NO Audio Description on Hop-3 ---Need Help Please!!!!

Ray77085

Original poster
Mar 15, 2020
H-Town
Audio Description
I have a family member who has vision issues.
Hopper-3 was just Installed 3 days ago. So I'm New to Dish.

With Audio Description turned on it is not working with the Dish Hopper-3. I do not hear any audio description on channels like TBS-ch-139, TNT-ch-138, USA-ch-105. Those channels have it on certain programming.
They all work on Directv using the same TV.

My TV is Hisense / Roku TV model# 55R6040F and this is what they say about accessibility.
Hisense Roku TV Text to Speech FunctionalitiesText-to-Speech and Video Description functionalities on the TVText-to-Speech (TTS) and Video Description can help you to navigate the menus on the screen and hear an audio description of relevant programs. Text-to-Speech can convert written text into voice text to help visually impaired people listen to the information they are unable to read. In addition, the Video Description has an audio narration added to certain programs that will describe the main visual elements which visually impaired users may not be able to see.Follow the steps below to enable the functions:1. Press the Home button to access the Menu.2. Next, select Settings to enter the Settings Menu.3. Select Accessibility > Audio Guide to turn the Audio Guide 'On' or 'Off'.When the Audio Guide is turned 'On', then the contents of each menu displayed can be broadcasted out and you can hear the introduction of relevant programs.https://www.hisense-usa.com/hisense-roku-tv-text-to-speech-functionalities.

The hopper-3 doesn't work regardless if I have the Audio Guide on or Off on the TV.
TEXT TO SPEECH WORKS FINE.

Directly from DISH below.
Audio Description
Audio Description option

Audio Description, also referred to as video description, described video, or Secondary Audio Programming, allows programs with narrative tracks to play when available.
Audio Description is audio-narrated descriptions of a program’s key visual elements. These descriptions are inserted into natural pauses in the program’s dialogue. Audio Description makes TV programming more accessible to individuals who are blind or visually impaired.

TEXT TO SPEECH WORKS FINE on the HOP-3.

I did notice that the Dish installer used the eastern satellites 72 and 61.5 if that matters.

I'm using these HDMI cables. Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YCbCr 4:4:4,

Perhaps one could try Audio Description with your Hop-3 to see if it works and check the settings if it does work.

Any help would be much appreciated as I have exhausted all options.

Difficult trying to get help with Dish CSR and Hisense CSR.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help.

I've looked a little further and found this website:

I see programming on all three mentioned channels. It also mentions that rerun programming may not have AD enabled. I saw, on a different website, that if you were recording a program and watching it live at the same time you would have to wait to watch the recorded program for AD to work.

Reactions: charlesrshell
HipKat and Bobby thanks for your replies. We just made the switch from Directv to Dish. Directv has this feature and it worked all of the time on USA, TBS, TNT.
This is exactly what it does (Audio Description is audio-narrated descriptions of a program’s key visual elements. These descriptions are inserted into natural pauses in the program’s dialogue)

Dish stated that its available on all of their receivers.

I need for others to try to see if they can get it to work on the Hopper- 3 . I need to confirm that I have a faulty Hopper-3 or not.

TBS ch-139 today should have The Longest Yard, and Big Bang Theory in AD.

TNT ch-138 today should have Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy vol-2 in AD

USA ch--105 today should have Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in AD

Please go back and tune into one of those channels TNT for example. Press Options button on the Hop-3 remote, using the up and down , right and left, arrows tab to the Accessibility and enter select on the remote. Once that is done you should hear Text To Speech reading the on screen options. Please confirm that you hear that. Tab over and select AD to On. Once done hit guide and tune back to the channel . When Ant-Man is on (not commercials) one should hear narration / AD when something is happening on the TV screen such as music, moving action going on with no dialog.

Also when you hit the info Button on your remote do you see anything other than the logos like HD CC and the dolby logo ?

Thanks again as I really do appreciate any help .

I tried all three channels and didn’t hear AD on any of them, including the movie The Longest Yard on TBS. I tried Blue Bloods on CBS from my Prime Time recording and heard it there so that tells me that AD does work when enabled. I did look at Info on the Blue Bloods recording and it didn’t have any indication on AD at all.

Reactions: Ray77085
Bobby,

There's something wrong with Dish and the Hop-3. The person in my household relies on AD to enjoy TV and watched those channels all the time with AD on DTV. Those channels especially USA plays AD all of the time on DTV.
I will try the local CBS this evening when they bring on NCIS: New Orleans at 8pm central time as it should have AD.

I may have to dump Dish and pay the 2 year fine if need be because no AD on USA, TBS, TNT is not going to happen. I'm not sure what the grace period is but the Dish was installed on Thursday 03/12.

Thanks as you have been very helpful.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Was able to hear the AD on the local channels FOX-26 with a show called Duncanville at 7:00pm central yesterday Sunday 03/15/2020.
Was able to hear the AD on local channel 11- CBS when watching NCIS: New Orleans.

That makes me feel a little bit better knowing that those channels are working with AD.

Please somebody post back if you can get USA, TNT, TBS, or Turner Classic Movies to work with AD on any program, movie, or show etc.

Thank You.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)