no 4k for you tube?

Chuck Summers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
KIrksville, Mo.
We do not have internet at our home due to living in the country. I have used my hotspot on my phone to bring up you tube videos that say 4k, even 8k, but I think I read her that its not 4k. Is that true, the picture is really good but I don't know if its 4k good. I have a 65 inch LG 4k tv with the Hopper 3 and a pioneer receiver that has most of new video and audio settings

Try this one. It is 4K and plain HDR10

Edit: You might be able to compare between the TV screen and your phone screen depending on what phone you have

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chuck Summers
You won't be able to get 4K from YouTube on the Hopper 3...The Hopper 3 isn't capable of decoding the codec that YouTube uses for 4K. You can still see the videos, but they will only display in 1080p.

For true 4K content, you'll have to go for Dish OnDemand 4K content (what little there is), watch for events on the special 4K events channel (ch 540...not much these days), or you can get 4K content from the Amazon Prime App on the Hopper. As for YouTube 4K content, depending on the model, your LG TV may have a YouTube app built-in that would likely be capable of viewing 4K YT Videos.

I didn't think about that. There is a YouTube option "stats for nerds" under the three dots options to show what the current resolution is. It is lower in my HD set. However the video doesn't look that much worse. Can somebody find a definitive example of a 4k video that looks bad when shown at HD on the Hopper YT app?
d497d137e1f06397775c0769cc4e6b8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)