Nimiq 4/Possible Dish/Vu 1000 Updates for HD!

DCXFORDGM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003

Attachments

• dish1000.jpg
    dish1000.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Well,

"...Operating in geostationary orbit, the satellite will provide commercial services for a minimum of 15 years and will operate from an orbital location of 82º West."

No, not excatly. The plans are for Nimiq4 to coexist at82 with Nimiq1. So 2 satellites at each orbital location. The current set up utlizes 2 Nimiq satellites and two borrowed old Directv junkers. Nimiq 4 will take the place of one of the two borrowed Directv sats.

Kryspy

Last edited:
Well that is possible but anything could happen from know until launch date and that option my be in the works and is possible, I do know BCE investors that including myself would like to see it go another way. One thing is for sure is that transponder space in the future for Vu is a problem and BCE may want to offer more options in the future for the expressvu platform because there will be some more add-on's in the future.

DCXFORDGM,

You could also be correct. According to the article they state to be used at the 82 orbital location.

Years ago BCE invested heavily in IPTV alongside Microsoft. Bell et. al are interested in making satellite a last resort technology for rural folk and want to provide a one wire solution for everyone else which would mean IPTV.

They are certainly stalling investing heavily in satellite by utilizing old scrubbed Directv satellites as a stop gap.

At $599 Can. I am certain they got a really good deal on Echostars 942 inventory knowing full well Dish was going to MPEG4.

Kryspy

Last edited:
DCXFORDGM said:
With nimiq 4 coming on line in the near future<see link>, I would have to say they would be going to a dish 1000 antenna set-up. A superdish is not the answer, with the three lnb set up on the 1000, all of Vu's birds would be seen, two birds working together and the other two in there own orbit. When nimiq 4 does go up, the dance will start.

http://www.cablecastermagazine.com/issues/ISarticle.asp?id=51651&story_id=&issue=01172006

I really do not know see where you are coming up with this given what is in this article (all of which has been known for sometime). Where is anything that they will operate a bird not at 82W or 91W?

Kryspy said:
No, not excatly. The plans are for Nimiq4 to coexist at82 with Nimiq1. So 2 satellites at each orbital location. The current set up utlizes 2 Nimiq satellites and two borrowed old Directv junkers. Nimiq 4 will take the place of one of the two borrowed Directv sats.
Nimiq satellites are owned by Telesat not Expressvu. BCE plans an IPO later this spring as part of it's plan to take Telesat public.

Telesat must place a Telesat owned satellite @ 72.5 by 2008 or else they will lose their Industry Canada licence to operate at that slot. Unlike Ciel 2, N4 is not a spotbeam satellite; which means that most likely it will go to 82 or 91 for Expressvu service.

N4 is not an off the shelf Martin Marietta DBS satellite like N1/N2. It is an Astrium Ku satellite like F1R and F3 (with DBS antenna, etc instead) with bigger power supply and longer expected lifespan than typical DBS satellites. There will be no need to have any other satellite colocated with a satellite as big and powerful as this.

Heh, i wish they would put something new at 91 too... The borrowed DSS ones are great for me signal wise (I am on the fringe). But Nimiq1, forget it! ;0 I get some of it, but I would need an 8 footer to get the lot! I wish that both directv satts would go to 119 or a new one, Nimiq 5 ;0

Bountykiller said:
Heh, i wish they would put something new at 91 too... The borrowed DSS ones are great for me signal wise (I am on the fringe). But Nimiq1, forget it! ;0 I get some of it, but I would need an 8 footer to get the lot! I wish that both directv satts would go to 119 or a new one, Nimiq 5 ;0

What area are you in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)