No Ads Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that they are doing this... The Emails I get through my ISP are powered by G-Mail and I got a notice in my email yesterday that they were gonna be doing something simular with their email service so that it does not bog down... Will be curious to see how it works for here... CC

Not knowing enough about internet ads, I was basing that on if the advertiser had the option to select websites to be listed on. If I pick a site that has "x" visitors per day (verified, not claimed) and my cost is based on that, when that website doesn't display ads to that "x" number, it would be unfair. See what I mean ? Sounds like it doesn't work that way, so disregard :D

Well CTR is sorta like what you are describing.. There are two ways you can advertise using google. You can advertise on a CPC (cost per click) or CPM (Cost per thousand impressions (dont ask why its M)). By changing satguys to show less ads, what it does is makes google show the highest paying ads. Instead of google trying to fill the space for 100k ads, it only needs to fill the space for say 75k.. Thus the odds of higher paying ads showing is better for scott. So when a user clicks on the higher paying ad scott gets more vs clicking the lower paying ads..

The CPM adds are based on how many times the ad is served (shown) and is usually paid X amount per thousand impressions. Those ads typically pay less then the click through ads, but as easier to get money for because all you have to do is show the ad, no one needs to click. Those are usually the big banner picture ads, or video ads or countless other ads that try to draw your attention. The simple text ads are usually the CPC ads which you have to click before anyone gets paid.

I don't think either of us are claiming it won't work to gain revenue for Satelliteguys. I imagine it will, for the reasons you (Scott) mentioned. It just amazes me that CTR is a valid/desirable/fair figure of merit on which Google bases it's business. If I were an advertiser, I would want to pay for actual clicks (click-through count) on my ad, not potential eyeballs or some irrelevant number such as the CTR. In the worst-case scenario using the CTR, I (as an advertiser) would be paying the same for a single customer coming from an insignificant website as I do for thousands coming from Satelliteguys. I guess that's why I'm not a Google Adsense customer.

See above,

Also note this is exactly how the system is designed to work. By limiting the ad space, it makes advertisers pay more if they wish to be on this site. Which is how the system works. Thats why people advertise with google and why they make billions on advertising. Because they basically invented this system and it works very well for both advertiser and website.

The internet has become an overwhelming medium where we all are bombarded with messages, ads, pop ups, enter here to win promotions, spam, etc. etc. Most of us have become opposed to and aggravated with message overloading. We do our best to mentally block them out, grow impatient with performance and scan entire web pages in the blink of an eye. Some of this internet advertising actually negatively impacts the sale of products IMO. How often do we actually read the home page? As a pub member the changing banner in the upper right hand corner bothers me and I do my best to ignore it. If there is something I need to purchase within the satellite world I will gravitate toward the static images at the top of the page. I understand that the changing banner helps pay the bills around here and for that I am grateful, but even that banner (hopefully) may one day disappear.
P.S. I believe Scott does his best to shield us members from the ads. Compare this website to the many others out there. ;)

Last edited:
Well CTR is sorta like what you are describing.. There are two ways you can advertise using google. You can advertise on a CPC (cost per click) or CPM (Cost per thousand impressions (dont ask why its M)). By changing satguys to show less ads, what it does is makes google show the highest paying ads. Instead of google trying to fill the space for 100k ads, it only needs to fill the space for say 75k.. Thus the odds of higher paying ads showing is better for scott.
OK... I think I understand CPC and CPM, but neither one are the CTR that Scott described above! The suggested mechanism of showing fewer higher paying ads might make sense, but why would getting rid of the cheaper ads result in higher revenue for anybody? Maybe it's the psychology that Frank describes.

BTW - M is the roman numeral for 1000, which is confusingly separate and distinct from the SI unit M for 1,000,000.

The Adsense experiment has worked all in all we are earning a little more then normal, but not by too much. However we have not lost any revenue from Adsense in the experiment at all which is a great thing. I do NOT plan on bringing Google Ads back to Registered Members.

We of course did lose revenue from the other syndicated ads that have not been running (those ads are CPM and CPC ads.) so those ads will be returning tomorrow.

The good news for those registered members is that all the ads are served via iframes so there should be no slowdown in loading SatelliteGuys Content. With Google Adsense we couldn't put those ads in iframes as they don't work in iframes.

OK... I think I understand CPC and CPM, but neither one are the CTR that Scott described above! The suggested mechanism of showing fewer higher paying ads might make sense, but why would getting rid of the cheaper ads result in higher revenue for anybody? Maybe it's the psychology that Frank describes.

BTW - M is the roman numeral for 1000, which is confusingly separate and distinct from the SI unit M for 1,000,000.

CTR just means Click Through rate.. Its basically the number of ads shown vs the number of clicks.. Say you show 100 ads and get 2 clicks. Your CTR is 2%The dollar amount is assigned based on how much you earn vs ads displayed vs clicks.

I thought you were turning these

Paying The Bills With Google Adsense Circuit advertisement

off (the ones inserted inline like comments in the threads) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.