download and hopper will reboot when finished and then power off. It could also download and then power off.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Maybe when the user hits the power button to turn the receiver off for the night it can prompt a message saying update will download and hopper will reboot when finished and then power off. It could also download and then power off.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There are those that never power down for whatever reason.

I've also been told that they will eventually change it so users can set the update timer, but at the same time, there wasn't any need to change how it already worked. I would greatly appreciate if it would return to how it used to act before this latest software version update, where it waited until recordings are finished before asking for the nightly update. If they don't want to change that, then at least make it not require a screensaver when you allow it to update. It won't update until recording is finished, so I should be able to still watch TV up until then.

Exactly the way I feel - & no one here is on a "rant", we were told it would probably happen, would happen, etc. (by Dish staff) well over a year ago, & I think that's a pretty long time when it comes to software & electronics. If it's such a problem for Dish support staff, why not change the way the older dvr's can change their update time & avoid the problem altogether?