No audio when playing recording from one hopper on a different hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
Several times I have found that when I tried to play a recording from a remote hopper on a local hopper, I get video and no audio. I have to play around with changing channels, choosing different recordings and then coming back to my desired recording. Sometimes that fixes it right away and other times I have to keep playing with it for the audio to show up. I searched the forum and saw a thread from May that sounds similar. Is this a known issue? I have my hopper hooked up via HDMI directly to my TV (no receiver).

I've had that happen twice. Not sure if this is related but both times I was switching to the program just as it was starting to record. In both cases I wound up rebooting because it either froze entirely or I just could not get the audio back. BTW I rebooted the one I was watching on. The one doing the recording was fine.

Edited: Actually in thinking about it only one time was a switch over to live recording. The other time was a few days later so the live recording one was probably coincidental.

Last edited:
I have had this happen several times. It appears to happen more when I have stopped watching something and try to go back and resume. It only happens watching recordings from 1 Hopper to another.

This happens often in our house. It happens most times trying to watch a local channel recording. However, it has happened with other channels. It mostly happens when the local hopper is recording.

Usually a reboot will restore your sound: sometimes both hoppers have to be rebooted . It happens a lot more than I like and sometimes a reboot isn't possible due to ptat recording. My wife has taken to watching in the bedroom ,instead of the living room with the bigger hd tv ,because the sound doesn't work for her show on the other hopper. Kind of defeats the whole idea of whole house system.

This happens quite a few times on the Living Room Hopper, but the bedroom Hopper can playback from the LV Hopper with no problems almost every time. The LV Hopper can even have audio from Live TV but Video from the playback and all sorts of confusing mess and the Hopper will NOT respond to commands, and I am force to reboot, although I always reboot when ever I can't get it to play right just to be sure clear out whatever. However, yesterday, The Hopper Living Room still would not playback from the other Hopper even after 3 reboots in less than 10 minutes. UUUHHHHHH!!! PITA! Then on the 4th reboot, it seemed to behave well enough.

Again problems in this regard with one of our Hoppers but not the other Hopper.

Usually i just stop the playback and watch live on the dvr and then restart the playback from the other dvr and most times, but not all, the sound will be there.

Usually i just stop the playback and watch live on the dvr and then restart the playback from the other dvr and most times, but not all, the sound will be there.
That's my usual strategy as well. as you said, it sometimes takes a couple of times for that to work. We shouldn't have to go through those kinds of gyrations to watch stuff on our "whole home DVR". Wish they'd fix this.

My hopper hasn't had sound period all day today. Not on recorded shows, live tv, local channels....nothing. Rebooted several times and still nothing. I'm getting fed up with this thing not working right half the time I try to use it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

My hopper hasn't had sound period all day today. Not on recorded shows, live tv, local channels....nothing. Rebooted several times and still nothing. I'm getting fed up with this thing not working right half the time I try to use it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Strange. Sounds like buggy hardware?

I have an external Bose sound system instead of using the TV speakers. I noticed at times that whenever the funky thing happens in my prior post above or every once in a while when changing a channel or ending watching a recording the audio drops to 0. No sound. I have to keep pressing the up volume on the Bose system to get the audio to go back up. Sometimes I even have to flip back-and-forth between channels then up the volume to get the sound back.

I've had the TV connected to the speakers for about 2 years prior to my recent Hopper upgrade from a 722 and never experienced it before. Only periodically with the new Hopper w/Sling.

This has started happening to me as well, I will watch a recorded show from the family room hopper on my bedroom hopper and not have any audio. This is the first time this has happened to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)