No Broadcast Pic But Menu Okay After Long Time Off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harryavant

Original poster
May 27, 2014
I have a HR44-200 and HR24-500. Each morning around 5 am I normally turn on my HR44/TV to watch the news. For the past few mornings when doing this I have no image on the tv from the broadcast channels but I do have a full display when I hit MENU on the remote. I have tried changing channels while this is going on but that does not give me a picture. I did go to the DTV website and did a reauthorize - no help. If I do a menu or red button reset the problem goes away once the HR44 has rebooted. I have tried a power off, unplugged for an hour but that didn't solve the problem. Power save is turned off. This does not happen if the HR44/TV is off for three or four hours during the day. Any suggestions? This does not happen with the HR24.

:welcome to Satelliteguys harryavant!

I have read similar reports to yours and there seems to be no fix except to get the unit exchanged. Have you talked to customer service? They are likely to have you go through what you have already done. Humor them as they have to follow their script.

Yes this morning I called CS and some woman had me do all of the same things again. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to see if there are any changes. Seems odd that it only happens overnight when the receiver has been off for 7 or 8 hours. Other than that no problems.

Have you checked all of the connections including the cabling to be sure there are no kinks or loose connections?

Yes but consider that if a connection issue was the cause, how could I display the guide and list of recorded programs? How could a connection issue resolve itself by a reset?

And before someone asks if it is a power issue at night - the receiver and tv are both on a UPS which has not responded to a power out.

A ups can cause issues, but I doubt that's the problem. Usually it's a cheap power strip that is problematic. The recorded programs are on the dvr so that could display without a satellite connection. I think the guide would also show until the cache is cleared, although that's a marginally educated guess. If you had a cabling issue, you would be getting an error message like 721 for no signal unless it was very sporadic. It's certainly worth checking the cables and connections anyway as preventative maintenance. Bottom line is you will likely have to replace the unit.

Problem seems to have been fixed. I noticed a software update had been received at 1:45am. I assume this is why the problem seems to be fixed - at least for this morning. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

Guess I "spoke" too soon. It happened again this morning. I did a SENDREPORT and got the following 20140530-4A1E. Anyone know what that means? Will call DTV again later this morning.

Well I had the problem again this morning. As per a CSR yesterday I tried to do a System Test while the problem was happening. The test seemed to freeze at the 69 percent point and eventually a message came up "All resources are being used for a network operation." After a few more minutes the test ended and my picture an sound were back to normal. I tried again to do System Test and this time it completed giving two errors, both 72-98-500, one being a dial tone error and the second stating "this unit is not on wireless." As a check I selected Apps and loaded the local weather info via wireless connection. Any thoughts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)