No COMPELLING reason to upgrade, sorry Charlie

sixbears

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Wyoming, NY
Own an 811, Lease a 942

Have $10 HDpak and Voom with $5 discount

so to upgrade will cost $99+$49 (if I wait until rebate time)

for what? the ability to receive the NEW HD content that I will have to pay more $$ for that (in my eyes) really does not seem compelling actually (other than Universal HD)

Think I waill stay put until I see a better option.

Sorry Charile......

sixbears said:
Own an 811, Lease a 942
for what? the ability to receive the NEW HD content that I will have to pay more $$ for that (in my eyes) really does not seem compelling actually (other than Universal HD)
Sorry Charile......

Great. The more folks who make that choice the easier it will be for the rest of us to get vip receivers without long waits!:rolleyes:

This has been a bad week for DiSH customers

Along with these new costs we have to incure to upgrade to mpeg4
we also get these increases:

-additional channels increase hd package cost
-Programming package increase
-Additional HD receiver outlet fee increase
-per receiver DVR increase (and I still can't see my local OTA channel guide on my 942!!!!!)

They are pricing me right out of the satellite market. When I 1st sign up with dish I remember my monthly bill was $20. I am at least lucky that I can receive OTA HDTV because that maybe all I have soon.:confused:

Last edited:
if Dish would deliver 100% True 1920x1080i HD then they can charge me whatever they want and I will pay it

I am sure most folks here would be perfectly fine with increases and new hardware, if Dish will give us what they should:

"broadcast HD the resolution you receive it in"

-Gary

I could not agree more with you. The problem of HD lite was not even included in my list of gripes.

Neither was the entire idea of paying a fee to allow you the ability to use a hard drive you paid for they call DVR.

I can't say that I disagree with the OP. It's not just the HD Lite thing either, but more the content. I currently don't subscribe to VOOM because I really haven't heard anybody super excited about them. The Universal HD and ESPN2HD are appealing, but I can't see justifying the expense for the 2 channels. I currently get all of my HD locals OTA with great PQ and Discovery HD Theater through my current HD Pak.

I'm not sure what we're supposed to be jumping up and down about, but at this point the MPEG-4 upgrade channels just aren't that enticing. I'm sure as they add more later in the year and into next year it may change things, but I'm also sure DirecTV as well as my cable company will be upping their offers too.

Gary Murrell said:
if Dish would deliver 100% True 1920x1080i HD then they can charge me whatever they want and I will pay it

I am sure most folks here would be perfectly fine with increases and new hardware, if Dish will give us what they should:

-Gary

You're shooting yourself in the foot a little bit there Gary. For any plan to work it has to have enough equaliberium and balance to find acceptance by a wide range of customers. A few willing to pay almost anything probably won't make up for a lot willing to pay what's reasonable.

Gary Murrell said:
-Gary
I could not agree with you more. If E were really upgrading our service then their upgrade options would be more appealing. I would then look at their offer as meeting us half way (people who have multiple receivers) and that would be generous. but in fact, they are down grading our service. in addition, when will we see new VOOM content, I turned on Equator the other day (We like that channel) and saw the same programs as we did a year ago and have seen a 100 times since.

Truly people, if E were truly upgrading and giving us a better service, why should they give everything away to upgrade us, you get what you pay for.

So Charlie, Broadcast in TRUE HD and I thank you for your generous offer for meeting me half way on upgrading my equipment that I own. Continue to broadcast in HD Lite then customers that want to continue with E should take the one receiver offer and chose a favorite room in your house to watch TV in and wait 1 year for another receiver. but damn Charlie, downgrades should be free.

I sure hope that E & D are not trying to set a new standard for HD by broadcasting in HD Lite, The next thing you will see are TV's on the market called HDTV with a standard resolution of 1280 x1080

Last edited:
I also see no reason to trade in my $600 DVR and pay $99 to upgrade and pay more for service that is HD lite & for programming that really isn't compelling (repeated over and over). I too have Voom & HDNET and pay $10.00 a month now. Maybe if they added more programming to the packages or at least upped the resolution, I might seriously consider it. I have enough trouble with the 921 not to want to jump into a new and untested receiver.

Good Luck to those who will be the G. pigs for the rest of us....bless you!

sixbears said:
Own an 811, Lease a 942
Sorry Charile......

You bring up an intresting point. I also dont see a whole lot of reason to pay an extra $10 for the added HD channels. I didn't want VOOM when it was its own service and I don't want it now.

But will the old HD pack even exisit after Feb 1? Or will you be "upgraded" regardless?

Personally the new Mpeg4 DVR is somewhat appealing as I don't have a DVR yet but the only MPEG4 stuff I might want is locals. And that shouldn't cost extra.

MacKenzieIII said:
You bring up an intresting point. I also dont see a whole lot of reason to pay an extra $10 for the added HD channels. I didn't want VOOM when it was its own service and I don't want it now.
But will the old HD pack even exisit after Feb 1? Or will you be "upgraded" regardless?
Personally the new Mpeg4 DVR is somewhat appealing as I don't have a DVR yet but the only MPEG4 stuff I might want is locals. And that shouldn't cost extra.

From what Charlie said on the Chat Monday, If you don't want the new channels, you can keep everything the same as it is now. That's what I plan on doing.

Sparkman said:
From what Charlie said on the Chat Monday, If you don't want the new channels, you can keep everything the same as it is now. That's what I plan on doing.
Yeah, I think thats what i am going to do too.

I currently have the HD pack, and I do not want Voom. I don't feel like paying $48(or is it $98?) to upgrade my 811 to a 211, then pay an extra $10 per month for the HD pack. I would like to have ESPN2 HD, but I'm not willing to pay that much just for it.

MacKenzieIII said:
Agreed HD Locals are good stuff. But to get that all you need is the new receiver. No reason to pay for the $20 HD pack to get the locals.

Accept this thread was about the cost of the receiver upgrade. That's why i, and many others, will pay for the upgade, $99 or $49, was my point.

gbjbany said:
Accept this thread was about the cost of the receiver upgrade. That's why i, and many others, will pay for the upgade, $99 or $49, was my point.
The 1st post was about a lack of compelling reason change to the new HD pack, and the new Mpeg4. Not just the receiver. But no matter.

Personally I agree with respect to the higher cost HD Pack with littled added. The cost for the new hardware is not great but could be worse in my opinion.

MacKenzieIII said:
The 1st post was about a lack of compelling reason change to the new HD pack, and the new Mpeg4. Not just the receiver. But no matter.
Personally I agree with respect to the higher cost HD Pack with littled added. The cost for the new hardware is not great but could be worse in my opinion.

The hardware deal is not too bad unless you own your equipment. Then it sucks! And the limit on 1 receiver upgrade per year is crazy.

sixbears said:
Own an 811, Lease a 942
Sorry Charile......

Agreed. The extra content is just not worth the hassle. Even at the $99 price point. I'm waiting for more content.

After a few days if digesting (indigestion, burping, vomiting, actually) the Charlie Chat, I am thinking this exactly--especially as I look at the new VOOm line up--they didn't include LAB which I REALLY wanted to see. I won't watch the Game Play and don't watch many of the other VOOm channels, especially in HD-Lite.

I liked the movie channels and would like the World Cinema and Family Room, but those two are really all I would watch and UHD--only BSG, so, for 3 channels and "maybe" the DN locals (no guarantee, so), no, won't shell out $299 up front plus an extra $10/month and wait..... and wait..... and wait.... for the $200 rebate and another install. and wait.... and wait....

I have C_band the PQ on a stretched Starz Movie channel is about as good as the HD Lite.

My taxes went up this year and so I can't justify any extra expenses at this point.

How long can we just keep what we have (942) and the channels we have until we are forced to "upgrade"?

well that brings up a very interesting question. .....

Will Dish ever really convert 100% over to MPEG4? Do they really need too? They are correcting the bandwidth problem now by only transmitting NEW HD offerings in MPEG4. It really makes no sense in the foreseeable future to force or swap out equipment of subscribers in order to go to a fullly MPEG4 system.

Any full conversion by Dish Network over to MPEG4 may take years to complete. It is my feeling that the 942 could still be useful for at least the programming it is currently receiving for quite some time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)