No Dish Sling For VIP211

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
Is not possible at this moment. I have mine hooked to the Internet and a HD connected, but because the software has not been changed to allow it be accessed via Sling, you can't As it is now, you can not search with the VIP211, you can only scroll through the guide and it is a pain. Adding the ability to use Sling would help immensely. Tried to get a request to engineering via technical support and that is like trying to teach a pig to sing. Is there a way to request this feature be included in a future software release? Email Charlie? Help!

I'm pretty sure he's talking about just plain-old DISH Remote Access.

Exactly. Sling is in the website name so sorry for the confusion. https://dish.sling.com/ I want to be able to use remote access to set up programs to DVR. You can neither search the guide with current software or use Remote Access. The only thing it has is list by category. How do we get a message to the engineers to work on some software to allow remote access or even guide search for those who have activated the USB and attached an EDD?

That only works with ViP receivers with a built-in DVR. Since the 211(k) doesn't have the DVR built-in, it doesn't work.

As for can you request a software upgrade for it, Dish probably won't because that is what the 722/622, 612 and 922 are for.

As for can you request a software upgrade for it, Dish probably won't because that is what the 722/622, 612 and 922 are for.

I have activated the USB. I have attached an external HD. It is now a DVR. I just have to manually search through the program guide to find something to DVR. It has all the functions of a DVR once I added the external HD. You see now? It does what all the other DVR models do but you can neither search the listings nor use Dish Remote. I would like engineering to work on software to enable both or either. I am tired of scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.... Get it? I paid 40 bucks to activate the port and use it as a DVR. Now give me some software! Now. Does ANYONE have a way to get the attention of whomever it is that writes the programming? Email Charlie? Customer service and technical support were clueless on how to get a request to engineering.

I understand all that. Since it was not manufactured with a DVR built-in, it will not work. I'm sure they could update the software to allow it, however, that setup is already available in the 612 receiver. I doubt they will go thru the trouble.

I understand all that. Since it was not manufactured with a DVR built-in, it will not work. I'm sure they could update the software to allow it, however, that setup is already available in the 612 receiver. I doubt they will go thru the trouble.

If you have nothing helpful or that makes sense to write, why are you doing it? The 211 HAS DVR SOFTWARE ALREADY WRITTEN FOR IT! They just DID NOT INCLUDE A SEARCH FUNCTION. I can DVR, see the recordings, record new, all, etc... BUT I CAN NOT SEARCH. They just need to add SEARCH or enable Dish Remote and issue a software update. That's ALL. Pretty simple since its already written for other receivers. The only reason they wouldn't want to write it is if they think Dish is going to lose the lawsuit and everyone's DVRs will be deactivated. HOW do I get the attention of the engineers? Anyone?

get a grip. What you want is not an advertised feature of the 211. dish doesnt advertise ehd plus dra/dvr for that receiver.

I have a grip. Why are they half @ssed in making it a DVR. They are the ones that created the ability for it to become a DVR, not me. They are the ones that wrote software for it be a DVR not me. I would like to contact someone IN ENGINEERING to ask if they would do this. I am a customer aren't I? I know that means nothing to many.

If you want full DVR features get a real DVR and pay your $6 DVR fee like the rest of us.....

I pay plenty to Dish, over $1500/year. I would be glad to pay another fee on top of the activation fee FOR SOME FUNCTION. But why should I buy another receiver? They wrote software for it to become a DVR if I bought an external HD. They did this. And no search on the guide. Just scroll. No Dish Remote access.

But he thanks for the info on how to get in touch with engineering. You are as helpful as Dish Customer Service. I will just call a VP this week and discuss it. Thanks.

What do you mean you can't search? I have a 211k with the dvr add-on and when I hit the # button the search window cpm's up. Is that what you are looking for?

I just saw that you have a 211 maybe that is different? I don't have one of those to try.

What do you mean you can't search? I have a 211k with the dvr add-on and when I hit the # button the search window cpm's up. Is that what you are looking for?

I have the old VIP211. Dish decided to enable the USB on them (for a fee) so you could add an external HDD and use it for the DVR HD. Now that was a couple of years ago, at least. The only way to record is go through the guide manually. When you go into the menu and hit search, what you get is the same as scroll by catagory, the left side of the circle on the remote. The old VIP211 also have an internet cable jack that is activated.

And yeah, its not an advertised feature. SO WHAT? I am just going to call one of the VPs and talk to them this week. Thought I would get some answers here, since I have over the past 6 years. But this place seems to have changed.

not an advertised feature.

Really? I guess this is all my imagination. But when they say, enjoy all the benefits of an HD DVR, I would rank search among the benefits along with access to Dish Remote.

DISH Network - Receivers - 1.800.823.4929

Want to Turn Your Solo ViP® 211 or Solo ViP® 211k Into a DVR?

DISH Network customers with a Solo ViP® 211 or a Solo ViP® 211k HD satellite receiver can now enjoy all of the benefits of an HD DVR with the addition of an external hard drive. Available at most electronics retailers, these devices connect to a Solo ViP® 211 or a Solo ViP® 211k HD satellite receiver via a USB 2.0 cable and allow customers to convert their receivers into an HD DVR.

Turn a Dish ViP211 receiver into a DVR for $40 and a cheap hard drive

DISH Network ViP211 and ViP211k DVR Conversion Feature Now Available | BestStuff

November 12, 2008 – DISH Network Corporation just announced its award-winning ViP211 and ViP211k DVR Conversion feature will be available at the end of the month. The DVR Conversion feature offers customers the ability to convert their single tuner ViP211 and ViP211k into DVRs by attaching an external hard drive.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts