No Cbs!

herzzreh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
ARRGH!
Called Dish today to see what's up with ANY CBS station.
"Ah... CBS is not available in your area" "????? I know there is no CBS broadcast station here but cable carries it out of Anchorage. Can I get a distant CBS station? Anchorage? NY? LA?" "No, sorry, sir, you cannot get CBS in your area."

What the ...?

where ya located? I'm assuming somewhere in Alaska (IIRC Fairbanks)

Fairbanks has CBS available (K13XD I assuming a translator)

Iceberg said:
where ya located? I'm assuming somewhere in Alaska (IIRC Fairbanks)

Fairbanks has CBS available (K13XD I assuming a translator)

I'm in Juneau.
Due to the location of my house I can only get ABC Alaska (surprisingly, I'm picking up the Anchorage broadcast instead of the local ABC affiliate. Maybe this mountain right next to me has something to do with it....). Can't pick up CBS.

I f'd that one up...you're in Juneau which doesnt seem to have a CBS up yet...hmmm

It is uplinked but not available yet...so either there is a retransmission agreement that isnt in place or the signal isn't good enough for them to turn it over to subscribers

according to www.dishchannelchart.com , it would be KTNL 13

you do qualify for distant FOX :)

JUNEAU, AK 99801-

Tue Sep 06 13:36:10 MDT 2005

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE

Congratulations! This address is eligible for the
Juneau, AK $3.99 Local Network Package

Click here to see a list of the channels in the package.

DISTANT NETWORK A LA CARTE

Congratulations! This address may be eligible for part of the Distant Network A La Cartes. You may choose a maximum total of 2 (two) A La Carte networks (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX). You must be eligible to receive National PBS.

FOX

A LA CARTE STATIONS:

Anchorage, AK FOX - KTBY

New York, NY FOX - WNYW

Atlanta, GA FOX - WAGA

Chicago, IL FOX - WFLD

Denver, CO FOX - KDVR

Los Angeles, CA FOX - KTTV

TIME ZONE:

Iceberg said:
I f'd that one up...you're in Juneau which doesnt seem to have a CBS up yet...hmmm

It is uplinked but not available yet...so either there is a retransmission agreement that isnt in place or the signal isn't good enough for them to turn it over to subscribers

according to www.dishchannelchart.com , it would be KTNL 13

That's what I figured but I can't even pick up that station OTA.
I wonder why they wouldn't even let me ask for a waiver to get distant CBS (which, IMO, I should be able to get since it's not really available here anyway).

technicality...just because the station isn't available, doesnt mean you can get a distant....when Viacom had the isseuw with Dish, I lost my CBS for a couple days. They wouldn't let me get a different one.

When I moved, the town that I have locals for didnt have a CBS for a while...couldn't get another :(

Reason you can get FOX distant is apparently there is no FOX in Juneau, but they pump in the Anchorage one (they did this in Cheyenne, WY with the NBC. There was no NBC in the market so everyone got NBC Denver). According to dish Network, you could get FOX from another city too (for 1.50) :)

Iceberg said:
technicality...just because the station isn't available, doesnt mean you can get a distant....when Viacom had the isseuw with Dish, I lost my CBS for a couple days. They wouldn't let me get a different one.

When I moved, the town that I have locals for didnt have a CBS for a while...couldn't get another :(

Reason you can get FOX distant is apparently there is no FOX in Juneau, but they pump in the Anchorage one (they did this in Cheyenne, WY with the NBC. There was no NBC in the market so everyone got NBC Denver). According to dish Network, you could get FOX from another city too (for 1.50) :)

Ugh... :( That sucks. I'll miss my CSI and wife's gonna be even more angrier... she needs her NCIS.

You need to contact KTNL TV 13 (CBS/"i") Sitka and find out why they are not allowing Dish to carry their signal. You could also apply for a waiver, but chances are that KTNL TV 13 (CBS/"i") Sitka is denying all waiver requests due to a retransmission consent dispute with Dish. This is just speculation, it could be a fiber or signal strength issue, but you need to contact the station to find out why they are not on Dish. The channel is uplinked. Though I cannot speak for what is actually on the channel, it is there.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
You need to contact KTNL TV 13 (CBS/"i") Sitka and find out why they are not allowing Dish to carry their signal. You could also apply for a waiver, but chances are that KTNL TV 13 (CBS/"i") Sitka is denying all waiver requests due to a retransmission consent dispute with Dish. This is just speculation, it could be a fiber or signal strength issue, but you need to contact the station to find out why they are not on Dish. The channel is uplinked. Though I cannot speak for what is actually on the channel, it is there.

See ya
Tony

I did. They told me "no idea" on the Dish availability and "hell no" on the waiver. No more info. Do you kow anything about this dispute?

For some reason the station is not getting signal to dish is all I know. I don't know if it is a retransmission consent issue or whether they just are not providing signal to Dish's Juneau POP.

See ya
Tony

Request a waiver on Dish's website for a distant CBS I did and I was approved for CBS and NBC. I'm in MA so granted you might be different but worth a shot at least you would have A CBS

C1787GJ said:
Request a waiver on Dish's website for a distant CBS I did and I was approved for CBS and NBC. I'm in MA so granted you might be different but worth a shot at least you would have A CBS

Well... as of today my "waiver status" says "no waiver requests are on file"
I don't care what CBS station I get as long as I get a CBS station.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts