Nightly Update

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I have some questions about the nightly update. I have a 722K and I have mine set for 4:30 a.m. I know the default is 3 AM.

Anyways, let's say I'm recording a movie that starts at 4 a.m. and ends at 5:30 a.m.

Will the update interrupt that recording and cut it off? Or will it wait and run it at 5:30 a.m.?

What if I'm recording a lot of stuff during the course of the day. Will it ever run? Or just skip the entire day?

And what does it do exactly? Just download the latest program guide, run check disk, and download the latest software update if available?

Finally, should I consciously record around it? Like never record stuff that ends past 4:30 a.m. and never start recording stuff until after 4:30 a.m. has past? Or just don't worry about recording around it?

The nightly updates will keep your program guide information up to date and if a new software version is available, apply it. It will also update VOD and PPV information as well. If you have the update scheduled for 4:30am and a recording that goes through that time period the receiver will not update. The receiver needs to be powered off completely. This means no recordings or activity, otherwise the update is skipped and the receiver will try again the next day. You can avoid this by making sure there are no recordings that run through 4:30am. You can have a timer end at 4:30, but as I said if anything runs through that time the receiver will try again the next day.

I'm pretty sure it then updates shortly after the recording is over. And if the receiver is on it'll ask first. At least on the 622.

The nightly updates will keep your program guide information up to date and if a new software version is available, apply it. It will also update VOD and PPV information as well. If you have the update scheduled for 4:30am and a recording that goes through that time period the receiver will not update. The receiver needs to be powered off completely. This means no recordings or activity, otherwise the update is skipped and the receiver will try again the next day. You can avoid this by making sure there are no recordings that run through 4:30am. You can have a timer end at 4:30, but as I said if anything runs through that time the receiver will try again the next day.

Thanks, Raymond.

I have another question. If I have it set for 4:30 a.m. What's the soonest after 4:30 a.m. can I start recording another movie? I mean how long after 4:30 should I wait for? 5 minutes after 4:30? 10 minutes after 4:30? 15 minutes after 4:30?

I've changed and aborted my update time many times. If you are worried about missing a recording, change your update time or wait for a time of no activity so that you don't want to watch anything for about 5 minutes. Then go in to UPDATES and change the settings to the current time plus 2 minutes( as an example) then save it and turn off the tuners or wait. In two minutes it will update if OFF or ask you if you want to run the update, just say YES and YES to abort whatever is viewing on TV2.

Then you go do something else for 5 minutes unless there is a software version update. (Software updates may take upwards of 30 minutes) and it helps to turn off BOTH tuners.

5 minutes is about right for nightly updates.

Consider changing the update time to some time when you aren't likely to want to record something. If that is noon, sobeit.

The updates can take up to 15 minutes on a ViP622 as I recall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)