NO CFL Games on NFL Network in Canada - Why?

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 4, 2006
I am a subscriber to NFL Network on channel 448. Does anyone know why ALL the CFL games on NFL Network are Blacked out in Canada? That is, there are approx 14 CFL games scheduled to be broadcast, but all I can see on the PVR when I go ahead up to 9 days is: "Blackout in Effect"?? This could be understood for local games, but even the Sask / Hamilton game in the next province on this Saturday July 31 is Blacked out?? Anyone know why??

I am a subscriber to NFL Network on channel 448. Does anyone know why ALL the CFL games on NFL Network are Blacked out in Canada? That is, there are approx 14 CFL games scheduled to be broadcast, but all I can see on the PVR when I go ahead up to 9 days is: "Blackout in Effect"?? This could be understood for local games, but even the Sask / Hamilton game in the next province on this Saturday July 31 is Blacked out?? Anyone know why??

TSN and RDS have the broadcast rights for CFL in Canada.

TSN has the games....The NFL Network just takes the feed from TSN
RDS only has Montreal games in French

Yes Iceberg the games are shown off of the TSN Feed on NFL Netwk. re the post from CFL.ca. Maybe TSN wants all Canadians to watch the games Only on TSN re commercials and advertising. I just thought seeing the games re the NFL folks broadcasters' comments would be interesting. Don't know if you caught the first game between Montreal Alouettes and Saskatchewan Roughriders on July 1 (Canada Day) but it was a barnburner with Sask finally winning out 50 to 43.

yes I have seen most of the games. Since I have access to both (NFL Net US and TSN) you're not missing anything.
The games on the NFL Net are shown as is except commercials. Halftime is the TSN guys. NFL Network during halftime does cut in with a "NFL Net update" that is pre-taped with happenings around the NFL (teams reporting to camp etc)

The NFL Network version for Canada is the "stripped down" version. There was originally 2 versions and there probably still is depending on how "cheap" your cable company was. The 2 versions were the ones who got the NFL games and the ones who didn't. The ones who didnt got other programming during those games. The NFL games on there are shown on I think Rogers Sportsnet this year (use to be TSN)

yes I have seen most of the games. Since I have access to both (NFL Net US and TSN) you're not missing anything.
The games on the NFL Net are shown as is except commercials. Halftime is the TSN guys. NFL Network during halftime does cut in with a "NFL Net update" that is pre-taped with happenings around the NFL (teams reporting to camp etc)

The NFL Network version for Canada is the "stripped down" version. There was originally 2 versions and there probably still is depending on how "cheap" your cable company was. The 2 versions were the ones who got the NFL games and the ones who didn't. The ones who didnt got other programming during those games. The NFL games on there are shown on I think Rogers Sportsnet this year (use to be TSN)

Iceberg thanks for the reply. Well I hope my NFL Network provider (Bell Canada) hasn't gone to the cheaper setup, because I did get the NFL games from NFL Network Channel 448 - mostly on Monday nights last year, and I think the odd game was on a Thursday night.

interesting that they are showing the games on NFL Net when in Canada the righs are held by other channels (formerly TSN and now Rogers Sportsnet)

You mention theyre blacked out...that would be TSN invoking its right to have the game blacked out on other stations...they do that with Formula 1 stuff on Speed

interesting that they are showing the games on NFL Net when in Canada the righs are held by other channels (formerly TSN and now Rogers Sportsnet)

You mention theyre blacked out...that would be TSN invoking its right to have the game blacked out on other stations...they do that with Formula 1 stuff on Speed

Iceberg yes I guess TSN is invoking their rights and blocking NFL Netwk from carrying the CFL in Canada.

Re NFL coverage up here, as you may know, the Rogers Sportsnet NFL games were usually on Sundays shared or subcontracted to CTV as well, and I think there were some Fox or CBS games in the Afternoon on my Bell sub re East and West feeds. The problem with the NFL games on CTV especially in Sept / Oct is you sometimes get the same game all across Canada. On Sunday nights we were getting Sunday night football on TSN, and on Mondays - the games were on NFL Network re Mike Toriko, John Gruden, & Jaws, since ABC lost the contract after some 40 years. Also for variety on Sundays I would sometimes checkout the NFL games on 99.0W and on 93.0W on Azteca in Spanish. Lots to watch hope it keeps up.

Re NFL coverage up here, as you may know, the Rogers Sportsnet NFL games were usually on Sundays shared or subcontracted to CTV as well, and I think there were some Fox or CBS games in the Afternoon on my Bell sub re East and West feeds. The problem with the NFL games on CTV especially in Sept / Oct is you sometimes get the same game all across Canada.
I'm fully aware of the contract. CTV had the early game, City and Sportsnet had the late game. In most cases it was one already on the existing nets

On Sunday nights we were getting Sunday night football on TSN, and on Mondays - the games were on NFL Network re Mike Toriko, John Gruden, & Jaws, since ABC lost the contract after some 40 years.

yep both SNF & MNF are on TSN too

As have been the Thursday NFL Network games, they are shown on TSN in Canada, not the NFL Network. And before TSN, they were on Rogers.

Well in Manitoba Before the Sunday afternoon NFL games were subcontracted to CTV I think 2 years ago, - they were on Global Network - Canada's 3rd TV Network. I distinctly remember this because with paying for Bell's East & West Feeds I could easily pick up 4 games each Sunday starting with Global Halifax for the early game, and finishing up with Global Calgary or Vancouver for the late Sunday afternoon game. With CTV your usually stuck with one game - period most of the time, and it doesn't change if you go to CTV Toronto or Vancouver. You are correct that the Sunday night game is on TSN.

yep Global had the games on Sunday 2 years ago..They could do both ealy and late games on Global & CH (formerly E!) because they had the contract...

CTV's contract was only for the early game. City has the late game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)