Nimiq 2 Signal Strength in Southern US

I will let you know within a day or two.... I have a Bell Expressvu receiver coming over. It's not subbed but I should still be able to get to the dish pointing screen.

clayface1000 said:
I ran out and bought the Invacom LNB today and just finished a session up on the roof. Not only did it not improve the signal, transponders 5 & 9 are now gone completely, no matter what LNB is in place. I guess Bell tweaked the signal away from the south a little more -- or should I say, they twisted the knife in a little deeper -- the past few days.

Oh well, it was worth a try. I now have a nice LNB for when I decide to go FTA at some point. Thanks for everyone's advice and input.

Keeps getting worse doesn't it. That's why I don't think even if I had a 10 foot, would I pick anything up. At some point, no signal means no signal.

Angiodan,
I agree. There is a threshold point where there is no usable signal, but I dont believe that you are in it that badly that a 4 or 6 footer would not help.

Clayface1000,
Do you have a good signal meter? when you put a new lnb on, you also need to re-tweak it sometimes. the feed horn may be different etc etc. I would advise taking a meter with that invacom LNB and aligning it perfectly. also use the IRD's menu if you dont have access to a stsandalone digital meter etc. I would find it very hard to believe that the signal got worser with an Invacom LNB. I have never seen that and i have tried it on every single satellite out there being on the fringe. It has always performed better...?

-B

HDTVFanatic,
I do use the invacopm lnb ;0 Im not sure what your intention was taking a poke there but ok.. ;0 When you are far enough out, even LNB's etc dont help as much as is needed. In my instance to get Nimiq1 and Nimiq2 reception (not nimiq3 or nimiq4i) i do in fact need an 8 footer sadly. Those cost about $2700 USD or more by the time it makes it out to me. I am sure you can understand my reluctance in buying one of those to give you the reasoning behind the post of mine that you refered to with your link...

What you are looking for is sheer efficiency and in my case raw gain when you are on the fringe. You need to offset for the signal loss due to not being in the footprint basically. All the LNB does is increase efficiency of the signal that is there on a dish by eliminating noise better than a cheap and standard echostar lnb... Those units have a horrid noise figure on them. (Standard Echostar LNB's)

-Bounty

Bountykiller said:
In my instance to get Nimiq1 and Nimiq2 reception (not nimiq3 or nimiq4i) i do in fact need an 8 footer sadly.

Bounty, the sat we are bitching about is the so called nimiq 4 (the old directv sat that they have borrowed). I don't have issues with the original Nimiq 1 and 2, and I'm sure others aren't either, it is the crappy old DTV birds that Evu is using.

I guess the thread should be titled "ALL Nimiq Sat signals at the 82 orbital location in the Southern Us"

Are you getting signals on the TP's in question from the 82 slot on the so called Nimiq4 with your 8 footer?

I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Well, I am not in the same location as you at all (not even close). For me i love the borrowed directv birds!!! ;0 I get them on the fringe at FULL strength. an 18 Inch dish would pick them up just fine and no other satellite is like that for me (i am not even in North america (and no not mexico or north of canada)... However, I do Not get signal easily from Nimiq1 and nimiq2 (i know full well what u guys are bitching about) I do get everything from Nimiq4i flawlessly. I took this measure a while back right after the addition of the borrowed satt.

I get 100% (totally burried even in rain etc) on 5,7,9,11,25,27,29,31,32
I get very little off the other bird (weakly at about 45-60%) 12,16,20,24,25,32 (not sure about 4)

I have however (in my instance only) confirmed that going up a dish size got everything (all be it still not at a decent level, but it did all come in) I am not new to this sort of issue by any means. As i said I have always needed a larger dish where i am for ANY DBS provider at all. I know first hand that those DSS satellites drop off SUPER quick on the fringe in comparison to other satellites. From what i understand, that was by design too. When that was at 101 i needed (not that i paid 10-12 k for one) a 12-16 footer to get signal off of DirectTV. So yes a larger dish will always work, but its a matter of just how large. There is a threshold point.. once you cross it life is ok, but it can be difficult in an instance such as this... I hope this is of use to you!? ;0 Also as an FYI a prime focus BUD is not an efficient dish. You need to tesat using a large offset dish. Center fed dishes have less gain and fiddly lnb setups/conversions that introduce loss into the equation, not to mention the mesh holes... ;0 Find someone with a very large offset dish to try this out on.

-B

Hey guys, does anyone have something more up to date than lyngsat to see whats at 82 right now and on what transponder?! Whats on Tr # 31 & 29?

-B

Last edited:
Bounty, I used an el cheapo meter, so you might be right about tweaking it with the receiver. However, I did not notice that transponders 5 & 9 were already gone by the time got the Invacom. Even with the crummy meter, I could get no signal at all, whereas even a few days ago, it was coming around 40.

So while I'm sure you're right and I could do a better job of peaking the signal, I believe overall it's sunk below usable levels given my 90 cm dish, no matter what I do.

I'd be be very curious if anyone else in Southern California is currently getting any signal at all on transponders 5, 9, 25 or 27. If so, I might be willing to run some power up to the roof and schlep all my gear up there -- a real pain! Otherwise, I think I'll give up for now.

clayface1000 said:
I'd be be very curious if anyone else in Southern California is currently getting any signal at all on transponders 5, 9, 25 or 27.

I just find it strange that 27 is a problem for the SE USA, California and even Seattle - see here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7661353&&#post7661353

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the patterns should be consistent for Conus operation among the transponders. As I am having trouble with 7 and 11, you are having issues with 5 and 9.

While have a problem on 31 you have a problem on 25.

But then there is 27.

If I had a list of 4 and you had a totally different list of 4, that would make some sense - but 27 is a real head scratcher that muddies the water, imo.

Well, I don't get 7 or 11 either, in addition to zip on 27. The reason I mentioned 5, 9, 25 and 29, was that they were providing marginal signals into Southern California shortly after the switch a few weeks back. I read on another forum that reception was possible using a 90 cm dish, so I went out and bought one. This brought temporary relief until recently. The other transponders you mentioned -- 7, 11 and 27 -- were completely gone from the outset, so I never even thought receiving them was remotely possible.

Here's the strengths I got with the 90cm and the QPH-031 on a Bell ExpressVu receiver:

1-70
2-71
3-70
4-76
5-90
6-dead
7-83
8-68
9-91
10-dead
11-85
12-71
13-65
14-69
15-69
16-71
17-63
18-68
19-64
20-67
21-67
22-dead
23-63
24-67
25-90
26-67
27-78
28-67
29-89
30-65
31-82
32-65

Why you get STRONGER signals on 7-11-27-31 than the rest of the transponders and you really arent that far from me - just makes no sense.

So... like i said ;0 A bigger dish and a better lnb... surprise surprise ;0 heh ;0 I am willing to bet that if digiblur went to a 4 footer he would be more than fine on all of them, even the missing ones.

-B

All of those signals would be watchable, there are people on watching HD on E*'s 129 with those signal strengths and E*'s receivers are on a scale of 0-125.

Not arguing that point. But the facts are 2 signal strengths went down 10-15 points and only one came up 5 points according to the post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts