No 1080P Movie!

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, My 722 got turbocharged. Yesterday I went to ch. 501- VOD to have a look @ the 1080P movie. Each time I clicked on "Rent" my scrn went blank- then I get message # 994- States: My TV is not compatible OR I did NOT confirm I wanted to rent the movie.

1) My Sony R60XBR2 Projection TV is most certainly full 1080P. 2) I was never allowed to see the 2nd scrn as it showed up for a split second and was blocked by message # 994.
3) I called Dish tech support 3 times getting 3 different answers- (Nothing new about that). The 3rd rep told me they're having all kinds of trouble with the software- Doesn't sound like whoever designed the s-ware knows their a*s from a hole in the ground. It's like when my 722 went haywire for almost a month after anothe s-ware upgrade.

Has anyone been able to actually watch the 1080P movie on ch. 501?

It would be nice to see how my XBR performs with a decent signal. :(

FYI. I have a 622 and had gotten a written reply from DISH (via e-mail after I inquired when I would get the 1080p channel) stating that 622's would have the channel on 8-7-08 at 12:00am. When I got up that morning, i checked-no 501. I called to complain and finally ended up at the tech area. The tech told me the 622's that did not get the upgrade on 8-7, would have it by 8-11. I went back to csr's, complained about the false e-mail, and got 3 free months of hd (3 $20 credits).:eureka

yeah, make sure your using HDMI because I don't think the component works and that might be your problem.

I just noticed I received I am Legend overnight. When I tried to view I received a message saying my equipment will not support 1080P.

I am hook up via hdmi to a Denon 3808, then to a Mitsubishi HC6000 projector. I connected direct to the projector with the same results.

I would have to say the software has a problem.. :(

Hey, you guys know Dish is always pushing the envelope.

When the 622 first came out there were certain HDTV's that had HDMI that was not compatible with the HDMI on the 622.

I suspect this is a similar problem. Their database of HDMI 1080p displays has a few glitches in it, I suspect in 3 or 4 months they will get most of the bugs ironed out.

Is anybody anywhere offering anything even remotely similar to this?

This kind of stuff cannot be perfected in Beta testing. There are too many variables. It has to be perfected in the real world.

Welcome to the 21st century where we all are beta testers.

HDCP

Most likely it is more HDCP handshake issues. The Movie studios are so afraid that some one might get a movie stolen that E* is most likely walking softly on allowances for playback.

I watched it last night... in 1080p... LOOKED AMAZING! Very very close to the BD one (I own that too). I basically just spent the 3 dollars to check the quality.

I never had a problem ordering the movie... Hope your guys' probs get ironed out.

You all 100% sure that you are using HDMI or a 1080p compatible input?

I'm having the same issue. I have a Sony KDL-XBR4 that is a 120hz/1080p w/24fps compatible TV that is hooked up entirely through HDMI inputs. I watch Bluray movies through a PS3, but everytime I try to rent the "I am Legend" 1080p movie through Dish's VOD, I get the 994 message saying that my TV is not compatible with the resolution of the movie. I've visited with a Level 3 tech and we tried different inputs, etc and never did come to a solution. Hopefully Dish's engineers can do some tweaking that will allow the correct handshake.

I watched it last night... in 1080p... LOOKED AMAZING! Very very close to the BD one (I own that too). I basically just spent the 3 dollars to check the quality.

I never had a problem ordering the movie... Hope your guys' probs get ironed out.

Yes, We bought the HDMI cable from the Sony store when we bought the TV. There was a scrn. that tried to pop up after we clicked on "rent", but the 994 message blocked it. Can't wait to see the PQ @ 1080P. We've been waiting for a BluRay DVD recorder/player to come out.

Yes, We have a Sony KDS-R60XBR2 set that's full 1080.

1080p is not the spec for the movie, 1080p24 is and the edid info that is passed in the HDMI handshake must specify that your display is 1080p24 compatible. I think the problem some are having is that they don't have 1080p24 support OR the edid info does not properly pass that support in the handshake.

In trying to make sure there were no false positives, Dish has created some false negatives.

FYI. I have a 622 and had gotten a written reply from DISH (via e-mail after I inquired when I would get the 1080p channel) stating that 622's would have the channel on 8-7-08 at 12:00am. When I got up that morning, i checked-no 501. I called to complain and finally ended up at the tech area. The tech told me the 622's that did not get the upgrade on 8-7, would have it by 8-11. I went back to csr's, complained about the false e-mail, and got 3 free months of hd (3 $20 credits).:eureka

god thats laME

Turned on this morning, 8-11 and still no 501. I'll be back on the line again. Also today just happens to be the last day of my 18 month commitment. Let see what they will do to keep an unhappy possible ex-sub who now has not on D to use, but Uverse to.

Same here!