Nimiq 4 strength

Yeah, I've got reports from Chicago and Cleveland that they can still hit 82. Down here in St. Louis, still nothing. Thinking about trying a 30+ inch dish, instead of the 500, but not sure it'll help. Chicago and Cleveland are also right on the lakes, and pretty close to Canada anyway though. so we might just be out of luck down here.

Mike

Down here in Raleigh, NC, I have no signals left on any transponder on 82.

Another interesting point is that if I stay too long looking at signals on 82, the receiver (9200) resets itself. In other words, if I try to tune to an HD channel, the receiver will power off and back on after about 1 minute of trying to tune in to that channel.

In Nashville, I still get transponders 2 and 3 although I am not convinced these come from Nimiq 4.

Another interesting point is that if I stay too long looking at signals on 82, the receiver (9200) resets itself. In other words, if I try to tune to an HD channel, the receiver will power off and back on after about 1 minute of trying to tune in to that channel.

On Long Island, NY, these channels are still coming in with an 18" dish:

801 GLBHE (Transponder 27 @ 49%)
803 CTYHE & 804 CBCHW (Transponder 11 @ 48%)
807 GLB & 819 PBSHE (Transponder 23 @ 50%)
818 FOXHE, 877 HDEDM, & 879 HDCAL (Transponder 19 @ 49%)
825 WGNHD, 838 SHWHD, & 872 NHLH2 (Transponder 15 @ 48%)
848 TSN2H (Transponder 31 @ 50%)

I believe that TSN2 HD was just moved to Transponder 31 today because it was not coming in at all yesterday. Transponders 2 and 3 are the only ones coming in strong with 2 at 73% and 3 at 100%.

Last edited:
from another site (Canadian TV site)

ARR posted a maintenance schedule and on it the last remap is schedule for tonight so what you will get tommorow morning will be mostly what you can or cannot get.

New uplink report is available.

Also, Iceberg, what is the biggest dish you have on your dish farm? Maybe you should swing it over and see if you can get better reception with a 30incher or bigger on 82w. I am thinking that you have to be so close to the fringe that if you get a bigger dish and can peak it, you should get a viable signal.

Someone needs to find a contour map of Nimiq 4...

Interesting signal levels on sat. 82 TPs 2 & 3.

Before this change in Feb. 2007 I had a 80% on TP 2 and 73% on TP 3. Now I have a 70% on TP 2 and 100% TP 3.

If these TPs were still on Nimiq 2, then I think that I would still have the same signal levels.

I live near richmond, va. I lost my account when Canam shut down. Thinking about trying to get it back until i read this news. Does anyone know if the richmond, va. area is still getting 82. Dennis

Also, Iceberg, what is the biggest dish you have on your dish farm?
biggest KU?
40x30 primestar

biggest in general?
6 foot C-Band dish....but putting a C-band LNB on a Prime Focus dish is bunk...signal is worse than a 18" dish

Maybe you should swing it over and see if you can get better reception with a 30incher or bigger on 82w. I am thinking that you have to be so close to the fringe that if you get a bigger dish and can peak it, you should get a viable signal.

Someone needs to find a contour map of Nimiq 4...

I'm using the 76cm dish on 82 to do the signal tests right now

I now have Transponder 3 on 82 at 90%. I'm getting the same thing with the receiver powering off and on after a minute or two of looking at one transponder's signal strength.

October 09, 2008

Nimiq-4 Performing As Predicted — Perfectly

Telesat’s Nimiq-4 satellite has successfully completed in-orbit tests and has been placed at the 82º W orbital slot. The satellite was formally handed over to Telesat Canada by satellite manufacturer Astrium as part of the in-orbit delivery contract. The Astrium team in Toulouse took control and began operating the Nimiq-4 satellite following its launch on September 20, 2008, from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in the Republic of Kazakhstan. The satellite arrived in geostationary orbit on September 24th and, after full deployment of its antenna reflectors and 39-m wingspan solar array, began in-orbit platform tests, swiftly followed by thorough payload tests conducted from Telesat’s operations station in Allan Park, Ontario. All spacecraft functions are performing fully as expected. Telesat has now officially taken possession of its new satellite and commenced operational service.

biggest KU?
40x30 primestar

biggest in general?
6 foot C-Band dish....but putting a C-band LNB on a Prime Focus dish is bunk...signal is worse than a 18" dish

I'm using the 76cm dish on 82 to do the signal tests right now

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will need a bigger dish.

It will be interesting to see how many US customers Bell actually had when people start to cancel there account. I estimated a guess about 8000 in the US which is equal to 5.3 milion per year of revenue.

I could be way off on the 8000....even if it was 4000 that still equal 2.6 mil per year of revenue lost to Star Choice

The Bell leaders have to be worst than the Leafs management

Now to make up for the loss of revenue, current canadain Bell customers will no doubt be hit with a price increase to help cover the cost of N4.

I would say we here in the US did our part to help keep the cost down but this is out of our control...

Buy some stock in Star Choice!!!

Last edited:
Let's see what happens in the next few days

I have a one meter (39") dish aimed at the 82 slot. Only Transponder 2 is coming in here in Northern California. I'll report any changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)