No Free HDMI cables anymore

The guy that installed my Mom's new 722 last week didn't even have component. He took a couple sets of composite cables and used them as a poor man's component cable. I ordered her a Monoprice HDMI which works great. It's kind of hard to believe how cheap Dish is getting these days. If Monoprice can sell them for $5 and make a profit, Dish ought to be able to include them for free with a new receiver.

Just upgraded my old 811 to a 211 this past week, and was surprised to still see an HDMI cable in the box (as well as Component and Composite cables for that matter)

Probably because that box had been sitting in the warehouse since before they decided to stop providing the cables. I'll bet any new ones being packed don't have them in it.

Probably because that box had been sitting in the warehouse since before they decided to stop providing the cables. I'll bet any new ones being packed don't have them in it.

Probably the case, though I wouldnt put it past Dish to go back and open the old boxes to take them out! LOL :D

HDMI cables seem to be the latest consumer scam. Even Walmart and BestBuy are scalping people from $45 to $55 for 1.3 cables that can be had from Monoprice for about a third of that.

HDMI cables seem to be the latest consumer scam.
Agreed. Maybe it's time for a 60 Minutes expose. Of course, the retailers are desparate to make back some money from low margin sales of TV sets. Ordinarily, I'm happy for ignorant people to pay bills for me (e.g. Lottery players), but these universally overpriced cables smack of an illegal price fixing conspiracy among major retailers.

Even Walmart and BestBuy are scalping people from $45 to $55 for 1.3 cables that can be had from Monoprice for about a third of that.
Actually, a lot less than a third! You can buy a six ft, HDMI 1.3 compliant, gold plated connector cable for $4 !!! :D

I just received a 211 today, had it shipped from Dish. I was surprised to find both component cables and a HDMI cable in the box.

Got my 211 and 222 installed last Saturday and neither box provided by the installer (Dish direct contractor) had an HDMI cable with it (211 box only had component cables and 222 box had component cables and a really cheap s-video cable). I get all my HDMI and DVI cables from MonoPrice. Can't beat the cost and quality. Beware of the lowest priced stuff on Amazon. Read the consumer reviews of those cables. They are cheap because they are made cheap. Poor QC and QA resulting in out-of-spec connectors that are either too large (seldom) or too small (often) or are easily damaged (cable to connector interface). MonoPrice cables don't have these kinds of problems and they are still very reasonably priced.

I don't have any affiliation with MonoPrice nor do I receive any compensation for endorsing their products.

Last edited:
go, Monoprice !

As someone who's visited MonoPrice, let me say that they are both helpful, and quick, as well as inexpensive.
And if you happen to catch one of their specials, even cheaper.
I got a bunch of optical cables for $1 each, the day I went.

The reason I visited was to see-before-I-buy, some wall mounting brackets for LCD TV sets.
They took me upstairs, and a knowledgeable and friendly technician showed me all the models.
Based on what we learned, my buddy chose one top-of-the-line design.
I chose the other. But we both agreed that either was exceptional.
(Their biggest/best were still in the $35..55 range)

If you know what you want, you can order on line, for will-call, with no shipping charge.
Then you go by and just pick it up. They'll have it ready for you.

We first got educated, then went back downstairs and placed our order on a computer terminal just like you'd do from home.
A minute later the order was printed out a few feet away, and the salesman took it to the warehouse to be filled.
We may have spent 10 to 20 minutes from ordering a trunk full of cables and brackets 'till we drove away.

- :up -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts