No dish service due to snow

miker57

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
We are having the first light snow of the season in MN, and I see the 1000.2 sat dish is accumulating snow and I have no dish service, just the 015 msg on the screen. The E* dish angle collects snow more easily, whereas with my old D* dish the snow just slipped off due to the steeper angle.

My dish is mounted high on the roof top and it is not safe to go up there to clear the snow.

Is there any coatings or heat tape solutions available that could be applied to the dish to prevent snow or ice build ups?

At this point we have no service until the sun comes out again.

We are having the first light snow of the season in MN, and I see the 1000.2 sat dish is accumulating snow and I have no dish service, just the 015 msg on the screen. The E* dish angle collects snow more easily, whereas with my old D* dish the snow just slipped off due to the steeper angle.

My dish is mounted high on the roof top and it is not safe to go up there to clear the snow.

Is there any coatings or heat tape solutions available that could be applied to the dish to prevent snow or ice build ups?

At this point we have no service until the sun comes out again.

Just take a garden hose and squirt some water on it. That will get rid of the snow/ice in a hurry. Dish heaters are available.

Here in the Inland Northwest we had the biggest snow year in decades last winter so keeping my dish clear on top of my roof was quite the challenge. I did apply some silicone spray before the season and I think it helped some. But once I had almost 3 feet of snow on the roof... Looking back however, the longest I went with no signal at all was about 8 hours or less and that happened only 3 or 4 times.

This fall I installed a dish heater called the Ice Zapper.
Montana Satellite Supply - Satellite Dish Covers, Satellite Dish Heaters & more!

Not so sure how well it is going to work but thought I would give it a try.

Dish Heater is the best solution (I have one on each of my two Dish Network dishes).

Check ebay - sometimes you see old stock cleared out at bargain prices.

Yeah dry lubricant works pretty good,

where are you in MN that the snowfall knocked out the dish signal???

Heck I'm in SW suburbs and we got maybe 1/2"..most of the rest of the state got rain (the farther north ya went)

I had my first snow a few days ago, not enough to cover the dish,but signal still went in and out. I attribute this to the storm being out in the atmosphere between dish and sat. I put small trash bags over dishes, sometimes snow builds up on bags, but it is a lot easier to get off.
That dry lube sounds like it might be worth trying.
Dan

where are you in MN that the snowfall knocked out the dish signal???

I'm in the Buffalo area. There was only 1/2" or less but it coated the dish with enough snow that I lost the signal for several hours.

I will try the dry lube. If that doesn't work I'll look into the dish heaters.

Thanks to all that replied.

One advantage of putting the Dish on the edge of my deck is I just walk out with a broom and it makes alignment easy. The 1000 is not as good as the 500 before it was because it seems like it has less effective area. The 61.5 dish seems to last longer because it is nearly vertical here. Yes, we have snow in New Mexico, just not as much even at 7100 ft.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts