No 5.1 Via HDMI on HR22-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Big Dawg 23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 13, 2008
Northfield, MN
I am fairly new to HD but not to DD 5.1. I have a Vizio VU37L 720P hooked up VIA HDMI from my HR22-100. I also hooked up an Optical Cable from the Audio out on the TV to Audio in on my JVC Reciever. In short it will only do Dolby Surround and Not Dolby Digital 5.1.

I know the issue isnt the Receiver because prior to the TV it was hooked up via Optical of the HR22 to my Reciever. I am unsure if it is the TV or it is the Cable. Can you have audio drop to Dolby Surround because of a bad cable? I also have a Toshiba Up convert and also only does Dolby Surround.

Before replacing the cable I am wondering if the TV could be the issue or can it be the Cable. The cable is the one included with the HR22. In a search on the forum I found this about cables http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/155593-best-hdmi-cables-dtv-hd-receivers.html

I am wonder can oxidation effect sound partially? I was installed on 11-1 and hooked up the HDMI on 11-17

I don't believe that TVs pass the DD5.1 signal to the optical output except for programming received on the internal tuner. I run the optical cable from my DVR to my A/V receiver and that works fine.

Why not change it back to the toslink directly to the receiver?

I think Bob may be right. I have my HR22 sending video via HDMI to my tv, then it sending 5.1 via toslink to the rcvr.

Well it appears it is the HDMI cable. I hooked up a OTA today pulled in most of the locals in HD and Analog. When watching the HD OTA my Recievers cycles to DD5.1 with the Optical/Toslink cable .

Also double checked specs on Vizio.com and it list Optical Digital out 5.1. Guess I best replace the HDMI.

Thanks for the feed back and help.

Don't think that will help. I can feed a 5.1 source via HDMI to my HDTV and it will only pass 2.0 out to my audio receiver.

Your TV optical out will pass DD5.1 if it is an OTA channel decoded by the ATSC tuner in the TV. It almost certainly will not pass DD 5.1 if the original signal came to the TV over HDMI. Virtually no TVs will passthru DD 5.1 from HDMI.

Well it appears it is the HDMI cable. I hooked up a OTA today pulled in most of the locals in HD and Analog. When watching the HD OTA my Recievers cycles to DD5.1 with the Optical/Toslink cable .

Also double checked specs on Vizio.com and it list Optical Digital out 5.1. Guess I best replace the HDMI.

Thanks for the feed back and help.

It's the TV, not the cable. Read posts #2 and #8.

Also agree with #2 and #8, none of my HD sets will pass back out anything other the DD2.0 from the optical output, unless I'm tuned to a ATSC/HD channel that has DD5.1 audio. Just run an optical cable from the HR2X to your audio receiver and enjoy.

I will trust you on this. Just doesnt make sense why a company makes a TV with Optical out and only allow the Coaxial to send out a 5.1 Signal. Seems to me it should be possible. Like I said I am new to the HD and HDMI thing. However not new to DD5.1.

I will trust you on this. Just doesnt make sense why a company makes a TV with Optical out and only allow the Coaxial to send out a 5.1 Signal. Seems to me it should be possible. Like I said I am new to the HD and HDMI thing. However not new to DD5.1.

Yeah, one would expect that it would be supported by the TV but it is not. Does the coaxial pass DD5.1 coming in on the HDMI input? Mine doesn't have a coaxial audio output so I can't check that here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts