No charges for those w/ outstanding service calls?

windhunde

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Hillsboro, VA
I got my final bill yesterday and was charged in full for service through April 30 despite their promise to not charge from the date of the service request.

Voom's email on April 8 said:
We're sorry to inform you that VOOM will discontinue providing service as of April 30, 2005. As a result, we have cancelled your scheduled service visit. You will not be billed for service beyond the date we received your service request.​

Yesterday, the CSR said that what the letter meant to say was that they would be reviewing each account and might provide credit. That really is a bit of a stretch.

Anyone else get charged???

Hopefully he was just uninformed and this was just an oversight. I asked him escalated the issue. Hopefully this will get resolved soon.

Dan

windhunde said:
Yesterday, the CSR said that what the letter meant to say was that they would be reviewing each account and might provide credit. That really is a bit of a stretch.

That was not what it said. It doesn't matter what Rainbow "meant" to say they didn't say it. This would be like me punching you and then I turn around and say 'I didn't mean to hit you.' I would fight it.

I had a service call scheduled for April 9th, the apointment was made on March 29th. Then I get this e-mail on the 8th.

"We're sorry to inform you that VOOM will discontinue providing service as of April 30, 2005. As a result, we have cancelled your scheduled service visit. You will not be billed for service beyond the date we received your service request. If you have any questions you may call 1-800-GET-VOOM. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
VOOM"

I took the e-mail exactly how it's written, but today I get a bill for service up to April 30th. I called voom and got the most incredibly rude csr, finally asked to speak with supervisor. He said he would flag the account for review but I'm not holding my breath.
If they insist on me paying the bill it will take 8 to 12 week for processing and I'll send the recievers back to them c.o.d.

If they don't honor their letter, I'll definitely fight them.

I called Discover card last night and they confirmed that I have 180 days to dispute a charge, so I'll give them another month to resolve it.

Dan

Don't wait

jkenzie said:
I had a service call scheduled for April 9th, the apointment was made on March 29th. Then I get this e-mail on the 8th.

"We're sorry to inform you that VOOM will discontinue providing service as of April 30, 2005. As a result, we have cancelled your scheduled service visit. You will not be billed for service beyond the date we received your service request. If you have any questions you may call 1-800-GET-VOOM. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
VOOM"

I took the e-mail exactly how it's written, but today I get a bill for service up to April 30th. I called voom and got the most incredibly rude csr, finally asked to speak with supervisor. He said he would flag the account for review but I'm not holding my breath.
If they insist on me paying the bill it will take 8 to 12 week for processing and I'll send the recievers back to them c.o.d.

Given Voom's history of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing, don't wait for them to resolve this on their end. Save the e-mail, make a printed copy, call in and deactivate your credit card, if you haven't already done so, inform your credit card company not to accept any charges made by Voom and get Voom's Corporates address and send them a letter of protest. According to my calculations, and based on the script that we were given at the time, you should receive a refund for two days service.
I'm no longer a Voom CSR, but I can verify that we were given a memo stating that you would not be charged past the date you called in for your service request.

I received my bill today as well and was charged 31.29. I had been a valued Voom customer for over 1 year and was direct debited on the 15th of every month. I had called them on April 8th to tell them that I wanted the direct debit to stop and when my service that the 3/15 payment covered was over I wanted the service cancelled to avoid any future charges beyond 4/15.

Apparently......!! I was supposed to actually call back on 4/15 to disconnect the service as they weren't able to process a future disconnect date on the date that I called (4/8). This was not the impression I was left with after having my phone coversation with Voom's csr. I actually stopped watching Voom on 4/15 as I felt my service would be cancelled.

I figured, no sweat I'll just call Voom and explain the circumstances of this mis-communication and they'll waive the charges. I couldn't have been more wrong!! I just spent 20 minutes going round and round with first a csr and then a manager. It got very heated on my part and I got absolutely nowhere. They will not waive the fee and in this case the customer is not always right!! They kept saying "there's nothing we can do, the signal was sent until 4/30 and our notes say you were going to call and disconnect", "we'll note on your account that you don't agree with the charges but we expect full payment", "our notes say blah blah blah yada yada yada"

My dilemma now is do I send the 31.29 in defeat or not pay them on principle. Are they really going to send me to collection and put on the full court press for 31 bucks?? I really can't believe that they would treat a long time Voom customer this way and up until today I had nothing but good things to say about Voom customer service.

Am I in the wrong here and just don't see it?? What do you guys think?

capsfan said:

Although in my case I'd probably just pay the $31 and chalk it up to experience, I'd say this is a grey area. Dispute the charge with your credit card company and see how it turns out.

CDH.

capsfan said:
Apparently......!! I was supposed to actually call back on 4/15 to disconnect the service as they weren't able to process a future disconnect date on the date that I called (4/8). This was not the impression I was left with after having my phone coversation with Voom's csr. I actually stopped watching Voom on 4/15 as I felt my service would be cancelled.

In 1999, I wanted to cancel Dish Network immediately on the completion of my one year contract, so I called a few days before to arrange for a disconnect. I was told that they can't disconnect until the date and was told to call back. So, I think they are probably right on the timing issue, but they may not have communicated that clearly to you...

I would pay the $31 as they are technically correct and it's not worth the hassle.

BTW, when I was told by Dish that they couldn't arrange for a future disconnect, I asked them to disconnect now and bill me (as regular) for the full period and they said that would not satisfy my one-year SERVICE commitment...

Now, six years later, I am with Dish again and so far this time I am very happy with their service. The 10 Voom channels plus no HD equipment cost and free installation was too good to pass up! The PQ on the Voom channels is excellent...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)