No EHD capability for 222k, now what?

Baltzer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
NE PA USA
Last week I got a Dish setup w/ a 222k receiver. Based on some posts I read here I thought the 222k was EHD capable. Today, after further research I discovered the 222k doesn't have the capability. It seems Dish doesn't currently offer an EHD-capable, non-DVR HD receiver so I would have to go to a receiver with a built-in DVR. Since I signed up for AT250 w/ a 24-month contract would Dish swap for a 722k? I know I would have a monthly DVR fee but would there also be an upgrade and/or service call fee? Also, the 722k manual says the 7-day program guide is only available from the 119 sat. Is this still correct? I'm on EA and can't "see" WA from my property. I would think Dish would offer the 7-day guide for EA customers but I want to know for sure.
B.

The 211/211K are single tuner boxes and support EHD.

If you need dual tuner then the 722(k) is what will be required. If you call and ask nicely (or PM a DIRT member here) they may go ahead and upgrade to a 722 since it means more revenue for them in the form of the $6 DVR fee.

If a single tuner is OK, then the 211 would save the DVR fee in exchange for $40 up front, but they may still charge you for the swap even though it's not really an upgrade.

The seven (actually 9) day guide is available on both arcs, but requires a DVR or 211 with EHD.

As pointed out Dish does offer a non DVR HD receiver that can have the EHD, just not the one you thought. I've seen other posts in the past were someone confused the 222 and 211. So if you do not need a dual tuner, you can save that monthly fee and get a 211 then add the EHD. You could also get a 612, it's a dual tuner with one output. I mention that because if Dish won't give you the 722, you could ask for the 612 instead.

I was originally considering the 211k and an add-on EHD but decided against it because that setup wouldn't allow watching one channel while recording another. A question about the 722k: Even though the TV2 output is SD are both tuners HD so I could watch one channel in HD while simultaneously recording another channel in HD?
B.

I was originally considering the 211k and an add-on EHD but decided against it because that setup wouldn't allow watching one channel while recording another. A question about the 722k: Even though the TV2 output is SD are both tuners HD so I could watch one channel in HD while simultaneously recording another channel in HD?
B.

If you PM your phone number or account number, I can get you info on upgrading/changing your receivers out

After searching posts for info on the 722 receiver I decided not to go that route because of so many problems reported with that model. I decided on a 211, even though it has only one tuner. Living alone, I watch only one TV at a time and I will limit recordings to times I'm not watching live TV. Thanks to MattG the receiver swap was trouble-free and no cost. I just ordered a recertified WD 1.5TB EHD from Newegg for $69.99 and am looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. Thanks again to MattG and everyone else for the help.

722/722K are solid receivers. On the Internet you'll find problems with just about anything. Life is full of chances, but the chances of a 722/722K causing you major problems is probably less than the chance of having a car wreck (unless you don't drive.)

That being said, 211/211K are also great receivers.

I have a 612 and a 722K. I like the 612 and use it on the road since it has an OTA tuner built in. This way I get digital audio from the OTA stations to my home theater which I would not if I used the 722K. Plus it is simple to wipe the OTA slate clean. Doing it on the Panasonic TV's is a pain.

I have a 612 and a 722K. I like the 612 and use it on the road since it has an OTA tuner built in. This way I get digital audio from the OTA stations to my home theater which I would not if I used the 722K. Plus it is simple to wipe the OTA slate clean. Doing it on the Panasonic TV's is a pain.

You can get OTA just fine, including digital audio, on the 722K provided you have the OTA module....

You can get OTA just fine, including digital audio, on the 722K provided you have the OTA module....
Any idea why they would install the 722K without the OTA module and the 612 with the module.
Just curious since I don't plan to use the 722K on the road and there are no OTA signals where I live.

The 612 has a built in OTA tuner. The 722K has an add-on module that has 2 OTA tuners. It has an additional one time cost for the module. You are the ideal model for why they did that. If you get no OTA, they have no reason to spend the dollars to add it to the receiver....

Johnwadams....For the record, there is NO OTA module for the 612...one tuner built in. That's why there was no charge...nothing to be charged.

Last edited:
KAB said:
Johnwadams....For the record, there is NO OTA module for the 612...one tuner built in. That's why there was no charge...nothing to be charged.

I'm loving how noone is reading the thread before posting. 612 has internal tuner (not removable), 722 has add-on module for dual tuner for 2 antennas that has to be purchased.

After searching posts for info on the 722 receiver I decided not to go that route because of so many problems reported with that model. I decided on a 211, even though it has only one tuner. Living alone, I watch only one TV at a time and I will limit recordings to times I'm not watching live TV. Thanks to MattG the receiver swap was trouble-free and no cost. I just ordered a recertified WD 1.5TB EHD from Newegg for $69.99 and am looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. Thanks again to MattG and everyone else for the help.

The 211/211k software is only approved for up to 1 TB at this point..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)