No 1080P Movie!

I don't think the version of HDMI (1.2, 1.3, etc) has anything to do with it as all of them can pass 1080p with no problems. You would need ver 1.3 for lossless audio but I don't believe we are getting lossless audio with VOD.

All of these "expect me to buy a new TV" comments are getting rediculous. People, being able to view 1080p24 is just like watching Blu-Ray or HD DVD. If your TV cannot accept the best possible resolution (1080p24), you can still watch the movie you just need to set your player to a different resolution. And in this case, if your TV is not capapable of 1080p24 you get 1080i/720p depending how your 622/722 is set. So if you want 1080p24 then get a new TV. If you just want to watch the movie, go ahead and rent it and watch it in non-1080p24.

That being said, even if your display will accept 1080p24, there is bound to be HDMI handshake issues. There always seems to be handshake issues with some combinations of devices with HDMI. But eventually most of them get worked out.
I thought the best possible resolution is (1080p60)?

I thought the best possible resolution is (1080p60)?

Technically yes, but film is 1080p24. I meant best in context of what we are talking about here 720p, 1080i and 1080p24.

That being said, I'm not sure how many people around here really understand what the differences are between 1080p24 and 1080i60 and if they can tell the difference on film based content. This VOD should benefit everyone as far as PQ, mainly because it is a download and should have higher bitrate.

I have an Onkyo 605 with a Samsung TV, watched I am Legend in 1080p and it looked very good. Gratz to dish on this one (would be even more gratz if it cost $5 instead of $7)

Technically yes, but film is 1080p24. I meant best in context of what we are talking about here 720p, 1080i and 1080p24.

That being said, I'm not sure how many people around here really understand what the differences are between 1080p24 and 1080i60 and if they can tell the difference on film based content. This VOD should benefit everyone as far as PQ, mainly because it is a download and should have higher bitrate.
Walker1 and myself may have the same problems. We have TV's that can display the best resolution (1080p60) not the 1080p24. (I do not have the update yet so I'm not convinced I won't be able to view the movie.) I do agree that the higher bitrate will help.

I don't think the version of HDMI (1.2, 1.3, etc) has anything to do with it as all of them can pass 1080p with no problems. You would need ver 1.3 for lossless audio but I don't believe we are getting lossless audio with VOD.

All of these "expect me to buy a new TV" comments are getting rediculous. People, being able to view 1080p24 is just like watching Blu-Ray or HD DVD. If your TV cannot accept the best possible resolution (1080p24), you can still watch the movie you just need to set your player to a different resolution. And in this case, if your TV is not capapable of 1080p24 you get 1080i/720p depending how your 622/722 is set. So if you want 1080p24 then get a new TV. If you just want to watch the movie, go ahead and rent it and watch it in non-1080p24.

That being said, even if your display will accept 1080p24, there is bound to be HDMI handshake issues. There always seems to be handshake issues with some combinations of devices with HDMI. But eventually most of them get worked out.

If you can't watch a movie in 1080p that defeats the whole purpose of having an expensive TV. As to your therory about TVs- I spent over $3000 for my Sony XBR2 about 1 year ago. I refuse to buy JUST a BluRay player- I want a BluRay recorder/player, period.

Even if I was rich I wouldn't throw away a top of the line XBR2 TV & buy a new one because Dish is too stupid to present a product that most of its customers can watch. Does that make sense to you?

If 60 fps was the accepted std. only 1 yr. ago why screw things up with 24 fps? I have never seen any 1080p movie on this TV & was really looking forward to checking one out.

If I owned a co. I would want to capture as many subscribers as possible for maximum $$ and customer retention. If Direct comes out with an acceptable alternative I will leave Dish after almost 4 yrs. to go with a co. that has an interest in most of its customers and not just the well off few that can drop $3-6K on a nice new TV.

I'm not disrespecting you, but this appears to be a lose-lose situation for many Dish DVR customers.:(

Last edited:
If you can't watch a movie in 1080p that defeats the whole purpose of having an expensive TV. As to your therory about TVs- I spent over $3000 for my Sony XBR2 about 1 year ago. I refuse to buy JUST a BluRay player- I want a BluRay recorder/player, period.

Even if I was rich I wouldn't throw away a top of the line XBR2 TV & buy a new one because Dish is too stupid to present a product that most of its customers can watch. Does that make sense to you?

If 60 fps was the accepted std. only 1 yr. ago why screw things up with 24 fps? I have never seen any 1080p movie on this TV & was really looking forward to checking one out.

If I owned a co. I would want to capture as many subscribers as possible for maximum $$ and customer retention. If Direct comes out with an acceptable alternative I will leave Dish after almost 4 yrs. to go with a co. that has an interest in most of its customers and not just the well off few that can drop $3-6K on a nice new TV.

I'm not disrespecting you, but this appears to be a lose-lose situation for many Dish DVR customers.:(

You missed the whole point that you CAN still watch this movie, just not in 1080p. Movies have been 24p from day one, its just that within the last couple years you can watch them that way in the home, without the needed 3:2 pulldown that creates some minor issues. Blu-Ray is in 1080p24, just as the film is. DVD is 24p, it's just the player or TV does 3:2 pullown to make it display on your TV.

So essentially Dish is putting out the latest and greatest as far as HD resolutions go, yet it is "backwards compatable" with ALL TVs for ALL viewers. So this solution works for ALL customers. So I don't really see what you are complaining about or the basis for your argument. Unless you want a cheap Blu-Ray recorder :), but that's a different topic.

You missed the whole point that you CAN still watch this movie, just not in 1080p. Movies have been 24p from day one, its just that within the last couple years you can watch them that way in the home, without the needed 3:2 pulldown that creates some minor issues. Blu-Ray is in 1080p24, just as the film is. DVD is 24p, it's just the player or TV does 3:2 pullown to make it display on your TV.

So essentially Dish is putting out the latest and greatest as far as HD resolutions go, yet it is "backwards compatable" with ALL TVs for ALL viewers. So this solution works for ALL customers. So I don't really see what you are complaining about or the basis for your argument. Unless you want a cheap Blu-Ray recorder :), but that's a different topic.

No, I "get it." OK, if I buy a BluRay player my XBR won't play a movie in 1080p 24, will it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I already watch my stuff in HD 1080i. Why would I want to watch a movie in a watered down format that isn't as good as what I thought I was buying 1 year ago?

I rarely rent VOD/PPV movies. I do subscribe to Netflix, but once again I have no BluRay player. Then, if I hook it up to the XBR it won't be in the p 24 format, will it? Am I right?

I have never been one to settle for something I don't want, but in this case I can't buy a new set. Last June I bought the XBR2- Sony's flagship projection set. Now it appears I made a mistake unless a work around becomes available without sacrificing PQ. But, I only have 60 instead of 24.

Every time I go to the Sony Style store in the mall I can't get over how life like the PQ is on all of their TVs. Perhaps I shouldn't have bought our 2nd Prius last April. Bummer.:eek:

No, I "get it." OK, if I buy a BluRay player my XBR won't play a movie in 1080p 24, will it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I already watch my stuff in HD 1080i. Why would I want to watch a movie in a watered down format that isn't as good as what I thought I was buying 1 year ago?

Watching Blu-Ray or Dish VOD at 1080i60 has no resolution loss compared to 1080p24 assuming your TV does proper deinterlace for display at 1080p60, so it is not watered down. The only thing you would be "losing" would be the benefits of not having 5:5 pulldown and I'm willing to bet you would not see the difference between 1080p24 and 1080i60.

But this VOD should have higher bitrate than normal Dish 1080i programming, which should make a difference in what you see, and for the better.

Put it this way, I have a 1080i RP CRT and am looking forward to this download.....and I love Blu-Ray and it looks fantastic on my set.

And my guess is a lot of what you are seeing on the newer displays is the Motion Enhancer which gives the picture a smoother look, some like it some don't.

No go enjoy your nice TV and your Prius! :)

Watching Blu-Ray or Dish VOD at 1080i60 has no resolution loss compared to 1080p24 assuming your TV does proper deinterlace for display at 1080p60, so it is not watered down. The only thing you would be "losing" would be the benefits of not having 5:5 pulldown and I'm willing to bet you would not see the difference between 1080p24 and 1080i60.

But this VOD should have higher bitrate than normal Dish 1080i programming, which should make a difference in what you see, and for the better.

Put it this way, I have a 1080i RP CRT and am looking forward to this download.....and I love Blu-Ray and it looks fantastic on my set.

And my guess is a lot of what you are seeing on the newer displays is the Motion Enhancer which gives the picture a smoother look, some like it some don't.

No go enjoy your nice TV and your Prius! :)

Are you stating that a movie in 1080i60 will look as good as the TVs in the Sony store? I was told the "i" res. is every 3 lines vs. the "p" that is every line of res. The manager also showed me how the depth & colors are more flowing and natural. Of course, that's the way all sets look in a Sony store & that's his job.

BTW, The 2008 Prius is struggling to get 49 MPG and the '06 used to get 54 MPG until the Gov. started using ethanol. Now it's only getting about 50 MPG. I am glad I got rid of the last 2 cars that had 6 cyl. engines. To me paying more $$ for gas is like throwing money in the nearest gutter. I'd rather have $$ for my toys.

I am quite fond of my XBR2. My last set was a SD Mitsubishi 50" projection set & couldn't hold a candle to the Sony. I have always liked Sony products along with Klipsch speakers. I was a mobile DJ for 20 yrs. and still have all the equipment. Every so often I fire up the sound system and shake the house.

You know how it is-guys love guy toys. Some things never change.:)

Are you stating that a movie in 1080i60 will look as good as the TVs in the Sony store? I was told the "i" res. is every 3 lines vs. the "p" that is every line of res. The manager also showed me how the depth & colors are more flowing and natural. Of course, that's the way all sets look in a Sony store & that's his job.

Comparing different TVs is whole other ballgame. What I am saying is there is no loss of resolution in going from 1080p24 (on the disc) to 1080i60 (for output by the player) to 1080p60 for display on your TV assuming everything is done correctly. The "i" means every other, or interlaced. First the odd numbered lines are drawn (540 of them) then 1/60sec later the even ones (540 lines), combining to make 1080i on the screen. So it takes 2/60 or 1/30sec to draw an entire new screen for 1080i and this is done 30 times/second. 1080p24 is a full 1080 screen 24 times/second. So you see, 1080i60 can draw full screens (30 per sec) faster than the normal film rate (24 per sec) requires. So some frames (1 out of 3 sort of) are actually duplicated on a 24p film so it displays properly on a TV needing 60frames/sec (most TVs). These duplicated frames can cause judder during screen pans, which is where having a 120hz TV comes into play. 5x24=120, so each frame is just repeated 5 times and all are displayed for equal time and no frame judder. This is why people want 24p and 120hz displays.

Now enough reading/typing/learning for a night....go back to your nice toys! :)

1080p60 & 1080p24

Does the projector have an HDMI input? Are you using it? If it has the HDMI input and you are using it 99% chance that it is able to play both 1080p24 & 60. the thing is it seems to me that you are thinking that the 60 is exclusive to 1080p on your setup. Also the way I have been reading it on the forums the TV is check by the E* IRD to see if it is compatible and then will tell you yes or no. That is what it should do but some of the firmware that has been downloaded doesn't recognize all models that are compatible yet. It is also my understanding that TV's that will only do 1080i can not view this movie that the VIP IRD won't down rez it to 1080i. BTW this is the price all techno junkies pay when things advance to the next level some very good equipment that is a year or two old just won't work with newer standards. I'm one of those people that went HD when almost no one had HD sets so mine on will play SD(480I), ED(480P), or HD in 1080I. It goes black when a 720P signal is feed to it. Such is life in the electronics upgrade monster world.

Does the projector have an HDMI input? Are you using it? If it has the HDMI input and you are using it 99% chance that it is able to play both 1080p24 & 60. the thing is it seems to me that you are thinking that the 60 is exclusive to 1080p on your setup. Also the way I have been reading it on the forums the TV is check by the E* IRD to see if it is compatible and then will tell you yes or no. That is what it should do but some of the firmware that has been downloaded doesn't recognize all models that are compatible yet. It is also my understanding that TV's that will only do 1080i can not view this movie that the VIP IRD won't down rez it to 1080i. BTW this is the price all techno junkies pay when things advance to the next level some very good equipment that is a year or two old just won't work with newer standards. I'm one of those people that went HD when almost no one had HD sets so mine on will play SD(480I), ED(480P), or HD in 1080I. It goes black when a 720P signal is feed to it. Such is life in the electronics upgrade monster world.

Yes, Three HDMI inputs all in use. Others here say there will be a list of TVs that will work with the new firmware.

OK, I have an odd problem. Dish lets me order the 1080p movie but then I get a flashing screen like a DVD "skipping". It downloads and thinks it's playing, it's just unwatchable with the screen flashing. You see 3-4 seconds, then a 4-5 second delay, then 3-4 more seconds, then 45- second delay and so on. Once in while it will play for 10-15 seconds where you think it's going and then back to flashing.